The Student Room Group

GCSEs for Oxbridge

Hey all,
I'm sitting my GCSEs in around two weeks time. I am predicted:

Mathematics - A* (already obtained)
English Language - A* (already obtained)
English Literature - A*
Geography - A*
Physics - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A*
History - A/A*
French - A
Music - A
Welsh - A (already obtained)

Are these grades good enough for Oxford or Cambridge? I am leaning towards Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A-level for engineering at degree level, though may take history - I'm completely undecided!

Worst case scenario is 6/7 A*s, 3/4 As and 1 B, best is as listed above with 8A*s and 3 As. Thank you very much for your replies!
Reply 1
i think so. i don't think it really matters. however (from what i have heard) they are more likely to consider you when you get 8 A stars and above
For engineering, it's probably best that you take maths and physics at A-level as opposed to history :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think GCSE's matter, really, in the grand scheme of things.

To be considered at A-level you need good predicted grades. It's early entry so you apply after you've gotten your AS grades; they look at your AS grades and you need at least AAAB to be considered. Your final A-level grades should be A*A*A or something of the sort. You need at least one A* in your final A-level exam, in principle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gera279
Hey all,
I'm sitting my GCSEs in around two weeks time. I am predicted:

Mathematics - A* (already obtained)
English Language - A* (already obtained)
English Literature - A*
Geography - A*
Physics - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A*
History - A/A*
French - A
Music - A
Welsh - A (already obtained)

Are these grades good enough for Oxford or Cambridge? I am leaning towards Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A-level for engineering at degree level, though may take history - I'm completely undecided!

Worst case scenario is 6/7 A*s, 3/4 As and 1 B, best is as listed above with 8A*s and 3 As. Thank you very much for your replies!

Yes, they are more than fine. Definitely take Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A-level (don't replace any of them with History), and consider taking Chemistry as well (at least to AS) if your school allows it.
Agreed that you should only consider history as a fourth choice if you're serious about engineering.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/engineering-science?wssl=1
Reply 6

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending