The Student Room Group

Opinions on stay at home girlfriends/wifes?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zargabaath
imo it should be the complete opposite. If you have kids, you should put their happiness before anything you may want. If you're raising another human life, unable to care for itself and totally dependant on you, it's selfish to compromise on that care for your own selfish wants and desires. Of course not everyone is in that position, but those that are able to should. We live in a very selfish generation, everything's me, me, me, people need to realise you can't raise a kid properly with that attitude.

I think you misunderstood.

What is meant with "happy parents = happy children" is that children pick up on emotions. If they pick up that their parents are happy and loving then they will feel happy and loved. If they sense unhappiness and anger they will feel unhappy.
Original post by Straighthate
feeding a child and changing their nappies whilst they watch TV is hard work?
sign me up

If you think that's all a mother does then you're deluded.

I probably would find it hard going back to work after having kids just because I'd want to be with them all the time and if as a family we could financially afford for me to be off work for a few years until they are in school then why not.

My mum and dad worked full-time when I was growing up and although I admire them for it, I used to hate going to after school clubs and stuff like that because they both worked til 5 and I didn't have anyone to pick me up from school. I admire them for it, don't get me wrong, but from a child's perspective, you get jealous of the kids who's parents pick them up from school everyday.
Original post by Mentally
I agree it's definately akward and embarrassing then again when she asks for a divorce and then takes the house and the kids you have no right to complain.

Also these kind of things were much more common in Europe in the past and is still very common in different cultures and religions. E.g in Islam we have something called the 'Nikkah' translating to a marriage contract.

Yeah I know aha. I'm a Muslim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think anything is wrong with it. Some women genuinely enjoy house work and taking care of their children 24/7 instead of outside jobs. The only problem I have with it if the husband is demanding the wife to be housewife, and doesn't do anything.
(edited 7 years ago)
Personally, I want to be a stay at home mother/wife and my boyfriend wants that too. Until we start a family of our own, however, I plan on working my ass off as university/career has been my dream for a long time. I don't think it's a bad thing at all to be a stay at home mother/wife. I think if you are stay at home wife/girlfriend without children or other responsibilities, it can be selfish and too reliant on the husband - same goes for stay at home boyfriend/husband.

I was reading a few of the comments about how stay at home mothers are compared to mothers who work, and in my opinion, mothers who stay at home to look after their children usually end up with children who feel a lot more nurtured and supported on an emotional level. Numerous studies have been done that agree with the positives to both stay at home mothers and working mothers.

It all boils down to personal opinion and your own relationship/family dynamic/financial capabilities. If you and your partner wish for one of you to stay at home to look after the children, then so be it. Good for them. If you both decide to work after one of you has spent the desired amount of time with the children, then fine. It's up to the relationship and the situation. I don't think anyone should judge people for what they chose to do (stay at home or work) and the husband should not be expecting the wife to stay at home etc unless they both agree it's what they want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending