Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In a right pickle :/

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hi there. My situation is complex and seems utterly hopeless so any available advice will be greatly appreciated.

    Put simply:
    I am unemployable due to a lack of qualifications.
    I want to take a course and get a degree so I can become employable.
    Problem is, I have to be at home most of the time to look after my mother.
    So, I've looked into distance learning and it turns out you can get a tuition loan... Great!
    But how am I supposed to cover everyday living costs since (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) you can't get a maintenance loan if you're a distance learner.

    Are there any alternative funding options or anything I'm missing in general?

    What do I do? Please, someone help me, this is driving me nuts.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.