The Student Room Group

How much maths is needed in computer science?

I have been tossing around a few ideas for future courses that i might want to take. I am currently looking at computer science courses. I do however understand that maths is involved in a lot of it. I am not doing maths at A-level and i achieved a B at GCSE.
I have found some universities that don't require maths as an A-level to do the course.
So, how much and how hard is the maths involved in Computer Science?
Depends on the uni, look at the modules.
The top universities require maths with a good grade for a reason.

Computer science isn't just programming. It's the in depth study of computers of which programming is a small subset. In order to be able to understand computational processes and to program very well, one needs to have a very good grasp of discrete mathematics and logic.
Original post by Incongruous
The top universities require maths with a good grade for a reason.

Computer science isn't just programming. It's the in depth study of computers of which programming is a small subset. In order to be able to understand computational processes and to program very well, one needs to have a very good grasp of discrete mathematics and logic.

Study of computation* not computers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Honestly I don't feel like a lot of math is needed. I think a similar mindset is needed in that you need to know how to problem solve efficiently etc but as far as equations, not really. Unless you go into a more specific field like game design where you'll need to know about physics and stuff, I can't draw too many parallels between maths and comp sci.
Original post by originalvinyl
I have been tossing around a few ideas for future courses that i might want to take. I am currently looking at computer science courses. I do however understand that maths is involved in a lot of it. I am not doing maths at A-level and i achieved a B at GCSE.
I have found some universities that don't require maths as an A-level to do the course.
So, how much and how hard is the maths involved in Computer Science?

I asked one of the lecturers a similar question when I went to an open day at Leicester. He said that you don't need any knowledge of A-Level Maths topics but that unis use it as a barometer to judge people's ability, my Access tutor said the same thing.

Quick Reply