The Student Room Group

Illegally drove and hit a car

There is small problem here.. I was driving at around 12:30am few days ago and I do not have insurance on the car and neither do i have a full license, I had driven quiet a lot back in my country. But I hit a car by the side, it was a scratch situation and I panicked, I continued driving and was about to stop when i saw the car i hit which was a taxi follow me so I continued driving to get of the rush as it was near train station and police would go around there, i continued driving to a street where i was about to stop and i gave several indicators to the taxi driver to follow me, but he over take me and stopped right in front of me. And to current, its been 6 days, he does know I had no license or insurance, so he is asking for money which is Β£670 that he wouldn’t tell police and if i don’t pay he will(I got the whole proof on my phone), but as a student I am not able to pay that myself and as he didn’t inform police within 24 hrs and is now hiding the crime of me driving underage. What problems could this cause for me if the police finds and what to him from the police’s side.

Ps. I am aged 17. And yeh it was a stupid idea driving my dads car without their knowledge.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence - maximum of 6 penalty points, a Β£1000 fine and a driving ban.
Using a vehicle uninsured against third party risks - maximum of 8 penalty points, a Β£5000 fine and a driving ban.

Quite frankly, you are an idiot and deserve what you get. People like you are the reason insurance prices are so ridiculous, especially for young drivers.

You could go to the police and claim blackmail, but the taxi driver might just claim that you misunderstood and he just wanted money for the repairs. You would also get done for the above driving offences anyway.
Original post by Talon
Driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence - maximum of 6 penalty points, a Β£1000 fine and a driving ban.
Using a vehicle uninsured against third party risks - maximum of 8 penalty points, a Β£5000 fine and a driving ban.

Quite frankly, you are an idiot and deserve what you get. People like you are the reason insurance prices are so ridiculous, especially for young drivers.

You could go to the police and claim blackmail, but the taxi driver might just claim that you misunderstood and he just wanted money for the repairs. You would also get done for the above driving offences anyway.

Not to mention the penalties for drink driving.

I mean, come on, you'd have to be completely smashed to be stupid enough to go out driving in the middle of the night with no licence or insurance, right?

Oh and is vehicle theft on there too?

Man, the offences are stacking up, might even land some jailtime. Ah well, I suppose it'll keep a retard like you off the road in the meantime.

I'm interested, how did your dad react when he woke up one morning to find a prang in the side of his car?
(edited 7 years ago)
I hope you get arrested, charged, banned and heavily fined. I really do. It's the only way you'll realise what an arrogant, selfish, idiotic danger to other road users you are. Maybe they put up with idiots like you behind the wheel "back in your country" but we don't.
Original post by haiderkkhan
There is small problem here.. I was driving at around 12:30am few days ago and I do not have insurance on the car and neither do i have a full license, I had driven quiet a lot back in my country. But I hit a car by the side, it was a scratch situation and I panicked, I continued driving and was about to stop when i saw the car i hit which was a taxi follow me so I continued driving to get of the rush as it was near train station and police would go around there, i continued driving to a street where i was about to stop and i gave several indicators to the taxi driver to follow me, but he over take me and stopped right in front of me. And to current, its been 6 days, he does know I had no license or insurance, so he is asking for money which is Β£670 that he wouldn’t tell police and if i don’t pay he will(I got the whole proof on my phone), but as a student I am not able to pay that myself and as he didn’t inform police within 24 hrs and is now hiding the crime of me driving underage. What problems could this cause for me if the police finds and what to him from the police’s side.

Ps. I am aged 17. And yeh it was a stupid idea driving my dads car without their knowledge.

You get what you deserve.
I'm going to grab the popcorn...

Where the hell were you driving at midnight?
If it helps... I know someone who plotted his father's car in someone's fence...
Sell the car, pay the man.
Pay him.
Original post by Talon

And on top of that, I believe the police can seize the vehicle and have it crushed, though I'd say that's unlikely given that his dad is probably insured and the car was TWOCed, which could possibly land the OP with a criminal record.

Original post by XMaramena

Not quite. The OP seemed to have the intention of giving the car back to his dad, so it's a TWOC offence rather than theft.
Theft would be if he took the car with no intention of returning it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well, quite frankly, if you're going to do something like that, you should get no sympathy. I hope the driver does go to the police tbh.

Original post by TheMcSame
And on top of that, I believe the police can seize the vehicle and have it crushed, though I'd say that's unlikely given that his dad is probably insured and the car was TWOCed, which could possibly land the OP with a criminal record.

Not quite. The OP seemed to have the intention of giving the car back to his dad, so it's a TWOC offence rather than theft.
Theft would be if he took the car with no intention of returning it.

Although in this case, you kinda almost want it to be theft rather than just twoc.
Original post by Talon

Come on, like I am a human as well and i didnt hit that car intentionally. Humans do make mistakes
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XMaramena
Not to mention the penalties for drink driving.

I mean, come on, you'd have to be completely smashed to be stupid enough to go out driving in the middle of the night with no licence or insurance, right?

Man, the offences are stacking up, might even land some jailtime. Ah well, I suppose it'll keep a retard like you off the road in the meantime.

I'm interested, how did your dad react when he woke up one morning to find a prang in the side of his car?

Well maybe but I do not drink. And tbh my dad didnt give af about the car, it his least liked car. And what do you mean vehicle theft, its my dads car not some strangers. And idk if your dad would call the police to tell them that you took their car but my dad wouldnt do that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Tell your old man and ask for help. He won't be pleased but better that than owning up to the police. They will throw the book.

I'm nearly 26 and don't have a licence. This is the sort of stuff I get nightmares about.
Original post by rockrunride
Tell your old man and ask for help. He won't be pleased but better that than owning up to the police. They will throw the book.

I'm nearly 26 and don't have a licence. This is the sort of stuff I get nightmares about.

There you go thats the kind of answer I am looking for. Thanks! Not like the others just telling me stuff.
Well maybe but I do not drink. And tbh my dad didnt give af about the car, it his least liked car. And what do you mean vehicle theft, its my dads car not some strangers. And idk if your dad would call the police to tell them that you took their car but my dad wouldnt do that.

That's not how it works. When the police knock on your door, they'll either do your Dad for allowing an uninsured/unlicensed driver to drive the vehicle he is responsible for, or they'll do you for taking without consent. Catch-22, no way out of it. And that's on top of all the other charges you'll be facing.

It's not your car. You took control of the vehicle without the owner's knowledge or consent, with no authority to drive it, or any other car for that matter.

It's colloquially called "Twocking", falls under the Theft act, is an arrestable offence and carries a prison term of up to three years.

A little light bedtime reading for you:

Theft Act 1968, Chapter 60, Article 12: Taking a motor vehicle or other conveyance without authority.

(1) Subject to subsections (5) and (6) below, a person shall be guilty of an offence if, without having the consent of the owner or other lawful authority, he takes any conveyance for his own or another's use or, knowing that any conveyance has been taken without such authority, drives it or allows himself to be carried in or on it.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) above shall on conviction on indictment be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three years.

(3) Offences under subsection (1) above and attempts to commit them shall be deemed for all purposes to be arrestable offences within the meaning of section 2 of the Criminal Law Act 1967.

(4) If on the trial of an indictment for theft the jury are not satisfied that the accused committed theft, but it is proved that the accused committed an offence under subsection (1) above, the jury may find him guilty of the offence under subsection (1).

(5) Subsection (1) above shall not apply in relation to pedal cycles ; but, subject to subsection (6) below, a person who, without having the consent of the owner or other lawful authority, takes a pedal cycle for his own or another's use, or rides a pedal cycle knowing it to have been taken without such authority, shall on summary conviction be liable to a fine not exceeding fifty pounds.

(6) A person does not commit an offence under this section by anything done in the belief that he has lawful authority to do it or that he would have the owner's consent if the owner knew of his doing it and the circumstances of it.

I hope you get the full force of the law come down on you. As Duncan said, it's the only way you'll realise what an arrogant, selfish, idiotic danger to other road users you are.
If the police investigate, either:-

Your dad will say that you didn't have permission to drive, and you get prosecuted for taking without owner's permission

Or

He say that he gave you permission and he gets charged with allowing an uninsured and unlicensed driver permission to drive

His insurance will also be affected and will not cover the damage
Come on, like I am a human as well and i didnt hit that car intentionally. Humans do make mistakes

Yeh, people hit cars accidentally. It's a lot less accidental when you take the car without permission, and drive it without a full license with no supervision, and no insurance.

If it were just hitting the car, I'd have said, fair enough, but driving without insurance is why people pay so much more. Hence why no one has any real sympathy.

Latest