The Student Room Group

A-Level Subject Choices for Biological Natural Sciences

At the moment I'm deliberating over which subjects to study at A-level; at the end of the course, I would ideally like to apply to Oxbridge, to study either biology at the former or the biological natural sciences pathway at the latter.

For the first year of the Cambridge course I would be choosing Evolution and Behaviour, Earth Sciences, and Physiology of Organisms (as well as Mathematical Biology).

The subjects I'm leaning towards are biology, maths, geography and English literature, at least the first three of which I would probably take through to A2.

At GCSE I got 6A*s, 5As and a C, and I am predicted A grades at AS level and possibly higher at A2. All my subjects are facilitating, although only two are hard sciences, the others being a humanity and and an art, though I hope they'll give me skills to do with essay writing and Earth sciences.

My question is whether I would have a realistic chance of getting into the Natural Sciences course, and whether there are any adjustments I could make to my choices to improve my chances? I am not looking to change my subject profile completely, however, because I want to choose a university course that I will enjoy, not just get into a top university for the sake of it.

The admissions criteria say that two of biology, chemistry, physics maths and FM are necessary, and more are preferred, but have you ever seen anyone actually get in (and/or do well on the above courses) with only two hard sciences? Especially biology and maths without chemistry?

All responses are appreciated, thank you for reading!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Ask the real experts here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4057087
Ask the Admissions Team - 2017 entry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending