a lot of teachers and pupils don't like the new system
what do you all think?
Reply 1
What new system?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by scnotcrazy
a lot of teachers and pupils don't like the new system
what do you all think?

Pupils who don't like it probably don't like it because teachers don't like it, they likely never did a mixture of NQ and CFE highers/nationals.

Teachers won't like it because they're resilient to change, or because they have to learn new material, putting them outside there comfort zone. Courses are fine.
Some of the new courses seem a lot better than the previous ones. The new higher geography seems much better than the old one, however I did the old higher biology last year and now the new one looks pretty difficult.

I hate how there isn't a lot of past papers, you've only got the exemplar, specimen and the past paper which has lead to be having to buy the practices ones.

It can be pretty stressful for teachers who have to produce new resources and for pupils because it's unknown. Having done national 5's in the first year I found it fine and I wasn't disadvantaged at all.
What I really hate is the nabs particularly in humanities subjects. They have no relevance to the final exam and are generally a waste of time as you are not learning or developing skills from them. The techniques and knowledge you need to pass the nabs do not replicate the techniques and knowledge you need for the exam in the slightest.
Original post by TheFOMaster
Pupils who don't like it probably don't like it because teachers don't like it, they likely never did a mixture of NQ and CFE highers/nationals.

Teachers won't like it because they're resilient to change, or because they have to learn new material, putting them outside there comfort zone. Courses are fine.

IF by mixture of NQ and CFE you mean old and new higher, you are wrong. A lot of us did the old higher last year and this year got forced to do new AH. The transition wasn't smooth and it left us with quite a few gaps in knowledge and exam techniques which had changed. This was more prominent in Biology I noticed but there's a few things in AH Chem too. It doesn't add a great deal of difficulty but its still very annoying.

And the biggest thing we hate is the new assignments at higher. No one still knows exactly what the SQA want from them and different markers have been marking them differently. For instance I "finished" my higher physics assignment then was told a week later that I had to change it because the SQA wouldn't let me use this particular source. Then I was told another week after that I could have used my original source cause the SQA changed there mind about it. Then a week later after an SQA markers meeting my teachers came back and told me to change something else because they had decided I couldn't do it any more.

Plus having to juggle 2 AH projects as well as 2 higher assignments is stupid and DOES add more difficulty to the courses.

In a few years everything will be fine as the guidlines will be SET. But right now they aren't as set in stone which annoys us students.

But yeah teachers bitch because they hate change, agree with you on that one.
Original post by scottishgirl163
What I really hate is the nabs particularly in humanities subjects. They have no relevance to the final exam and are generally a waste of time as you are not learning or developing skills from them. The techniques and knowledge you need to pass the nabs do not replicate the techniques and knowledge you need for the exam in the slightest.

I didn't even know my humanities subjects had nabs haha
as long as they can publish a friggin advanced higher biology textbook before the exam :angry:
yes the new system is alright.. I guess

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending