The Student Room Group

IB extended essay- biology ideas

Hey!
Im starting my IB extended essay and i want to do something in biology...im trying to focus on nutrition as that is my field of interest but i am having major problems finding a suitable research question
As those of you who are doing the IB know, for biology an experiment needs to be done and the topic needs to focus on living organisms...
I really need some help thinking of an idea based under that criteria...I was thinking of food and bacteris (living organism), but i don't know what i can do...
Can you please please please suggest some ideas...I have a deadline fo handing in my final topic in 3 days!!!!
please help..
thanks!
Reply 1
You need to think of an experiment you can carry out that will get you enough results to write a good essay. Choosing a science subject for your extended essay can be quite difficult but it can also be really interesting.

Try brainstorming a bit. You're thinking of food and bacteria...what kind of food? What kind of bacteria? Assuming you're looking for a connection between the two, think of what might connect food and bacteria - the time of decay of different food types? The different sort of bacteria collected? Anti-bacterial properties?

Just remember, if it doesn't go as well as you hoped once you've started, you can always adapt your plans and your essay - that's what research is about at every level. The 'final' topic that you hand in at the deadline is more so that you can show you're working on it and thinking about it. You won't be penalized if you change track half way through, as long as the final essay is up to scratch.

Good luck!
Reply 2
I'm struggling with the same problem. I need to write my EE but i haven't chosen a topic yet, I still got time, but people are telling me the sooner I get it over with, the better haha. I would love to write my EE on something related to human physiology, especially the effects of the diet on the physical and mental performance, but it sounds too hard to test it out. Anyone got any other ideas?
Reply 3
Original post by 12santiago3

Original post by 12santiago3
I'm struggling with the same problem. I need to write my EE but i haven't chosen a topic yet, I still got time, but people are telling me the sooner I get it over with, the better haha. I would love to write my EE on something related to human physiology, especially the effects of the diet on the physical and mental performance, but it sounds too hard to test it out. Anyone got any other ideas?

Hi, i am having the exact same problem as you had. I also like to do my EE on human physiology but I am finding it impossible to find a topic that I could actually carry out.
Im hoping that since you posted this about a year ago that you might have some advice you could give me?
@allebelle

hi , i see you are interested in doing your ee in biology ... I have to tell you this but you are pretty late in doing it with march coming up quickly . Dont forget that you will most likely choose a topic in which you will do experiments and i m not sure if the ibo allows experimentation on humans:P if you didnt do anything yet i dont recommend you to do something related with humans . look through your biology textbook or notes and find a topic which you like and seems realistic in the time you have.
Hi, I would also like to do my EE on Biology. I am interested on studying veterinary medicine, so I would not like to do it relating to plants.
I was thinking along the lines of bacteria or enzymes. Also, I thought something on Polyglycolide sutures would be very interesting, especially how the body is able to absorb this material. But the problem is, it will be hard to replicate/ simulate the dissolving/ breakdown of the material by the body.

Any ideas relating to the aforementioned areas? Biology...bacteria....enzymes....medicine...veterinary medicine?
How about, "investigating the effect of antibiotics on cell wall synthesis and protein synthesis?" But it does not seem as fascinating.

HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED! Thanks
hello! i'm in my second year of IB and just submitted my Extended Essay (Biology) - if you guys have any questions about the process feel free to ask! I know a lot of schools make you choose the subject around now if you're still in year 12 (11th grade), but i didn't finalise my topic until October of this year.

My main general tip would be to choose something that you're interested in, and a SIMPLE practical!! Literally cannot stress this enough, mine was related to human physiology but my experiment was a simple bacterial growth, and even that had plenty of complications. Keep it simple, and you'll be able to research a much more refined, specific topic in a lot of detail (and keep it under the word count! 4000 words seems like LOADS until you actually have to write it and you end up with 5000).
Reply 7
Hi! I'm going to do my extended essay in biology. I was thinking about doing that on nutrition. What do you think about measuring and comparing the amount of calories in different foods before and after cooking? For not being too simple, if possible to measure the amount of protein and etc...
I really need help!
Hi! Seeing as this was three years ago and you probably know much more now, I was wondering if you could help me with a topic for my EE, I am going to study medicine in college so I don't want anything to do with plants, I was thinking of doing something that has to do with hypothyroidism, but I don't know what. Help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 9
Hey! which grade did you end up getting with a simple experiment?
Original post by michele394
hello! i'm in my second year of IB and just submitted my Extended Essay (Biology) - if you guys have any questions about the process feel free to ask! I know a lot of schools make you choose the subject around now if you're still in year 12 (11th grade), but i didn't finalise my topic until October of this year.

My main general tip would be to choose something that you're interested in, and a SIMPLE practical!! Literally cannot stress this enough, mine was related to human physiology but my experiment was a simple bacterial growth, and even that had plenty of complications. Keep it simple, and you'll be able to research a much more refined, specific topic in a lot of detail (and keep it under the word count! 4000 words seems like LOADS until you actually have to write it and you end up with 5000).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending