The Student Room Group

Nose piercing???

Ok, I'm considering getting my nose pierced cos I really like the look of having a tiny nose stud and think it goes well with the way I dress and the jewellery I tend to wear (kinda vintage/ boho etc.)

However, I'm a bit wary and want to know people's experiences of getting their nose pierced. Does it really hurt? Can it get infected easily? If you already have it done, do you regret it?

I'm 18 btw, and my only other experience of getting piercings is one hole in each ear!

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply 1
Try looking at the stories on Bmezine.com - they are really helpful.

I don't have mine done but I have been considering it for ages and I've asked loads of people.The majority say that it doesnt hurt much at all, it's just uncomfotrable. Others say that it does hurt, but only for a second.
Reply 2
I used to have my nose pierced and was reallys scared beforehand. However I can honestly say, hand on heart, that I think it hurt less than getting my ears pierced. Obviously it was a bit sore afterwards but I didn't have any problems with it whatsoever. I had to let it heal up for various reasons but I don't even have a scar now so its not the end of the world if you decide you don't like it. Hope this helps! :smile:
i have mine done and found it quite traumatic haha but someone i know completely disagrees with me! i went really faint but i do with all kinds of injections so perhaps i'm just an odd bod. but when they tell you to close your eyes do not open them for a long time haha, i made the mistake and saw a massive needle sticking out of my nose which frightened the life out of me!

but mine has caused me no trouble so i'd defiinitely recommend it if you're sure! :smile:
I had mine done last September and generally it was quite a good piercing to heal. I don't regret it at all because it looks absolutely gorgeous! Of course get it done at a reputable studio with a needle and not a gun.

The actual piercing felt like a tight pinch and took under a minute (excluding prep time). Putting the jewelery in was more painful than the needle going in, but it wasn't excruciating. My eyes watered a tiny bit, but that's absolutely normal.

The most common problem is developing a bump around the piercing, either inside out outside. I've still got a tiny bump now but it has never caused any problems. Soak the piercing with sea salt + water twice daily but don't over clean it and be careful when washing/drying your face. The piercing will be quite tender for the first 1-2 months. I wouldn't change it for at least 2 months - I kept my initial stud in for about 7 months so make sure everything was fully healed.

Titanium jewelery is great for healing as are nose screws (the metal is twisted into a U shape). I would advise against nose bones because they do more damage than good (the studs that have a little metal ball on the end).

It's a beautiful piercing to get and nobody has ever said a negative comment about it :biggrin:
Reply 5
piccadilly_palare
i have mine done and found it quite traumatic haha but someone i know completely disagrees with me! i went really faint but i do with all kinds of injections so perhaps i'm just an odd bod. but when they tell you to close your eyes do not open them for a long time haha, i made the mistake and saw a massive needle sticking out of my nose which frightened the life out of me!

but mine has caused me no trouble so i'd defiinitely recommend it if you're sure! :smile:

omg! I'm feeling faint. :s-smilie:
Reply 6
thanks everyone! Anyone else got any experiences to share??

cheers. xxx
Reply 7
I have both nostrils pierced. One had to be repierced, it was a little uneven the first time, so I guess I had it pierced 3 times in about 10 minutes :P Haha. It's painful, but obviously not unbearable. You'll live. Your eyes will probably water a lot, it's just a natural reaction. Mine watered really badly, heh.

Don't get it done with a gun - hopefully that's stating the obvious but unfortunately some people are idiots, and do exactly that. And no, I'm not bothered if I offend anyone with that - you are idiots ;D

Get it done by a reputable piercer, do warm sea salt soaks for aftercare and don't mess with it, and you should be fine. Mine have been done since January but they're still not fully healed, and I haven't changed them yet. Leave the original stud in as long as you can, really. Infections are pretty rare, but it is relatively common for small bumps (hypertrophic scarring or granulomas) to appear on nose piercings, they tend to get knocked around a lot and people mess with them - I know I do :P They're usually quite easy to get rid of though, so don't panic if it happens. I just do slightly stronger sea salt soaks (normal ones should be about 1/4 tsp salt to 8oz boiled water) 2-3 times a day and it goes down after a few days. There are other methods though - chamomile tea soaks apparently work wonders for some people.

Once it's healed, avoid nose bones, by the way. Use nostril screws, titanium or implant-grade steel.
It didn't hurt me at all when I had it done (and the evil bastard even used a gun, although it was about 5 years ago, I was 14 and hadn't been pierced since my ears about 5 years before that, hence not knowing the problems with guns)...anyway that's besides the point, I loved it but by studs always seemed to fall out in the night which could be painful in the morning but nothing to moan about.
Similarly, I let mine heal up a couple of times and re-did it myself which despite my obvious inexperience was a lot less painful than getting my snakebite!
Anyways, they usually look really cute you should get one! But if you ever get bored of it, it does leave a litte white scar, nothing massive but just so you know :smile:
I just got mine done today. It really didn't hurt. I just casually went into the shop, filled out the form, hopped in the chair and had it done in a few minutes. Its tough getting used to the curl in the stud inside your nose, but really thats the only complaint I have. I really like it!
http://www.bmezine.com/pierce/03-nose/A70222/nosgetti.html is my experience up on BME.

It wasn't painful and I had both sides done. I would say it was the least painful of all my piercings. My eyes did water though, but it's natural.
Reply 11
DO IT :biggrin:

It's the best :smile: Twas my first piercing (apart from lobes x2) But I think it has been the least painful out of all of them. It healed really well (had it done nearly 18 months ago) and I absolutely love it.

I get negative comments about my ear piercings, but everyone love my nose :smile:

I didn't find it painful as such, just a little uncomfortable... Even though I was anticipating pain.. I was like moaning in the seat lol. My eye watered a lot, which felt weird.

But yeah, go for it :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending