The Student Room Group

History Exam - Depth Study

Hi everyone! I'm currently revising (well should be) for my History exam. The third paper (called paper 4) is on a depth study and we're doing USA. (This may apply to all the depth studies for the two sections within each) but I want to know whether I'll need to learn both 1920s and 1930s USA. People in my year said it is fine to revise one, because a question on each will come up - so whatever happens you'll be covered. But people are also saying that it could be that two questions on (for example) 1930s will come up which will mean that if I have only learnt 1920s this will be a disaster! I tried looking for the syllabus online but couldn't find information regarding this. I really don't want to learn a whole other topic if I don't need to. Please let me know if you can! Thank you! Good luck to everyone! :smile:
Speak to your teacher?

whats the exam board and code for the GCSE?
Maybe look at past papers and see what questions come up? If it's consistently that one question is on topic and one is another then you should be fine only learning one, but if some years they're the same question then you'd probably be best learning both.
The easiest thing to do though would be to ask your teacher about it, especially if the past papers thing doesn't give you the answer.
Reply 3
My teacher's told us that it is most always one 1920s (boom) and one 1930s (bust) question, and from all the past paper I've seen and all of the mocks that I've done, it's always been like that. Still, I'd recommend to revise all topic areas, or at least 1930s to some extent, because you never know what you might get asked, and you may get completely thrown off by the 1920s questions. Sometimes they can be just mean :/
I wouldn't be /too/ worried, though.

I'm doing America too! What are you hoping to get? For me, I'm praying for a question on change in American society, or something to do with Prohibition!
Reply 4
Thank you so much guys!
It is Cambridhe IGCSE.
I really want to just revise the 1920s but worried that they will give me 1930s!
All the past papers for paper 1 have both, but there are no past papers for the 40 marker (because it's instead of coursework) so I'm not sure about that!
Reply 5
Original post by emioww
My teacher's told us that it is most always one 1920s (boom) and one 1930s (bust) question, and from all the past paper I've seen and all of the mocks that I've done, it's always been like that. Still, I'd recommend to revise all topic areas, or at least 1930s to some extent, because you never know what you might get asked, and you may get completely thrown off by the 1920s questions. Sometimes they can be just mean :/
I wouldn't be /too/ worried, though.

I'm doing America too! What are you hoping to get? For me, I'm praying for a question on change in American society, or something to do with Prohibition!

I'm really not sure what to do! I REALLY don't want to learn 1930s, especially if I actually don't need to and then I can learn 1920s and everything else better!!
Reply 6
Just incase anyone's interested: I am just going to learn the 1930s because there is more that happened in that time. What I mean is that in the textbook "the 1930s" also includes 1929 so I know that by learning the 1930s I will definitely be safe for the exam!
Good luck!!
Reply 7
Not really sure if anyone will even see this: I am learning 1920s and Wall Street Crash
Keast you have a backup? Good luck anyway.
Original post by Tallat00
Thank you so much guys!
It is Cambridhe IGCSE.
I really want to just revise the 1920s but worried that they will give me 1930s!
All the past papers for paper 1 have both, but there are no past papers for the 40 marker (because it's instead of coursework) so I'm not sure about that!

Since you're doing CIE Igcse how's your revision for paper 1 on monday going? I'm quite nervous. I'm doing the 20th century option, however really hate the cold war so I'm mainly focusing on chapter 1-3 because they always have 2 questions on tht - I hope

Quick Reply

Latest