Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Flying Etihad to the Philippines with a severe nut allergy.

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I've currently got a ticket booked for a two week trip to the Philippines with Eithad Airways. I plan to travel around for that period and stay in hostels etc on a budget. I also have a severe nut allergy. I've only ever had two allergic reactions and only one has been serious and happened when I was only a baby. It involved me actually eating a peanut and having to go to hospital. I'm just worried that after reviewing Etihads policy on flying with a nut allergy, that states they cannot guarantee a nut free environment, whether I should risk flying with them or not. I understand their policy and have flown many times before, but the longest flight I have ever done previously was four hours long. After ringing the airline and speaking to them they said they could not guarantee that nuts/mixed nuts would not be served as a complimentary snack to their first class passengers but may be able to refrain from serving them in economy class, where I'm seated. They also indicated that they would not make an announcement on the flight with regards to my allergy, asking other passengers to refrain from eating nuts onboard. This has made me worry that on the flight previous, nuts would have been served in the economy area and their residues will be all over the plane and, if served during the flight would result in the aroma and potentially dust accumulating in the aircraft. I just want to know if anybody has flown with Etihad with a peanut/tree nut allergy (that can induce anaphylaxis) and what they did to make their journey safer and whether or not I should still fly with them or not risk the chances of me going into anaphylactic shock 35,000 feet in the air. Also beginning to think that maybe going to the philippines with my allergy probably isn't the best idea with my allergy as it is. If I did decide to cancel my flight is there anything I could do to get a full refund or not.
    Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

The Etihad policy sounds similar to what I've experienced with other airlines. Do you have the appropriate medical equipment in case of a problem (an epipen?)? I think you're bigger problem is eating safely in the Philippines. I've never been there before but can imagine it isn't very different from other east Asian countries where you don't always know exactly what's in your food.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.