Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Undue influence problem question

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Hi I have an exam soon on the topic of undue influence, I feel confident in my understanding but struggle with applying the law to problem questions can anyone help me on how I would tackle this question as an example? Thanks in advance

Geoff and Anne live together at Rose Cottage, a property registered in their joint names. Geoff is a self employed photographer, working from home and Anne works part time in the local Cats Home. In May 2014 Geoff told Anne that his business was doing very well and that he would like to extend the house by the addition of a new darkroom/office. He said he would need a bank loan of £10,000 and that not only would his business benefit but the house would increase in value. Anne was pleased and, not for the first time, glad that Geoff was able to take care of these matters. Unbeknown to Anne, Geoff had other plans for the money – he has developed an expensive gambling habit and has already run up a debt of £15,000.

Geoff visited the Small & Friendly bank on 2nd May and saw the assistant manager, Mr Brown, who invited him to joint the local business luncheon group. Geoff took the opportunity to mention that he was seeking a loan of £25,000, explaining that he wished to expand his business and improve his home at the same time. He said that his current account was overdrawn by £15,000 only because he was awaiting substantial outstanding payments from customers over the next few months. Mr Brown said that for a loan of £25,000 the bank would require a charge on the house and that both Geoff and Anne would have to ‘sign the necessaries’. Geoff said that would be no problem – Anne was as excited as he was about the project. The two men have arranged to meet in two weeks time to progress the matter.

What are the implications of Geoff’s behaviour and what steps should the bank take in this situation?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.