The Student Room Group

Is it weird to romanticise the north of England?

I do it, I just want to know if it's weird. I've done it my whole life, ever since childhood, i've had this mythic view of it and the south never did it for me in that way. It seems like now it's maybe more Americanized or cultureless, hollowed out and maybe I'm romanticising something that isn't there. Or like loads of people just want to leave. Anyway, to any northerners, is this weird? Is there the same pride or identity any more? Curious...
Reply 1
What sort of pride and identity do you mean? I'm from the north and my boyfriend is from the south (we both currently live in the west midlands) and I have been surprised how different the culture is between the two in regards to a few things e.g. in my hometown it's common place to settle down and start having children in your late teens and early 20s yet in his most people do that in their late 20s and early 30s.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I do it, I just want to know if it's weird. I've done it my whole life, ever since childhood, i've had this mythic view of it and the south never did it for me in that way. It seems like now it's maybe more Americanized or cultureless, hollowed out and maybe I'm romanticising something that isn't there. Or like loads of people just want to leave. Anyway, to any northerners, is this weird? Is there the same pride or identity any more? Curious...

Its not weird.. as a northerner let me tell you that loads of fat working class blokes that speak with unintelligible accents and love pies and gravy forging away with their bare hands in the harsh destitute wastelands of northern England to serve her majesty our saviour is very romantic

Enough said :tongue:
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Its not weird.. as a northerner let me tell you that loads of fat working class blokes that speak with unintelligible accents and love pies and gravy forging away with their bare hands in the harsh destitute wastelands of northern England to serve her majesty our saviour is very romantic

I started out in the midlands, most of my life in the South-East. Dad's Northern.
There's something smug as hell about the south/south-east, I know the idea that you'd actually choose to move north is considered risible. It's basically, the south, plus holidays in latin countries. But I think the complacency is irritating, not to mention the conservatism, and I think a the countries beating heart and soul, surely geographically at least, if it to be a successful entity, is in the north of England, which is the centre of Britain. I don't think sun is all that great, a bit overrated tbh, as nice as it probably is in Dorset etc. I'm a patriot but I think idealise this country and want it to change radically-it's messed up now and considering going abroad-when it gets back it's greatness.....I would want to go up north. It just has more mystery, it seems like people are less conservative/pro-tory/establishment, and like it's less concerned with being cool and something more substantial.
'appen
Plus how can a country that wants to be great just be a single end with all so called culture, money and ambition, and have the rest of consigned to being a wasteland in the minds of many, it's just perverse. Its' like-prosperous south-east, looking down on everywhere in the UK and looking towards Europe- that simply isn't a nation. We should close down the borders, and please don't caricature me for that, it's the amount and rashness of policy on immigration that bothers me, I know there is way more than that wrong with this country and I blame immigrants themselves for nothing. Just politicians. We need to be an entity with a cohesive identity, and if that encompasses the whole geography, the north would in my ideal, be beating and soulful heart away from London, full of educated people, independently of class, questioning conformity and conservatism which will inevitably take root stronger, even stronger, in the S/E, if we leave the EU.

Quick Reply

Latest