Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Financing car at 18

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Im 18 years old, coming up to my 1 years No claims bonus, and I am looking into financing a Fiesta ST. I earn £1000 roughly and work for my Dad who owns a very very successful company so there is no chance of that going downhill any time soon.

I need a fairly decent car for the job as sometimes there can be a fair bit of driving which is a good reason to get a new car as mine is on its last legs, I also am told I need a good but not too good car for the job as it has to have the correct image on the company.

I'm sure my Dad would be a guarantor as one of these, or 10 of these for that matter, wouldn't even dent him financially, also it's difficult to get into the stage where I wouldn't have a job to pay for it as at the end of the day im working for my Dad....

Is this a good idea? What kind of length would you go for on the finance? What would you think are good monthly payments for my wage etc.

P.S. I am aware of the financial costs of running a car before people mention this, the car I am looking at is around half the price on insurance of my current car for example!

Would it not make more sense for your dad to lease you a car via the company?

As for your questions, your wage (is that £1k before or after tax?) is largely immaterial, it's more how much cash you actually have left over once rent, bills, etc are gone, so much is that?

My Dad has told me he will get me a lease car in 2-3 years but wants me to get my first few cars to "teach me the value of money", hence the fact I am on minimum wage for my age, and am treated the same as every other employee.

That wage was after tax.

Also I have no major bills at the moment, the only one I have is paying my family rent, again to be shown the value of money and a phone contract. (£150) per month.

So all in all I have around £850 free to spend what I want on per month if that helps.

For sure I could just wait a few more months and buy it out right but my car is at its major service changes where parts require to be changed due to mileage and if I keep going at the rate I am at, I will have to spend big at my next service which is something I don't want to be doing if I am going to be selling it a few months after..
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.