The Student Room Group

Can I get an A* in GCSE physics if I got a B in the coursework?

I got 39/48 in the coursework, one mark off an A, but I still want an A* overall. Do you think that I can get an A* overall if I get A*s in both exams(paper 1 and paper 2)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aurora_
I got 39/48 in the coursework, one mark off an A, but I still want an A* overall. Do you think that I can get an A* overall if I get A*s in both exams(paper 1 and paper 2)?

Yes I think so
What exam board?
Original post by aurora_

I guess so:yes:
Reply 4
Original post by JakeAntonyBrown
What exam board?

OCR Gateway B
Original post by aurora_

Yeah, i think you can definitely get an A* if you get it in both exams! xx
Reply 6
Original post by zXcodeXz
Yes I think so

Thank you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Megan.Rose..
Yeah, i think you can definitely get an A* if you get it in both exams! xx

Thanks a lot! xx
Reply 8
Original post by Adorable98
I guess so:yes:

Thank you, Adorable98 :smile:
Reply 9
Yeah definitely possible, i got 74 in my isa for chemistry and 93 93 100 in the papers and got an A* :-)
Original post by aurora_
OCR Gateway B

Sorry, I don't know then...
Original post by aurora_

Hi yes you can but it just means that the amount of marks you needed for an A* for your coursework you'll need to get that much marks extra on top of the required marks for an A* on the actual exam. So for an A depending on the grade boundaries in the exam you'll need an extra mark to make up for the lost mark in the course work and same for an A*. Just make sure you ace that exam!
Reply 12
Original post by _Xenon_
Hi yes you can but it just means that the amount of marks you needed for an A* for your coursework you'll need to get that much marks extra on top of the required marks for an A* on the actual exam. So for an A depending on the grade boundaries in the exam you'll need an extra mark to make up for the lost mark in the course work and same for an A*. Just make sure you ace that exam!

Thank you very much! So, just to make sure I understood, if, say, the mark scheme for this year says that you need 53/85 for an A* in the real exam, I would need to get 58 or more to get an A* overall, right? Because I was 5 marks off an A* in the coursework.
Original post by aurora_
Thank you :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by zXcodeXz
Good luck!

Thank you, I'll need it!!!!
Reply 15
Original post by _Xenon_

Hello I got 35/50 on my ISA (biology) is it possible for me to get an A* too?
Original post by aurora_
Thank you very much! So, just to make sure I understood, if, say, the mark scheme for this year says that you need 53/85 for an A* in the real exam, I would need to get 58 or more to get an A* overall, right? Because I was 5 marks off an A* in the coursework.

Yes pretty much depending on UMS. Aim high and work really hard!

Original post by Riem1991
Hello I got 35/50 on my ISA (biology) is it possible for me to get an A* too?

It depends on your ability. Remember the ISA is worth 25%, are you doing triple science?

I'll work it out for you if you want. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by _Xenon_
Yes pretty much depending on UMS. Aim high and work really hard!

It depends on your ability. Remember the ISA is worth 25%, are you doing triple science?

I'll work it out for you if you want. :smile:

Hi yes thank you very much and I am doing triple science, I am really worried because my teacher said I can't retake
Reply 18
Hi yes thank you very much and I am doing triple science, I am really worried because my teacher said I can't retake

I usually get A and A* but I just failed ISA
I usually get A and A* but I just failed ISA

What marks in B1 , B2 and B3 do you usually get or approximately?

I can work out your approximate overall grade going off last years grade boundaries or the year before ...

Quick Reply

Latest