The Student Room Group

Cambridge International 2016 Chemistry (9701) Paper 2

I just came back from my exam, I did 9701/22, and it wasn't as expected.
Half of it was hard while the rest was okay.
I was wondering if any of you did it too?
How did you find it?
what do you expect the GT will be?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by A.S.J
How did you find it?

Which questions did you find hard and which ones easy??
yeah what type of questions were there? I mean like were they similar to past papers or more of a new pattern?
Reply 3
I know I messed up around 10 marks or so:/ and I'm scared...
It was very different. Different from all the papers before.
And I'm doing A level this year
I was also wondering if I get an E or D, god forbid, in one paper, can I manage to get an A overall?
Reply 4
Original post by mavros

The halogens one and on alcohol were easy. so I'm sure, 100% I will get at least 25 marks:/
Reply 5
Original post by mavros

The halogens one and on alcohol were easy. so I'm sure, 100% I will get at least 25 marks:/
Reply 6
Original post by A.S.J
How did you find it?

And which ones did you find really challenging. Because I did p21 and i want to see the similarities
Which variant?
Is it the one which had the moles question with hydrated ethandioc acid
Reply 9
Original post by mavros
And which ones did you find really challenging. Because I did p21 and i want to see the similarities

Original post by AmmarAliJaved
Which variant?

Is it the one which had the moles question with hydrated ethandioc acid

I did varint 22

Yes!! I got 3 moles My friend got 5 one got 2 one got 23!

Okay so first question was this table and we had to fill the name proton number nucleon number charge and stuff.
second part was ionisation energy and electron configuration.
Then we had the second question on halogens. we had a table given with bond energies, had to calculate bond energy and give reasoning for some things. I'm sure I got all of this right.
then we had reactions with cl for3 marks which I messed up:/
so in organic we had esters and carboxylic acid, and it was v tricky and idk why my brain shut down and when I came out of the exam hall I was like ' I know how to do that!' -_-
then we had Infra red spectrum
And the last question was the best, on alcohols.

Is it possible to do good, or get an overall A in Alevel chem( I'm giving all papers, 1 2 3 4 5) if this paper went bad? like if I get God forbid, a D or E?

How was 21 and 23?

I found this quite different than other papers. And many girls said it was hard.

Anyone has tips how I can revise for chem paper 4? I have on this Tuesday with Bio 4 on Monday and exams on 11 and 12 too
Original post by A.S.J
I did varint 22

Yes!! I got 3 moles My friend got 5 one got 2 one got 23!

Okay so first question was this table and we had to fill the name proton number nucleon number charge and stuff.
second part was ionisation energy and electron configuration.
Then we had the second question on halogens. we had a table given with bond energies, had to calculate bond energy and give reasoning for some things. I'm sure I got all of this right.
then we had reactions with cl for3 marks which I messed up:/
so in organic we had esters and carboxylic acid, and it was v tricky and idk why my brain shut down and when I came out of the exam hall I was like ' I know how to do that!' -_-
then we had Infra red spectrum
And the last question was the best, on alcohols.

Is it possible to do good, or get an overall A in Alevel chem( I'm giving all papers, 1 2 3 4 5) if this paper went bad? like if I get God forbid, a D or E?

How was 21 and 23?

I found this quite different than other papers. And many girls said it was hard.

Anyone has tips how I can revise for chem paper 4? I have on this Tuesday with Bio 4 on Monday and exams on 11 and 12 too

I messed up too, extremely silly mistakes. I didn't mention that HF has hydrogen bonding, I wrote about how it's bond energy is greater -_- also the value of x in the moles question was supposed to be 2 while I got 16, so basically I have like 10 marks wrong probably. But the good thing is that most people did worse so I think it's fair to hope that we'll get an A*
Original post by A.S.J

How are you finding bio and chem paper 4? I also have them next week, is there anything you're finding difficult?
Reply 12
I messed up too, extremely silly mistakes. I didn't mention that HF has hydrogen bonding, I wrote about how it's bond energy is greater -_- also the value of x in the moles question was supposed to be 2 while I got 16, so basically I have like 10 marks wrong probably. But the good thing is that most people did worse so I think it's fair to hope that we'll get an A*

Yes I think I made silly mistakes in the ester question. I asked a former A level student and said that we should focus on paper 4 get 70 and high in paper 5 to get over all A
How are you preparing for chemistry paper 4?
I also wrote than F is more electronegative so IMF are stronger than in Cl Br and I , so greater boiling point.
Papers I did accept that there are covalent bonds and IMF.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Dohaeris
How are you finding bio and chem paper 4? I also have them next week, is there anything you're finding difficult?

Bio is fine. I'm okay with it, just Genetic engineering is a bit annoying , otherwise everything is good. I'm confident for bio.

I'm worried for chem and Physics. In chemistry, its just the partition coefficient and NMR Mass spectrometry and common ion effect that are annoying.
And for physics I have problems in Op-amps and communications, the weird equations.
Other than that I'm fine. And ofcourse paper 5 for physics is annoying too.

What about you?
How are you revising chemistry?
Did anyone here do variant 2? I was really confused about question 1. It supposed to be a simple question where you need to find some numbers of protons, electrons, neutrons, etc.

But the information given by the question was that Boron has atomic number of 4. According to the periodic table, atomic number of Boron is 5!! Atomic number of an element is always the same right? Can anyone be kind enough to tell me if it was me that went insane or that the question was actually wrong???
Original post by sara1479
Did anyone here do variant 2? I was really confused about question 1. It supposed to be a simple question where you need to find some numbers of protons, electrons, neutrons, etc.

But the information given by the question was that Boron has atomic number of 4. According to the periodic table, atomic number of Boron is 5!! Atomic number of an element is always the same right? Can anyone be kind enough to tell me if it was me that went insane or that the question was actually wrong???

Honestly, I double-checked as well, and knew there'd be a catch somewhere since it's the CIE now. Hence, I think, you were just supposed to follow the question against all odds. If it's incorrect, which is pretty unlikely, they will give everyone the mark or well, cancel it.
Original post by A.S.J
Bio is fine. I'm okay with it, just Genetic engineering is a bit annoying , otherwise everything is good. I'm confident for bio.

I'm worried for chem and Physics. In chemistry, its just the partition coefficient and NMR Mass spectrometry and common ion effect that are annoying.
And for physics I have problems in Op-amps and communications, the weird equations.
Other than that I'm fine. And ofcourse paper 5 for physics is annoying too.

What about you?
How are you revising chemistry?

Physics I'm not doing, but Chemistry I can help you out with. What do you find difficult about those topics? Or is it just the general idea? because they're pretty vast.

I go over my notes again and again, so I know pretty much everything that needs to be memorised. I'm also doing a bunch of past papers, obviously
Reply 17
Original post by Dohaeris
Physics I'm not doing, but Chemistry I can help you out with. What do you find difficult about those topics? Or is it just the general idea? because they're pretty vast.

I go over my notes again and again, so I know pretty much everything that needs to be memorised. I'm also doing a bunch of past papers, obviously

I did that too.
I nearly did all the papers but in Electrode potentials sometimes I calculate the E value the other way round:/
And I went over partition co-efficient again yesterday, I think I'm okay in that.
Yes what I don't quiet get is how to use the common ion effect in Ksp questions.

Do you have the new book?
Reply 18
Original post by sara1479

Original post by Ahseya101
Honestly, I double-checked as well, and knew there'd be a catch somewhere since it's the CIE now. Hence, I think, you were just supposed to follow the question against all odds. If it's incorrect, which is pretty unlikely, they will give everyone the mark or well, cancel it.

Honestly, I thought it was only me! I'm glad I know someone else who had a problem with it.
Original post by A.S.J
I did that too.
I nearly did all the papers but in Electrode potentials sometimes I calculate the E value the other way round:/
And I went over partition co-efficient again yesterday, I think I'm okay in that.
Yes what I don't quiet get is how to use the common ion effect in Ksp questions.

Do you have the new book?

Yep, I've got the new book. To be honest, I'm just worried that they'll bring a couple of the ridiculous questions I can never seem to figure out, like some of the ones where we have to deduce a structure using the NMR spectrum.

But still, the grade threshold for an A is usually in the 60 to 70 range, so we should still be able to get As

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending