The Student Room Group

National 5 English help!!

Is anyone doing Macbeth? If so, what do you think the questions will be and how long does it take you to write an essay?

Scroll to see replies

We are doing Macbeth too :smile:

Some of the possibilities could be:
Character who is important in relation to the theme (Macbeth and the theme of ambition)
Key scene (Act 3 scene 4)
Character who experiences a tragic fate (Macbeth)
Conflict between two characters (Macbeth and Lady Macbeth)
Effective opening

Do you have anymore ideas?

I really hope it's a character or a theme question.

It usually takes me between 40 and 50 minutes to write an essay but that's because i write very quickly and untidily.
I am - generally I'm not sure what questions would come up but I'm hoping of getting a question on the 'development of a character'.
It takes me around 40 minutes to write a 5 paragraph essay but it really depends on the question for me.
Reply 3
Original post by ___Sophie___
We are doing Macbeth too :smile:

Some of the possibilities could be:
Character who is important in relation to the theme (Macbeth and the theme of ambition)
Key scene (Act 3 scene 4)
Character who experiences a tragic fate (Macbeth)
Conflict between two characters (Macbeth and Lady Macbeth)
Effective opening

Do you have anymore ideas?

I really hope it's a character or a theme question.

It usually takes me between 40 and 50 minutes to write an essay but that's because i write very quickly and untidily.

Yeah, I have been doing so much probability on what will come up, feeling it could be an opening/closing scene or development of relationship. I hope it is either ambition or closing scene.

It takes me about 35-45 minutes but my writing is... questionable... :frown:
Original post by eve_4342
Yeah, I have been doing so much probability on what will come up, feeling it could be an opening/closing scene or development of relationship. I hope it is either ambition or closing scene.

It takes me about 35-45 minutes but my writing is... questionable... :frown:

I think it's unlikely that the same question will be used two years in a row so that rules out theme and conflict.
I really hope that it isn't an opening or closing scene question as I have never practiced those. But it is likely as those questions haven't been used yet. :frown:
I'm hoping to do very well for the scottish text and close reading so that if the essay questions are hard then my grade won't be affected.
Reply 5
I think it's unlikely that the same question will be used two years in a row so that rules out theme and conflict.
I really hope that it isn't an opening or closing scene question as I have never practiced those. But it is likely as those questions haven't been used yet. :frown:
I'm hoping to do very well for the scottish text and close reading so that if the essay questions are hard then my grade won't be affected.

I am so scared - I have practiced the essay but there are so many quotes, tomorrow is going be a lot of studying.

I have my best chance at the TA - we are doing MacCaig poems and they are okay.

Close reading for me is hit or miss - I have done he past papers so many times and well as like everything else. My prelim was a fluke though - 28/30. I'll never get that on Thursday :frown:
I am so scared - I have practiced the essay but there are so many quotes, tomorrow is going be a lot of studying.

I have my best chance at the TA - we are doing MacCaig poems and they are okay.

Close reading for me is hit or miss - I have done he past papers so many times and well as like everything else. My prelim was a fluke though - 28/30. I'll never get that on Thursday :frown:

28/30 is amazing!
I'm definitely most confident about the Scottish text, we are doing Edwin Morgan and I got full marks for that part of the prelim. I know all my quotes so that's good.
I'm confident about the close reading but I need to look over how to answer the questions.
However I haven't done any practice essays at home which is quite worrying! I did no practice essays before the prelim and I got 17/20, I think it was a key scene question. Although I think I only did so well because it was quite an easy question.
I have geography on Friday so I've been focusing on that this week as there is quite a lot of information to remember.
I'll just study English all day tomorrow (and all night if I have too!)
I'm happy that the exam is in the afternoon though.
Reply 7
28/30 is amazing!
I'm definitely most confident about the Scottish text, we are doing Edwin Morgan and I got full marks for that part of the prelim. I know all my quotes so that's good.
I'm confident about the close reading but I need to look over how to answer the questions.
However I haven't done any practice essays at home which is quite worrying! I did no practice essays before the prelim and I got 17/20, I think it was a key scene question. Although I think I only did so well because it was quite an easy question.
I have geography on Friday so I've been focusing on that this week as there is quite a lot of information to remember.
I'll just study English all day tomorrow (and all night if I have too!)
I'm happy that the exam is in the afternoon though.

That is amazing about your TA and your essay! I have geography too on the Friday and then biology on Monday so studying and sleeping is all I will do!
Found some more possible topics in my jotter:
Dramatic ending
Scene full of tension
Flawed character
Character who fascinates you
Character who illustrates ideas such as disloyalty and betrayal
That is amazing about your TA and your essay! I have geography too on the Friday and then biology on Monday so studying and sleeping is all I will do!

Good luck :smile: I think geography will hopefully be ok
Your scores are amazing! I'm doing macCaig too what are your thoughts on which poem it will be? Also do you have any ideas for film and television essay questions? Thanks
Reply 11
Found some more possible topics in my jotter:
Dramatic ending
Scene full of tension
Flawed character
Character who fascinates you
Character who illustrates ideas such as disloyalty and betrayal

I have just realised that I have done an essay on the importance of ending, not the final scene. I feel that I am screwed now!
Reply 12
Original post by Annie Kiloh
Your scores are amazing! I'm doing macCaig too what are your thoughts on which poem it will be? Also do you have any ideas for film and television essay questions? Thanks

I think it will be Assisi, Memorial or Sounds of the Day. I hope it is Assisi! Wby? And no, I have no clue, Macbeth is in the drama section, not the TV one.
I have just realised that I have done an essay on the importance of ending, not the final scene. I feel that I am screwed now!

I'm predicting that one of the questions could possibly be about a character who is flawed or experiences a tragic fate as they haven't been used yet. It's likely that if there is a question on the ending then the other question will be easier so I'm sure it will be ok.

A question on the importance of the ending could possibly come up eg.
A play with an ending which you feel is important
A play with an ending which you feel is important in relation to the theme
Reply 15
I'm predicting that one of the questions could possibly be about a character who is flawed or experiences a tragic fate as they haven't been used yet. It's likely that if there is a question on the ending then the other question will be easier so I'm sure it will be ok.

So for a tragic fate, I could use the downfall of Macbeth, right? And Macbeth flaw could be his ambition??
So for a tragic fate, I could use the downfall of Macbeth, right? And Macbeth flaw could be his ambition??

Yes. For tragic fate make sure you also mention how at first he did have the potential to be great but he gave in to his ambition and acted against his conscience leading to his downfall.
Reply 17
Yes. For tragic fate make sure you also mention how at first he did have the potential to be great but he gave in to his ambition and acted against his conscience leading to his downfall.

Yeah that's good. I have been currently be thinking of how I can use my original essays into new ones.
Yeah that's good. I have been currently be thinking of how I can use my original essays into new ones.

Me too. Most of the essay questions do have similarities as they mostly relate in some way to ambition as it is what causes all of Macbeths actions.
Reply 19
Me too. Most of the essay questions do have similarities as they mostly relate in some way to ambition as it is what causes all of Macbeths actions.

That's basically was prelim strategy and main exam plan.

Quick Reply