The Student Room Group

What is physics A-level like?

I'm thinking about doing A-level physics but lots of people are either telling me that they dropped out because it's too hard, or it's basically maths.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by skillzaismine
I'm thinking about doing A-level physics but lots of people are either telling me that they dropped out because it's too hard, or it's basically maths.

I feel like it's the easiest science. It's just hard to go wrong on most of these questions if you revise the content. Well the content itself isn't even extensive, there is much less to memorise and you can make very good use out of the formula booklet (especially for A2 - In the AQA papers half the paper is multiple choice questions and I practically just use the formula sheet and that's it).

If you're good at physics and interested then dont let anyone stop you from doing it. I took AQA physics to A2 and I would say it is very packed, though not too hard, so be prepared to put in the effort if you want to do well, but I wouldn't say it takes up too much time relative to other subjects.
Original post by rxns_00
I feel like it's the easiest science. It's just hard to go wrong on most of these questions if you revise the content. Well the content itself isn't even extensive, there is much less to memorise and you can make very good use out of the formula booklet (especially for A2 - In the AQA papers half the paper is multiple choice questions and I practically just use the formula sheet and that's it).

Do you know if they will give formula booklets still in 2017? And also what content do you learn? I'm fine with mostly everything apart from forces/momentum:s-smilie:
Original post by BlueIsTheNewRed
If you're good at physics and interested then dont let anyone stop you from doing it. I took AQA physics to A2 and I would say it is very packed, though not too hard, so be prepared to put in the effort if you want to do well, but I wouldn't say it takes up too much time relative to other subjects.

I did my Physics GCSE last year and apparently the P3 content is just like A-level? I enjoyed it but I'm worried that I won't understand the content well enough.
I did my Physics GCSE last year and apparently the P3 content is just like A-level? I enjoyed it but I'm worried that I won't understand the content well enough.

Comparing GCSE to A levels is a pretty big understatement... There are plenty of topics in GCSE physics that A level revisits but definitely on another level. There is also quite a few application and experiment design questions that don't have model answers that you can learn. Plus ISAs are always a pain. Anyways it isn't too difficult to do well.:smile:
I personally dont like it considering doing Maths & Further maths with it
Studying A2 Physics right now (OCR) and it's horrible. Learning and understanding the content is good and all; but the mark schemes are stupid and don't credit correct answers half the time. Having looked at the specimen paper for the updated course, the questions are even harder and I'd definitely try and persuade anyone I know to do something else.

I'd much rather have taken further maths instead or biology or something.
Reply 8
It's painful (to a degree!). It's a lot of math, and the second year seems to be more chemistry than physics! LOL! But its great fun, and its really interesting. It's definitely not for the faint-hearted, unless you understand things the first time round/you have an amazing teacher who explains it in simple terms, then be prepared to really work hard and read around the subject.

WJEC is a bit of a pain as it has 90% of the formulas in the booklet, but doesnt tell you the other 10% (theyre not even in the specification!).
Original post by zackdove
Studying A2 Physics right now (OCR) and it's horrible. Learning and understanding the content is good and all; but the mark schemes are stupid and don't credit correct answers half the time. Having looked at the specimen paper for the updated course, the questions are even harder and I'd definitely try and persuade anyone I know to do something else.

Oh no the college I want to study at does the OCR specification but I don't know if they'll change depending on the new 2017 specification? I'm already taking Biology but I'm struggling to pick a fourth option (I've picked chemistry and history as well)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ayaz789
I personally dont like it considering doing Maths & Further maths with it

Because of the content?
Original post by BlueIsTheNewRed
Comparing GCSE to A levels is a pretty big understatement... There are plenty of topics in GCSE physics that A level revisits but definitely on another level. There is also quite a few application and experiment design questions that don't have model answers that you can learn. Plus ISAs are always a pain. Anyways it isn't too difficult to do well.:smile:

Yeah, I realised that it's a pretty big jump! Thanks for the advice, much appreciated :-)
Because of the content?

I just dislike it in general tbh
Oh no the college I want to study at does the OCR specification but I don't know if they'll change depending on the new 2017 specification? I'm already taking Biology but I'm struggling to pick a fourth option (I've picked chemistry and history as well)

Posted from TSR Mobile

They have to change it to the new spec (both are horrible but the new spec is even worse)

If you're good at maths take further maths, or if you're good at languages or essays take whichever you're best at. My biggest advice is to take whatever you can do best at - how well you 'enjoy' it is irrelevant IMO...

You have been sadly misguided!!
Depends on what you want to do at uni. For some subjects it is extremely useful- for others it's not.
They have to change it to the new spec (both are horrible but the new spec is even worse)

If you're good at maths take further maths, or if you're good at languages or essays take whichever you're best at. My biggest advice is to take whatever you can do best at - how well you 'enjoy' it is irrelevant IMO...

OP do not take this guy's advice. Do the subjects which you enjoy and which will help you get to the university course/future job of your choice. At A-level you're going to hate the subject if you aren't passionate about it so make sure you do something you enjoy as well as something that you're relatively good at. What's the point in doing A-levels that you don't enjoy- you might get good grades at the end of it but you probably won't be able to apply to the university course that you want the most since it might require different a-levels to the ones you picked. For example, if you want to do medicine there's no point choosing maths further maths history and politics just because you are good at them- find a career you are passionate about and choose A-levels that will help you get there (and that you enjoy)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do AS OCR B Physics and I really enjoy it. There is a mechanics module which I find pretty simple as it's the same as mechanics 1 I do in further maths. Not all of physics is maths though, other than the mechanics module most of the maths is just putting numbers into formulas and rearranging it. Although most people do maths with physics.

you just gotta memorize equations, like a lot of them, the maths is minimal, nothing harder than algebra actually.
Do you know if they will give formula booklets still in 2017? And also what content do you learn? I'm fine with mostly everything apart from forces/momentum:s-smilie:

Yeah I'm pretty sure they will because you could never memorise all those formulas. And honestly at A level you'll understand forces much more and mechanics might seem hard at the start but gets easier with some practice. Plus the A2 mechanics I actually found easier than the AS mechanics haha

"They don't credit correct answers"... Well then... It's not a correct answer lol? Don't discourage someone from taking a subject just because you're not particularly good at it yourself

Plus actually doing further maths and biology myself too, I think physics is simpler than the two, with less content and generally less need for natural mathematical ability

Quick Reply

Latest