Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

How many months off after university?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I finish university in May and graduate in July this year, I have plenty of savings to do any kind of travelling after uni. I am hoping to go into Investment Management as a career. Currently have no job offers - but I do have a temporary employment offer at a small Financial Planning firm in Croydon that would start in August 2016. I also have an offer for a voluntary scheme in Phillipines starting in September 2016.

My options:

1) Stick around for summer and sit some professional exams, then go travelling/volunteering until December?

2) Go travelling straight away in June and worry about finding a trainee investment management role when I come back.

3) Go on holiday until I graduate then focus on finding a graduate role.

My two worries are: If I go and can't find anything I want when I get back, or if I dont go and still can't find anything I want and I've wasted time.

What would this do to my job prospects when I return? I have an internship at a large bank in accountancy, and some work experience at a boutique investment management firms. Also from a Russell Group uni.

It's possible but chances of getting on a graduate programme for in this year's intake for investment management is slim. Go on holiday and start your job with your financial planning company. Seem like you have good resume. Better than a lot I've seen. When you come back look at investment management entry level roles. If not then go for Big 4. You're still fresh less than a year in the miserable world. During interviews you'll have an interesting story to tell about your holiday. I like hearing holiday stories orovided that you didn't spend it in Cornwall. Nobody likes hearing about Cornwall.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.