The Student Room Group

Put off by negative comment from teachers

Hi guys
I am a mature student looking to do a PGCE in Geography. My degree is tourism so will also need to do a subject enhancement course.
I have kept quiet and not discussed with many people apart from my husband as I have wanted to do it for years but family life took over. Now in a position to do it. However the couple of people I have discussed with have basically told me that it is the stupidest thing and not to do it as it will be the worst 2 years of my life (along with the NQT year)- they are both teachers. I'm not expecting it to be easy but these guys have really put me off actually applying.
Any advice would be appreciated
Reply 1
If its something you want to do, my advice would be to do it.

You sound in a similar position to me, every person i asked and the comments online put me off, but i started my TT in october and it's all good so far.

You will have to weigh up your finances (would you be leaving a secure job? ) personal goals (are you willing to "waste" 3 months) etc, but the worst case scenario is to do the course untill christmas and if you are hating it, drop out.
Reply 2
Thanks very much, that's what my husband says - that i should go for it. I'm lucky to be in a good position (I am an academic note taker) so only work as and when i can so that's not an issue. I haven't mentioned it to people as I know what they will say but just gutted that the teachers i have spoke to have slated it so much.
Thanks S27 x
They aren't lying, but it'll be the most rewarding 2 years of you life and you will impact so many lives.
Who cares what they think anyway, you're the one doing it.

Join the trainee group in my signature and meet other trainees.
Original post by mr-snappy
Hi guys
I am a mature student looking to do a PGCE in Geography. My degree is tourism so will also need to do a subject enhancement course.
I have kept quiet and not discussed with many people apart from my husband as I have wanted to do it for years but family life took over. Now in a position to do it. However the couple of people I have discussed with have basically told me that it is the stupidest thing and not to do it as it will be the worst 2 years of my life (along with the NQT year)- they are both teachers. I'm not expecting it to be easy but these guys have really put me off actually applying.
Any advice would be appreciated

I'm afraid if you were to ask 100 teachers the majority would tell you not to train. That doesn't mean you shouldn't train. Why don't you observe some lessons in a secondary school and see if that helps you to decide what to do?
All teachers I spoke with recommended me not to get into the profession. At the end I was invited to observe a school day, and I liked it so much that at the end of that day those same teachers told me to go for it!

I would say from my short experience that teaching is indeed tough. The PGCE is tough. I expect the first years to be very tough. Compared to my previous office job, this is much harder. But when a lesson goes well, and when I start feeling that I'm building relationships with my students, it all gets greatly compensated and I remember why I made the change.

If you want to do it, do it. My advice would be not to take it as a full lifetime commitment: If you like it you stay, if you realise you dislike it, well, you quit, nobody's going to force you to do otherwise. But if you don't try, you won't know, and you would be thinking about it for the rest of your life, perhaps regretting no having made the move.
I am starting my Primary PGCE in September and I'll admit I'm concerned about the negativity surrounding the profession. However, I've done such mind-numbing jobs for almost the last 15 years that I'm determined to give it a go. I don't want to look back and regret not giving teaching a try.
Original post by alymau
I am starting my Primary PGCE in September and I'll admit I'm concerned about the negativity surrounding the profession. However, I've done such mind-numbing jobs for almost the last 15 years that I'm determined to give it a go. I don't want to look back and regret not giving teaching a try.

The one thing it isn't is mind-numbing.
Reply 8
Go for it! I know a few teachers and have had chats about it - one said don't do it, one said she still likes it after 10+ years but is thinking of going into supply teaching to reduce the workload, another said she loves it and would recommend training. The job sounds like it is very very dependent on the school you end up in and the management - you could be lucky and get a great school!

Everybody is different and I can understand those that have done it for many years becoming a bit (or very!) disgruntled with the way the job has changed, but it has to be worth a shot? You'll never know if you don't try it. People in all careers often moan about their jobs after a few years, I certainly do about my current job, but many here love it. I have been in a couple of schools for experience and overall the teachers seemed quite happy, with one or two grumbling. I think it is just the grumblers that get the attention in the press, especially from the TES.
Reply 9
Original post by nt16
Go for it! I know a few teachers and have had chats about it - one said don't do it, one said she still likes it after 10+ years but is thinking of going into supply teaching to reduce the workload, another said she loves it and would recommend training. The job sounds like it is very very dependent on the school you end up in and the management - you could be lucky and get a great school!

Everybody is different and I can understand those that have done it for many years becoming a bit (or very!) disgruntled with the way the job has changed, but it has to be worth a shot? You'll never know if you don't try it. People in all careers often moan about their jobs after a few years, I certainly do about my current job, but many here love it. I have been in a couple of schools for experience and overall the teachers seemed quite happy, with one or two grumbling. I think it is just the grumblers that get the attention in the press, especially from the TES.

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm really ready to "start" my career now and feel that there are many other options if I can get through those 2 years and feel its not for me.
Reply 10
Original post by abel.suisse
All teachers I spoke with recommended me not to get into the profession. At the end I was invited to observe a school day, and I liked it so much that at the end of that day those same teachers told me to go for it!

I would say from my short experience that teaching is indeed tough. The PGCE is tough. I expect the first years to be very tough. Compared to my previous office job, this is much harder. But when a lesson goes well, and when I start feeling that I'm building relationships with my students, it all gets greatly compensated and I remember why I made the change.

If you want to do it, do it. My advice would be not to take it as a full lifetime commitment: If you like it you stay, if you realise you dislike it, well, you quit, nobody's going to force you to do otherwise. But if you don't try, you won't know, and you would be thinking about it for the rest of your life, perhaps regretting no having made the move.

Thanks very much. I have been wanting to do it for years now but every time, another year goes by. I am booked on to do the eng and maths tests so I need to pass those to start with!
I think a lot of teachers immediately stress the negatives as a knee jerk reaction against the 'you only work 9-3 and get all those holidays' view of the general public and the rose tinted Dead Poets Society/government 'get into teaching' adverts view of some aspiring teachers.

I honestly think the best way to tell if you'd enjoy life as a teacher is to volunteer as much as possible in as many different schools at different ends of the behaviour spectrum as possible. The teachers I've spoken to during my volunteering are very blunt about the negatives, and believe it's only going to get worse, but believe there are enough positives to make it worth it.
I've been deciding what to do about doing a PGCE or not for a while and working in a school currently I can say it is a VERY busy job, theres lot to do and sometimes the students can make you think, why do i bother?

But there is nothing more rewarding than helping someone and seeing a positive come out of it. And building that relationship with a student so they come to you, and speak to you and enjoy your help and company feels great!
It's like any job it comes with pro's and con's.

My friend is about to finish his year in School's direct, and although he's up til 10pm most nights and back in work at 8am, he says theres nothing more rewarding, and he's so great with his students. :smile:

It's like anything though, you can't knock it until you've tried it. If you never try, you'll never know!

Quick Reply

Latest