The Student Room Group

UK ban on "legal highs"

This poll is closed

Will the UK ban on the sale of psychoactive substances be enforced by the end of May?

Yes 44%
No56%
Total votes: 18
Hi all,
This has been in the news a fair bit recently so I was wondering what you guys thought about the legislation. The UK Psychoactive Substances Act 2016, banning sale of so-called 'legal highs', was granted Royal Assent in January 2016 and was due to take force on 6th April. However, reports of difficulties in securing convictions under similar legislation already introduced in Ireland, mostly relating to problems defining the 'psychoactive effect' of any given substance, caused the government to delay the Act's enforcement. On 24th March, government minister Karen Bradley stated that enforcement would follow 'in the spring'. So do you think that the government will follow through on this? Do you think it's a good idea in the first place?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Except legal highs are complete **** and the majority or people who buy them are dumb adolescents because they're so easy to buy from seedy little stores. Just smoke some weed ffs.
My mum has fond memories of a kid dying from the college she works at and another getting hospitalised because of dat stuff.
I'm all for legalising drugs that have a decent pleasure/risk payoff, but **** drugs like legal highs are like slow euthanisation for the socially deprived.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Except the only reasons legal highs exist is because they can be sold in stores due to legal loopholes. Make other better drugs legal and no one would bother with them apart from desperately poor glue-sniffing types.
Come on, you must be aware of how awful the "highs" are from these things.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Yeah, already said I'm all for legalising tried-and-tested drugs which would hopefully make these pathetic attempts at profiting from the naive obsolete
Just keeping legal highs legal is useless.
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah, except obesity which cost the UK's economy more than the war on terror (£47bn a year) - I know this has nothing to do with with drugs, but this is replying directly to your bold statement.

Current legislations against drugs should be kept.

The only drug I could see ever being legalised is marijuana, but even then there should be laws on consumption, location and possession.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by RobML
Except legal highs are complete ****.

We don't even know how a legal high will be defined how can we know everything being banned is ****?
Reply 6
You've messed the question up.

'Will the ban be banned'
Close the company's that make them
Reply 8
Original post by EUTyranny
Close the company's that make them

That make what exactly?
Most won't be in the UK, how can we close them?
Reply 9
Original post by Dodgypirate
Yeah, except obesity which cost the UK's economy more than the war on terror (£47bn a year) - I know this has nothing to do with with drugs, but this is replying directly to your bold statement.
You want to hand over control of what you eat to the government? :s-smilie:
You want them legalised :angry:???

There was a girl at my old college aged 19 with her whole life in front of her. She was intelligent, bubbly very likeable and wanted to be a teacher.
She took only 1 legal high at a party and suffered a massive brain haemorrhage and brain swelling. She spend 6 months in a coma. She has only made a partial recovery but needs 24 hour nursing care, suffers regular epileptic seizures, blinding headaches and sickness. She has to be spoon fed, unable to use the toilet and has a mental age of a 3 year old. Its highly unlikely she will make much more of a recovery and may not live to be 40.

That's what LEGAL highs can do to people! And you want this poison kept legalised? What next sell them in sweet shops next to schools so kids don't have to get them from underworld dealers?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Ambitious1999
You want them legalised :angry:???

There was a girl at my old college aged 19 with her whole life in front of her. She was intelligent, bubbly very likeable and wanted to be a teacher.
She took only 1 legal high at a party and suffered a massive brain haemorrhage and brain swelling. She spend 6 months in a coma. She has only made a partial recovery but needs 24 hour nursing care, suffers regular epileptic seizures, blinding headaches and sickness. She has to be spoon fed, unable to use the toilet and has a mental age of a 3 year old. Its highly unlikely she will make much more of a recovery and may not live to be 40.

That's what LEGAL highs can do to people! And you want this poison kept legalised? What next sell them in sweet shops next to schools so kids don't have to get them from underworld dealers?

Legal highs are already legalised; the clue's in the name.

I believe he was talking about legalisation of substances as a whole, thereby eliminating the market for the replacements that carry more harmful effects.
Reply 12
Original post by Ambitious1999

Criminalising doesn't stop people harming themselves with drugs and the drug she took probably only exists because of criminalising other safer drugs.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/teenager-who-died-after-taking-mastercard-ecstasy-pill-named-as-faye-allen-a7012561.html
Original post by JoeTSR
You've messed the question up.

'Will the ban be banned'

Yeah I just realised that. Is there any way to change it? It should read "Will the ban be enforced..." FWIW
Also if anyone's interested , the Almanis crowd currently puts the ban at about a 30% chance of coming into effect by the end of May: http://app.almanis.com/#/outcomes/383
Does this seem accurate to you guys?
Original post by RobML

My mum has fond memories of a kid dying from the college she works at

legal highs are a mug's game
Reply 16
Original post by the bear
legal highs are a mug's game

What do you think could have been done to prevent that kids death though bear?
Original post by Alex from almanis
Yeah I just realised that. Is there any way to change it? It should read "Will the ban be enforced..." FWIW

I think I've fixed it.

I agree with comments being made by others, that if some drugs were decriminalised there'd be no need for people to try and get around the law by making these "legal" drugs instead.
Original post by RobML
Except legal highs are complete **** and the majority or people who buy them are dumb adolescents because they're so easy to buy from seedy little stores. Just smoke some weed ffs.
My mum has fond memories of a kid dying from the college she works at and another getting hospitalised because of dat stuff.
I'm all for legalising drugs that have a decent pleasure/risk payoff, but **** drugs like legal highs are like slow euthanisation for the socially deprived.

But this doesn't just ban "legal highs". It bans EVERY SUBSTANCE which affects the brain. It bans research chemicals, making medical research into Alzheimer's, Parkinsons, depression, all sorts of psychiatric and neurological disorders significantly more difficult. It bans herbal treatments for depression and anxiety. It bans every single substance developed in the future which affects the brain. When Prof. David Nutt and his team manage to develop "alcosynth" - a safe alternative to alcohol - it will be BANNED while alcohol will remain legal. The idiot MPs writing this legislation don't even know of the existence of most of the substances that will be banned. Most of the substances that will be banned haven't even been ****ing created yet.

But that's only the tip of the iceberg for this disgusting, ludicrous piece of legislation. The Psychoactive Substances Act is based on another piece of legislation - the Irish Psychoactive Substances Act. Since that act was passed in Ireland, use of legal highs has gone UP (Ireland has the highest usage of legal highs in the EU, with OVER 20% of people having tried them). The only thing this act actually achieved in Ireland was shutting down the shops offering a safe source of these products, and forcing people to buy from illegal dealers with no concern for their customers' welfare. This act has been tried and it made the problem significantly worse.

We know for a fact that prohibition of drugs doesn't stop people from using them.

So what do we do? Do we listen to the facts? Nah, we introduce the exact same piece of legislation to appease some uninformed morons!!!

This is possibly the worst piece of legislation ever written. How anyone can genuinely believe, after almost a century of trying, that you can actually stop people from using drugs is beyond me. How do you become so detached from reality? I wish I could live in my own ****ing fantasy bubble.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by JordanL_
But this doesn't just ban "legal highs". It bans EVERY SUBSTANCE which affects the brain. It bans research chemicals, making medical research into Alzheimer's, Parkinsons, depression, all sorts of psychiatric and neurological disorders significantly more difficult. It bans herbal treatments for depression and anxiety. It bans every single substance developed in the future which affects the brain. When Prof. David Nutt and his team manage to develop "alcosynth" - a safe alternative to alcohol - it will be BANNED while alcohol will remain legal. The idiot MPs writing this legislation don't even know of the existence of most of the substances that will be banned. Most of the substances that will be banned haven't even been ****ing created yet.

But that's only the tip of the iceberg for this disgusting, ludicrous piece of legislation. The Psychoactive Substances Act is based on another piece of legislation - the Irish Psychoactive Substances Act. Since that act was passed in Ireland, use of legal highs has gone UP (Ireland has the highest usage of legal highs in the EU, with OVER 20% of people having tried them). The only thing this act actually achieved in Ireland was shutting down the shops offering a safe source of these products, and forcing people to buy from illegal dealers with no concern for their customers' welfare. This act has been tried and it made the problem significantly worse.

We know for a fact that prohibition of drugs doesn't stop people from using them.

So what do we do? Do we listen to the facts? Nah, we introduce the exact same piece of legislation to appease some uninformed morons!!!

This is possibly the worst piece of legislation ever written, and anyone who supports it is ****ing stupid. How anyone can genuinely believe, after almost a century of trying, that you can actually stop people from using drugs is beyond me. How do you become so detached from reality? I wish I could live in my own ****ing fantasy bubble.

What about the slave trade?

Anyway, I suggested the better route would be to just legalise most drugs, so that shitty untested synthetic cannabis (the majority of legal highs do seem to be shitty untested synthetic cannabis) and what have you would become unattractive to both sellers and buyers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending