The Student Room Group

iGCSE English Language Paper 3 May 6th 0500

There's a similar thread for paper 2. Discuss about the exam paper and clear your doubts here. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm a teacher of this IGCSE (note that large I - it's not an iPod :tongue: ) syllabus :smile: Feel free to ask any questions that you have.
Original post by Angelil
I'm a teacher of this IGCSE (note that large I - it's not an iPod :tongue: ) syllabus :smile: Feel free to ask any questions that you have.

I was wondering if you could correct a descriptive piece of mine from a past paper?
Reply 3
Sure :smile: Send it over!
Reply 4
Original post by Angelil

Since you're a teacher, can you send a PDF/Images of yesterdays English Language exam paper, as it should be available online for teachers with registered CIE logins. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by superoo
Since you're a teacher, can you send a PDF/Images of yesterdays English Language exam paper, as it should be available online for teachers with registered CIE logins. :smile:

No. Firstly, that would be unethical. Secondly, they are not available online for teachers until after moderation has taken place, results have been issued and examiners' reports have been written (i.e. not until September at least). Thirdly, I don't even have a copy of the paper to call my own: I got a quick peep at it today because the secretary was kind enough to take it out of the safe for me, but that's all.
Reply 6
Original post by Angelil
I'm a teacher of this IGCSE (note that large I - it's not an iPod ) syllabus Feel free to ask any questions that you have.

Hey since you are a teacher and seem to know a lot about iGCSE Eng Lang, could you explain how your final grade is added up? Some people are doing coursework writing components - however our class (and I'm sure other classes too) only did a speaking and listening one (which is also marked out of /30) - but why is this so?

Also, am I right to say that the total marks is out of 130 for this syllabus? (I'm doing extend btw and the 0522 exam - but i also had the exam on tue and this coming fri like everyone else)
50 marks on paper 2
50 marks on paper 3
--
speaking + listening out of 30 marks
= 130.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by byaakun
Hey since you are a teacher and seem to know a lot about iGCSE Eng Lang, could you explain how your final grade is added up? Some people are doing coursework writing components - however our class (and I'm sure other classes) didn't, only a speaking and listening one (which is also marked out of /30) - but why is this so?

Also, am I right to say that the total marks is out of 130 for this syllabus? (I'm doing extend btw and the 0522 exam - but i also had the exam on tue and this coming fri like everyone else)

50 marks on paper 2
50 marks on paper 3
--
speaking + listening out of 30 marks
= 130.

Sorry, I can't help there as my students only do papers 2 & 3, which are worth 50% of their IGCSE each. No speaking and listening or coursework for them, so I wouldn't feel sufficiently equipped to respond to your query.
Reply 8
Original post by Angelil
Sorry, I can't help there as my students only do papers 2 & 3, which are worth 50% of their IGCSE each. No speaking and listening or coursework for them, so I wouldn't feel sufficiently equipped to respond to your query.

Ah I see! I'll just take it that every school does it differently. May I ask where the other 50% comes from?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
There is no other 50%...
They get 50% of their grade from Paper 2
and 50% of their grade from Paper 3...

It's not that "every school does it differently" - there are just different syllabuses. We could have chosen to replace the Paper 3 with coursework but we have never chosen to do this as the current system works well for our students.
The entire IGCSE is out of 125 as the speaking and listening is reduced to 25 marks instead of the 30 you are assessed on. To work that out simply do 0.835 multiplied by your speaking and listening grade and that will be your mark out of 25.
Original post by HouseOfRichman
The entire IGCSE is out of 125 as the speaking and listening is reduced to 25 marks instead of the 30 you are assessed on. To work that out simply do 0.835 multiplied by your speaking and listening grade and that will be your mark out of 25.

ah i see. thanks ^^
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Angelil

Hi, could you take a look at one of my answers to question 1 on paper 3 if you have any spare time?
Original post by Mr Hyde(r)
Hi, could you take a look at one of my answers to question 1 on paper 3 if you have any spare time?

Sure :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Angelil
Sure :smile:

do you have any idea what the paper 3 question 1 was?
was it a article or lettter
Teachers usually don't look at papers. My English paper didn't even see Paper 2, she just knew it was a letter.

What do you think they'll give for tommorow's exam?
In my view, it's useless to predict what may come up. People were trying to do it on another thread for P2 and were completely wrong!

Even if I had seen P3 in advance (I haven't!), it would be unethical to tell you what was going to come up.
I saw P2 very very briefly after the exam but don't have a copy to call my own.
Reply 17
What techniques should I use if I do the narrative piece? Also does anyone have a list of useful phrases/ vocab/ similes that could be used for the descriptive writing?
Can someone also look at my answer for q1 on one of the past papers for paper 3? ^^
So, I wrote the exam (paper 32). It was pretty easy actually, we were asked to write a letter and in the descriptive section you have to also describe your thoughts and feelings based on the event.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending