The Student Room Group

Can't afford GCSE certificates

My original GCSE certificates got destroyed in a flood and I'm in the process of enrolling to an access to higher education course at college and I need them, especially since this course is designed to enable you to go to university afterwards.

The problem is though I sat exams with 3 different exams boards so that's

£37 for AQA
£43 for Edexcel
£50 for WJEC

I have absolutely no income at the moment, I'm out of work and not claiming any kind of benefit or support so there's absolutely no way I can afford it. I had recently been enrolled in the college and during my interview they photocopied my certificates so I'm going into college today to see if they still have them but if they don't is there anything I can do?
Have you spoke to both the exam boards and your college?
Original post by pugpizza
My original GCSE certificates got destroyed in a flood and I'm in the process of enrolling to an access to higher education course at college and I need them, especially since this course is designed to enable you to go to university afterwards.

£37 for AQA
£43 for Edexcel
£50 for WJEC

I have absolutely no income at the moment, I'm out of work and not claiming any kind of benefit or support so there's absolutely no way I can afford it. I had recently been enrolled in the college and during my interview they photocopied my certificates so I'm going into college today to see if they still have them but if they don't is there anything I can do?

How old are you?
Reply 3
Original post by Tiger Rag
Have you spoke to both the exam boards and your college?

I haven't contacted the exams boards because every place I've looked they just said you need to pay for them and I'm too embarrassed to tell them I can't afford it and they don't seem like a charitable type.

I'm going to college later today, I don't think they'll still have them a year later but fingers crossed.

I was just hoping for a backup strategy
I haven't contacted the exams boards because every place I've looked they just said you need to pay for them and I'm too embarrassed to tell them I can't afford it and they don't seem like a charitable type.

I'm going to college later today, I don't think they'll still have them a year later but fingers crossed.

I was just hoping for a backup strategy

They probably will have them. I collected my a level results over a year later.
Reply 5
Original post by cherryred90s
How old are you?

I'm 19
The college should still let you on the course, a lot of colleges let you do Access and GCSE's at the same time anyway so they shouldn't need to see the certificates again to let you start.

I'm going to uni off the back of an Access Course in September and all the places I've applied to haven't asked to see GCSE results until this August anyway, so you should have plenty of time to sort them out.
(edited 7 years ago)

£37 for AQA
£43 for Edexcel
£50 for WJEC

check if you can claim in on insurance my parents did when they had a house fire and lost a lot of important documents (driving licences, passports, marriage and birth certificates)

£37 for AQA
£43 for Edexcel
£50 for WJEC

Mate i had the exact same problem, i didn't have any money and i didn't want to ask my parents for it because we were struggling financially and it was my fault i had lost them, i knew that my future was essentially screwed if i didn't get the money, this motivated me to get a simple job, so whilst i was studying i went into work after get as many shifts as i could and managed to buy the certificates after a few weeks of working. I know its not the answer you might want but you have to get out there find a job. its the most direct way.

Quick Reply

Latest