The Student Room Group

Have I got any chance of getting into Investment Banking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jon2016
Life is unpredictable and complicated

Anything can happen

Inspirational. Moved me.
Original post by GoldmanSucks
No one cares about your passion for finance, theyll pretend to care but they really don't. If you've worked in IB you should know this already lol.

Well, they want to see hunger period. It's why they like guys who come from nothing and have something to prove. It's why they hire insecure egomaniacs. As long as you don't just want the money... you need this, they don't really care. But imagine that on a billboard or recruiting material. It's not going to happen, so they use euphemisms: 'passion for finance'.
No one cares about your passion for finance, theyll pretend to care but they really don't. If you've worked in IB you should know this already lol.

True, but it needs to be at least somewhat convincing. You can't just BS your way through interviews without substance lol. It's like answering: 'Because of the prestige and exit opps' to a 'why IB' question.
Original post by BizzStrut
Well, they want to see hunger period. It's why they like guys who come from nothing and have something to prove. It's why they hire insecure egomaniacs. As long as you don't just want the money... you need this, they don't really care. But imagine that on a billboard or recruiting material. It's not going to happen, so they use euphemisms: 'passion for finance'.

Nobody cares about hunger for finance. Finance isn't even a real thing.

If you want to succeed in banking. You need two things

Sales skills: You need to be a product and you need to sell yourself and make people like you. That's what I look for anyway and most others would agree. Nobody cares that you're the president of your university rowing club or you have interest in the markets lol.

After you get in you need;

Political skills: you should be a good politician. Listen more than you talk, if you want to make it past Associate. It's who you know. Not what you know. You could be the smartest out of your class nobody cares. Nobody would be recruited if they didn't meet minimum requirements in the first place.

Sales skills: You need to be a product and you need to sell yourself and make people like you. That's what I look for anyway and most others would agree. Nobody cares that you're the president of your university rowing club or you have interest in the markets lol.

Political skills: you should be a good politician. Listen more than you talk, if you want to make it past Associate. It's who you know. Not what you know. You could be the smartest out of your class nobody cares. Nobody would be recruited if they didn't meet minimum requirements in the first place.

I don't think you understand. I know there is no 'passion for finance'. That's my point. They want you to be able to use your - as you put it - political skills, to let them know that you need this job as much as they want you to, without making a complete fool of yourself.

As an aside, all aspiring bankers should read up on the Gervais Principle: http://www.ribbonfarm.com/2009/11/11/the-gervais-principle-ii-posturetalk-powertalk-babytalk-and-gametalk/
Original post by Princepieman
True, but it needs to be at least somewhat convincing. You can't just BS your way through interviews without substance lol. It's like answering: 'Because of the prestige and exit opps' to a 'why IB' question.

You're a lil right mate. You must try to convince. See my previous post for clarity.
Reply 26
We'd hire quite a few interns from QUB at the bank I used to work for. Mainly 1 yr interns during their placement year. I think they recently made it one of their 'focus uni's' i.e. they send representatives up there to recruit nowadays.

1 yr (or summer) internship is a great way of finding out if it's for you. A try before you buy.
Reply 27

You're absolutely right (and I've been in the industry for almost 5 yrs).
Original post by CHEETS
We'd hire quite a few interns from QUB at the bank I used to work for. Mainly 1 yr interns during their placement year. I think they recently made it one of their 'focus uni's' i.e. they send representatives up there to recruit nowadays.

1 yr (or summer) internship is a great way of finding out if it's for you. A try before you buy.

Interesting.. Would you mind telling me which bank (or type of bank) this is? (via PM if you wish)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Interesting.. Would you mind telling me which bank (or type of bank) this is? (via PM if you wish)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It the one that another poster on this thread has satirised so very wittily in his username :smile:
Original post by CHEETS
It the one that another poster on this thread has satirised so very wittily in his username :smile:

Wow.. That's immense, I always thought they were the most 'accepting' bank but I didn't realise they fully stuck to the philosophy.

If it's not tooo much to ask, as the support team for this section, I look out for opps to provide content where possible to help those who read this sub. Would you be ok with ever doing an AMA or Q&A kind of thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Wow.. That's immense, I always thought they were the most 'accepting' bank but I didn't realise they fully stuck to the philosophy.

If it's not tooo much to ask, as the support team for this section, I look out for opps to provide content where possible to help those who read this sub. Would you be ok with ever doing an AMA or Q&A kind of thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course. Happy to.
If it concerns you that much transfer to a different uni in second year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending