The Student Room Group

Did anyone take AS CIE Chemistry exam today?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maria.x
How can you be so sure? :eek: I've only seen ecf in moles. I mean, If I wrote Al2O3+6HCl=2AlCl3 + 3H2O that's not the right answer, so I'll just get a 0. Simple as that.

Yes, maybe. But I think that in CIE the examiner marks the whole question i.e. just not part (b), so if he saw that you just used the wrong elements throughout, you may get some marks
Reply 41
Variant 1 question 4: we had to draw different isomers for C4H8. What did u guys get for the last isomer, in which which also had to give a test which would differentiate between the two isomers
Original post by ZK123
Variant 1 question 4: we had to draw different isomers for C4H8. What did u guys get for the last isomer, in which which also had to give a test which would differentiate between the two isomers

I gave butene with the double bond in the middle (but-2-ene) because it has an alkene group. For the test i gave: add Br2 (aq), butene will decolorise it but the "square" molecule will not.
Original post by SamihaTahsin
so what other subjects did u take? and i am guessing you are in zone 4

Maths and Physics
i wrote aluminium and sulfur..didnt see group 4:mad::mad:
Reply 45
Did any1 give pure mathematics paper 1 variant 1 today?
Original post by mat7276
It said DEFG are consecutive elements in period 4, so if Ga was D then Se had to be G
Assuming they wanted it in alphabetical order? Germanium and Selenium are both viable answers. Just have to wait for the results i guess.
Reply 47
I sat for paper 22...yea it was a bit weird
What did u all get for X
I got x as 2
For the last question in organic chemistry,
I wrote some CN forms covalent at the right side and some at the left side of the carbon atom
Is it fine??
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 48
For paper 22, what did u get as the value of x
I got x as 2
Reply 49
i sat for variant 22 as well, and the paper was between the range of okay to bad. I think I messed up the sum asking us the value of x in a hydrated salt.
Reply 50
Original post by Shamita
I sat for paper 22...yea it was a bit weird
What did u all get for X
I got x as 2
For the last question in organic chemistry,
I wrote some CN forms covalent at the right side and some at the left side of the carbon atom
Is it fine??

X is equal to 2. Most of my classmates got that answer (i didn't).
Reply 51
i sat for variant 22 as well, and the paper was between the range of okay to bad. I think I messed up the sum asking us the value of x in a hydrated salt.

Hey guuys did u take the second variant exam (9701/22)? It was a little weird for me too, not bad but not as great as i thought it would be.

anyone up for matching any answers?

I am up for matching answers!
Original post by A*girl
X is equal to 2. Most of my classmates got that answer (i didn't).

what did you get may i pls know? my friend and i got a different answer too and i thought we were right
little scared now
Original post by A*girl

I am up for matching answers!

what did you get may i pls know? my friend and i got a different answer too and i thought we were right
little scared now
Reply 54
Well i got it as 1 but some of my classmates got if as 2. And we think 2 is right.
Guys if my working was correct in the moles question (paper 22), but I didnt get x = 2 because my equation was wrong in the 1st part, there will be ecf right?? I really hope so. Also, what was the answer to the question "state and explain the trend of the formulae of the chlorides MgCl2 (and 2 other chlorides I dont remember)...?"
Original post by anonymousx9
Guys if my working was correct in the moles question (paper 22), but I didnt get x = 2 because my equation was wrong in the 1st part, there will be ecf right?? I really hope so. Also, what was the answer to the question "state and explain the trend of the formulae of the chlorides MgCl2 (and 2 other chlorides I dont remember)...?"

it has something to do with the oxidation numbers increasing across the period, like from +2 to +4 or sth like that, don't remember the exact compounds but pretty sure the trend was sth like that

and as for ecf, i really hope they do it. but i dont understand, how is it 2? what did u get?
Original post by olmomiau
For the paper 21, question 1, the part where you had to draw the paths of a proton and a neutron in an electric field, did you draw the proton deflected upwards? I did that, but also thought that due to the the mass of the proton being nearly 2000 times the mass of the electron, its deflection could be too small to be seen. What did you put?
Also, on question 2, for the reactions of the period 4 compound, did you use the letter they gave in the question or the actual symbol of each element?

SAME! i had to erase it off all the time, to clearly show a little deviation than the electron. and yes i didnt use the actual symbol. i was confused too so i just use Ga and Se there.
Reply 58
it has something to do with the oxidation numbers increasing across the period, like from +2 to +4 or sth like that, don't remember the exact compounds but pretty sure the trend was sth like that

and as for ecf, i really hope they do it. but i dont understand, how is it 2? what did u get?

I got 2 as well. I multiplied the whole second equation by 3 so that I will get 6 electrons as the first equation. Then, I cancelled out the 6 electrons in both equations and wrote the reactant together on the left side and products together on th right side. Can I know how u balanced your equation like did u balance it in terms of electrons or hydrogen and what did u get as x?
Hey guuys did u take the second variant exam (9701/22)? It was a little weird for me too, not bad but not as great as i thought it would be.

anyone up for matching any answers?

OMG i did paper 22 as well it was realllly weird
I am losing a lot of marks! They didn't have Kc, Kp, contact/habers process/ Hess law ..all those questions were you could easily score 20-25 marks weren't even there!! and usually they ask about the enthalpy change for combustion/formation but they HAD to bring atomisation!! even the stoichiometery was weird with writing the full equation and all...pls tell me I'm not the onlyy one!!! :'(

Quick Reply

Latest