The Student Room Group

Do you foresee a bright future? If not, why?

Poll

Will the future be better or worse than the present?

Do you think the future is bright, or rather dark?

EDIT: With this being N&CA, I was more wanting people to say whether they think the future of our society is likely to be better or worse, and to explain why, not your own personal future.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Worse. Lost the art of consistency around my mid-teens. If I was offered a million pounds to attend a certain place for 30 days at a set time, I'd probably quit on the 3rd day. Lazy right? I know...
I envisage a bright future for myself, I envisage a Mad Max, cultural appropriation, warring factions future for Western Civilisation. My bright future - which doesn't orientate around financial gain - will be enough to distract me from it and I suspect my death will precede the inevitable deconstruction of the greatest civilisation ever constructed (and the inevitable triumph of identity politics and anti-intellectualism over liberalism).
(edited 7 years ago)
Every day is just another brick on my long, slow path to an unmarked, untended grave.

Other than that, it looks pretty good! :biggrin:
Honestly feel like i'm gonna snuff it quite early on tbh :dontknow:
tbh wouldn't even care :smile:
No... I don't have 20/20 vision. :frown:
Definitely not a bright future! Not sure why, just too much in the way I think!
No mine is going to be crap.
Bleak like British weather.
Brighter, full of flames and napalm and nuclear weapons
Reply 10
Is this a thread about Islam taking over the country?
Hopefully mine will be well. Get a nice career together, and get married. A girl can only dream, and hope.
Reply 12
Terrible future
(I am a professional pessimist)
Original post by ohgeez
Is this a thread about Islam taking over the country?

Only as much as it's about donkeys putting plungers on their heads and calling themselves unicorns.
Original post by ImmunetoShaming
Only as much as it's about donkeys putting plungers on their heads and calling themselves unicorns.

Isn't that really just a metaphor for the human condition, though?
Aren't we all just pretending to be something fantastical, when in reality, we are all barely a footnote in the universe?
What?
Original post by WhisperingTide
Isn't that really just a metaphor for the human condition, though?
Aren't we all just pretending to be something fantastical, when in reality, we are all barely a footnote in the universe?
What?

Oh, absolutely. Nothing more than specks of dust. There are two types of people though:

1. Those who can accept it, without wanting to blow their brains out.
2. Those who want to delude themselves into believing there's any meaning to be derived from impermanence.

I fall into the former. Ultimately, everything we've come to believe is man-made. Love is nothing more than mutually compatible self-interest (where self-interest isn't fulfilled by either or, love becomes an afterthought), personality isn't something which belongs to you but is something other people incorrectly perceive of you and and there are no fundamental truths, or objective morals.

Hence why wanting more is the source of all unhappiness. Everything is backwards. Even depression is something which those who fall into camp 2 want to outlaw when, in reality, it doesn't make any sense - happiness has to have a relative measure, the only way to determine happiness is to compare it relative to unhappiness. Depression is on the scale of unhappiness, therefore if no-one is depressed no-one is happy, or tomorrow's happy is merely yesterday's depressed.

Then again, even the objective of 'happiness' - a very 21st century invention - is a spurious end goal, largely because happiness isn't permanent. It's something we all hanker after, apparently, but it only ever exists in fits and bursts; it isn't a constant, it's just a chemical reaction in your brain based on your perception of the world around you.

Those who fall into camp 2 also derive a certain sense of righteousness from their atheistic positioning, that they can find meaning from life without subscribing to 'belief' systems - the truth is, all they ever do is believe in the absence of logic. Their's are merely socially acceptable religions, ie, feminism, multiculturalism, diversity, equality, etc. - all are based around belief systems as opposed to any tangible or meaningful end goal.

Take the former - they've got their holy texts (feminine mystique), they've got their missionaries (our public broadcaster, the Guardian, etc.), they've got their holidays (International Women's Day), they've got their places of worship (gender studies departments, safe spaces, etc.)...it's how, in the absence of religion, they derive meaning. Religion has merely been replaced with identity, or rather more socially acceptable forms of religion, all of which are predicated on beliefs (ie, 'the patriarchy'), rather than any observable reality.

Welcome to life - it's full of nonsense, and nothing is as it seems.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's estimated that half the worlds population will be living in Africa in the coming decades, the ME is likewise having a population explosion. From a analytical standpoint, the scientific output per head is dropping significantly, this does not bode well for humanity.

Demographics with a higher output of science, not to mention economic activity which is more or less the same story, are currently spending all their time and resources on clean up duty. It's essentially indentured servitude for white Europeans, Soon there will come a time when we can't clean up their mess, we simply wont be able to contain their next 'Ebola' crisis or send them food or police their borders. There will be too few of us and too many of them.

What will happen is all 3, there will be a massive outbreak, famine will force them to eat contaminated food, and the will turn on one another. Unfortunately, they have the fertility rate to weather such a thing, white Europeans do not. So when it comes here, the outbreak of whatever disease they give us next, we will not replenish our numbers and they will. Rinse, repeat, recycle and we white people are basically a footnote in history. Humanity will limp on without us, enter another dark age and probably not come out of it.

I feel really depressed now :frown:

EDIT; places like China will simply burn their borders with these people, literally. So I guess there is still hope for humanity after all.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
#smashthestate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending