The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Digital Media and Information Studies

Anyone doing this course that could offer some insight into it? Maybe help explain some of the topics that the course entails? I would be very appreciative :biggrin:
Original post by Ohana
Anyone doing this course that could offer some insight into it? Maybe help explain some of the topics that the course entails? I would be very appreciative :biggrin:

Hey there, I know this is quite old but I'm doing this subject at Glasgow. If you want any more info please let me know!

Cheers!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Can you take computer science along with digital media?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ScottishFold
Can you take computer science along with digital media?

Posted from TSR Mobile

in first and second year yeah, not 3rd and 4th. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Faye__1996
Hey there, I know this is quite old but I'm doing this subject at Glasgow. If you want any more info please let me know!

Cheers!

Hi, I was going to apply for Digital Media & Business at Glasgow, I was curious how long the Digital Media and Information Studies course has been running (I've heard mixed facts) and how competitive it is?

I was also hoping to know how based it is on media, or if it's on a computing basis as it seems more computing-based than it is as a creative subject, which is the case for many other digital media courses.
Original post by itsHarryM
Hi, I was going to apply for Digital Media & Business at Glasgow, I was curious how long the Digital Media and Information Studies course has been running (I've heard mixed facts) and how competitive it is?

I was also hoping to know how based it is on media, or if it's on a computing basis as it seems more computing-based than it is as a creative subject, which is the case for many other digital media courses.

Hi there, from what I can gather it's a relatively new course ... I'm guessing it maybe began around 2011 but if you email the uni they'll be able to tell you exactly. I don't know anyone who straight up applied for Digital Media. Me like everyone else I know picked it as one of the three subjects in first year and decided to continue it on :smile: So just as competitive as any other humanities / arts / social science subject. Perhaps apart from psychology, think that one is extra competitive ...

It isn't at all (that I've experienced yet) focused on media such as TV/Radio/News etc. For the Digital Media half, you do things like website design, HTML, CSS, XML, databases, virtual reality ... And the Information Studies half - recommendation systems, information storage and retrieval, museums, archives, etc. I would say it's not a *very* creative course, except in first year you do design a website yourself which is 40% of your grade.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 6
Would this course suit well with Business Management, looking at point of view of advertising or marketing? I want to apply to a course that mixes design with business.
Original post by Jamiedoc
Would this course suit well with Business Management, looking at point of view of advertising or marketing? I want to apply to a course that mixes design with business.

Hey, yeah I think so. I'm not doing it with business but that would be a good combo. I have a part time job doing digital marketing and they really liked the fact I was studying Digital Media - adding business would probz make it even better :smile:
Reply 8
Hey, what were your results and did you get an unconditional? Not sure if i'll get in with AABBC
Original post by Jamiedoc
Hey, what were your results and did you get an unconditional? Not sure if i'll get in with AABBC

Hey, I applied to uni after taking a year out to work. I got an unconditional with AAAABB at higher and AA at advanced higher. I think you might get a conditional :smile: especially if you're from a widening participation background
Reply 10
Hi guys I'm applying for this with ABB.. higher (I know...) I'm eligible for adjusted entry though and I'm predicted ABBB (one B at AH) just thought i'd give it a go, they received my app today so it's just a case of waiting now.

I know people on this course who just finished their first semester, it's a lot to do with web design and history of digital media i've heard. been interested in it for a few years so now the time has come i hope they let me on board :smile:
Original post by emilie9
Hi guys I'm applying for this with ABB.. higher (I know...) I'm eligible for adjusted entry though and I'm predicted ABBB (one B at AH) just thought i'd give it a go, they received my app today so it's just a case of waiting now.

I know people on this course who just finished their first semester, it's a lot to do with web design and history of digital media i've heard. been interested in it for a few years so now the time has come i hope they let me on board :smile:

hey :smile: Good luck! That's cool you know people on the course, i didn't know the subject existed until I went to uni. (You pick 3 subjects in first year and I randomly picked it) seems the prospects for digital media graduates are great especially in our current climate. :smile:
Hi Im a student from the US, I applied for this course and got in but i was wondering what classes i would take and how good the professors/lectureres are compared to other schools that also teach digital media.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending