The Student Room Group

Change of career path.

I am a fourth year pharmacy student, I have not enjoyed these last 4 years and as a result, it has been a struggle.

It is this, combined with the poor future prospects (subject to personal opinion, but this has been dicussed elsewhere on TSR), potental earnings long term and the extreme stress put on pharmacists in practice, that has led me to see that it is not the right career for me.

I have managed to secure a pre-reg at independent community pharmacy for next year and the plan as of now is to complete this to qualify. But what then?

I am aware of other roles in this sector, eg moving to more of a clinical role assisting GPs, but the bottomlone for me is that I will not enjoy these roles, based on the course and work experience in practice.

Has anyone here with a pharmacy degree gone into a completley different area? I would appreciate any advice on helping my career shift into other sectors over the next year or so and anything that can be done during the pre reg year.

Many thanks!
Original post by theknowingful
I am a fourth year pharmacy student, I have not enjoyed these last 4 years and as a result, it has been a struggle.

It is this, combined with the poor future prospects (subject to personal opinion, but this has been dicussed elsewhere on TSR), potental earnings long term and the extreme stress put on pharmacists in practice, that has led me to see that it is not the right career for me.

I have managed to secure a pre-reg at independent community pharmacy for next year and the plan as of now is to complete this to qualify. But what then?

I am aware of other roles in this sector, eg moving to more of a clinical role assisting GPs, but the bottomlone for me is that I will not enjoy these roles, based on the course and work experience in practice.

Has anyone here with a pharmacy degree gone into a completley different area? I would appreciate any advice on helping my career shift into other sectors over the next year or so and anything that can be done during the pre reg year.

Many thanks!

Do you write? I know a pharmacist that is now a medical writer. Another pharmacist retrained as a sonographer and is cashing out. Of course, you could also teach.
Reply 2

Many thanks!

I think first step would be to find you enjoy doing. Can you please tell us what you like to do? Business/Finance/Engineering/Media

But in general, get your degree, do part time course on the job you want to do, have great reasons why you want to do that.

Show your dedication, career change is possible after graduation (almost no matter what is your degree).
Original post by lNurl
I think first step would be to find you enjoy doing. Can you please tell us what you like to do? Business/Finance/Engineering/Media

But in general, get your degree, do part time course on the job you want to do, have great reasons why you want to do that.

Show your dedication, career change is possible after graduation (almost no matter what is your degree).

Thanks for your reply,

Well from your list I would say both finance and media, but there lies 2 problems, if I am applying for roles in these sectors, i wont have any credentials to support them having been in the pharmacy field. Also, my interests are simply based off of perception of what they involve from online and hearsay, to say if I actually enjoy them will surely need some practical work experience.

It seems very against the grain doing something like this as pharmacy is a very directed degree toward a specific career path, perhaps it is this that is making it hard for me to believe it can be used as a general degree.
Original post by neldee95
Do you write? I know a pharmacist that is now a medical writer. Another pharmacist retrained as a sonographer and is cashing out. Of course, you could also teach.

The last time I wrote would have to be back in GCSE english! So that answers that question, teaching seems like a viable option. Thats the other problem, freedom of choice, there is so many thinks that I could do, seems as if time is running out in which to make the move as its better change direction earlier.
Im also a 4th year pharmacist, not planning to stay in pharmacy after my pre reg.

My aim is to apply for Management Consulting grad schemes. ( which accept any degree)

There are other audit/tax grad schemes available where they do not specify a specific degree.

Even companies like GSK and Astra Zeneca offer graduate schemes in the non pharma roles so that is another option.

Its great there are people like me here who have realised how dead pharmacy is!

http://futureleaders.gsk.com/en-gb/our-programmes/

https://www.novartis.co.uk/careers/graduate-recruitment

http://www.astrazenecacareers.com/students/programmes/operations-global-graduate-associates-programme/

https://globaljobs.pfizer.com/pages/job-details.aspx
(edited 7 years ago)

Many thanks!

Hey Knowing, I know exactly how you feel, feel free to skulk my post history but essentially, yeh.

First: Don't pigeonhole yourself to the medical field, pharmacy students are normally bright, motivated people who have lots of transferable skills, check websites like milkround for graduate opportunities that just require "a degree" lots o "business" jobs offer salaries that are better than pharmacy and only require that you're smart and hard working. Also on that topic, there's NHS graduate programs (google 'em) for their more admin-based roles if you're still interested in staying in healthcare but not fancying being a pharmacist.

Best of luck, feel free to reply/PM if you've got questions! :smile:

Many thanks!

Hey ,
There are lots of pharmacy graduates who have taken completely different routes after graduation.
I read about a guy on C+D who went into banking after pharmacy.
You find what you love doing & follow your heart. There's no right or wrong way of doing things.This 'mpharm-prereg-happy pharmacist for 45 years' path is not for everybody.
How about work experience this summer after graduation before pre-reg?.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am currently a pre-reg pharmacist in community with my other half of placement in hospital. I certainly feel that the degree is worth it at the end. You learn so much after graduating.

The problem is that public and NHS do not value pharmacist as much as they value other healthcare professionals. This has meant that NHS look into pharmacy first to make any sort of cuts. Nurses are more respected than pharmacist even though we spend the same number of years learning as doctors. I personally blame the dysfunctional NHS system. Its a system allocates meaningless funding for wasteful commissioning services such as needle exchange.

The jobs are becoming more scarced in pharmacy due to the rise in pharmacist eapecially in London. I certainly feel the only way to earn big in pharmacy is by locum work and doing shifts most people won't be prepared to do. Hospital pharmacist are poorly paid and they work you very hard and the clinical diploma is very difficult. Moving up the bands are not easy either as there are a lot of competition for places. So essentially you could be stuck with 25k-30k for the next 6-7 years as a hospital pharmacist whereas regular locum work will yield about 40k per year.

Best advice is to look at industry e.g. astrazeneca, gsk,Pfizer and norvamentis. Or any other small industrial firms as there are better chances of earning bigger money in the future. E.g I'm thinking of becoming a QP, qualified person. Its probably the most boring job on the world but if you can get into industry as a pharmacist and work in manufacturing and batch controls. The training for it can be less than 3 years and you can be commanding 40k-50k. QP is a very niche role and there are quite a lot of demand for it all the time. After several years of experience, you can start commanding higher salaries of between 70-80k and even break 100k barrier after about 20 years. Other roles may include working as a patent attorney,although they are really competitive and they tend to not value pharmacist applying. They although are a bit elitist too. They cherry pick from Oxford and Cambridge graduates with rubbish degrees like zoology which no knowledge of patents and drug/device formulation and design. Yet it is still worth a try.
How about graduate entry law?

Many thanks!

Yeah just wanna say, I am a 3rd year pharmacy student and currently feeling exactly the same as you. After the 1st year I stopped enjoying it, and it has been a struggle to be honest.
Been doing pre reg applications - have an interview at Lloyds tomorrow.
It just seems too stressful for what the end result looks like in the current climate.
I have also spent the last month or so tinking about completeing pre reg and then doing something different that I enjoy.
That is a very good option, as you could do a law conversion course. However, I have heard that after Law school, most students don't carry on with the profession as the qualification needed to become a solicitor BPC costs about 10-12k and most students don't bother because of that . Law is predominantly for the rich families who can afford to send their children to independent schools and Oxford/Cambridge and then pay for BPC exams too. Almost everyone has a law degree these days. Its just too competitive. You ate better off doing medicine or dentistry postgraduate course.
Lawyer. Everyone becomes a lawyer.
Original post by Peace4life
That is a very good option, as you could do a law conversion course. However, I have heard that after Law school, most students don't carry on with the profession as the qualification needed to become a solicitor BPC costs about 10-12k and most students don't bother because of that . Law is predominantly for the rich families who can afford to send their children to independent schools and Oxford/Cambridge and then pay for BPC exams too. Almost everyone has a law degree these days. Its just too competitive. You ate better off doing medicine or dentistry postgraduate course.

This is completely inaccurate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which parts are untrue about it?
Which parts are untrue about it?

The whole 'predominantly for rich kids' angle is way off. Especially now that firms are recruiting based on context of your economic situation rather than relying solely on criteria that could disadvantage others.

The right combo of good degree + good uni (even this is starting to be less important - see above para) + strong ECs + great work experience + great personality/attitude = solid shot.

Most larger firms also sponsor the GDL/LPC completely with a few barristers chambers offering early draws on pupillage awards for the BPTC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I have l friends who have struggled to get any sort of work after graduating in law. They work paralegal with crap pay. One if them did a Masters in Law from Keele university, achieved a 2:1 but has said when he went for interviews for big firms, the majority of students there went to Cambridge./Oxford and some of the top Russel group university.

Also research has shown that Law as a profession is still dominated by white collar men in suits. Research has also shown that law firms look for a posh suave in communication during interviews.
I have l friends who have struggled to get any sort of work after graduating in law. They work paralegal with crap pay. One if them did a Masters in Law from Keele university, achieved a 2:1 but has said when he went for interviews for big firms, the majority of students there went to Cambridge./Oxford and some of the top Russel group university.

Also research has shown that Law as a profession is still dominated by white collar men in suits. Research has also shown that law firms look for a posh suave in communication during interviews.

Yeah, but then that's representation bias. I have contacts that studied at Greenwich and Westminster with firsts and the profile I outlined working at magic circle firms - their a level grades weren't amazing nor did they come from privileged backgrounds.

Eh, law is probably one of the most progressive high brow sectors nowadays alongside with banking. Posh communication just translates to speaking clearly and appropriately, you wouldn't want to be ripping slang out in front of a client.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending