The Student Room Group

Coping with (Hypo)Mania

HI guys,

I don't know if anyone here deals with mania at all but I've started to note a few warning signs that from past experience tell me I'm about to hit another (hypo)manic episode.

I was just wondering if anyone here had any techniques that they used to help with mania??

I've already given my credit cards to a trusted person and will be seeing my psychiatrist soon, but just wondered if there's anything more I can do??

Thanks all

SS
Original post by Squaresquirrel
HI guys,

I don't know if anyone here deals with mania at all but I've started to note a few warning signs that from past experience tell me I'm about to hit another (hypo)manic episode.

I was just wondering if anyone here had any techniques that they used to help with mania??

I've already given my credit cards to a trusted person and will be seeing my psychiatrist soon, but just wondered if there's anything more I can do??

Thanks all

SS

I find that sorting out my sleep pattern, as far as possible, really helps. Last time I was prescribed zopiclone (do NOT take this for more than a week, and only then if you really need it- it can be highly addictive), as I had been sleeping between 2-3 hours (or not at all) every night for more than a fortnight. I would try my best to sort it out without medication first, though- meditating and listening to calm music helps me relax before going to sleep. Even if you can't sleep, I would recommend lying there just to rest. Try going to the gym when you wake up- not too late, as this can put your energy levels up and increase your mania/ hypomania.

Make sure you eat healthily and regularly (three times a day). When my mood is high (and when it is low), I can go for a week or two on one or two small meals a day: this is ***not*** healthy. If you don't feel hungry, this doesn't mean that you don't need food.

Try to keep up your socialization. Talking to your friends/ family when you feel like this can help you feel more connected and helps them to recognize any warning signs of mania/ depression.

This isn't to suggest that any of these are necessarily the 'cause' of mania: it's just that getting them under control can help you focus on sorting out your mood!

It's really good that you've noticed the warning signs- but don't substitute proper medical attention for anything online/ that you aren't told by a professional.

Good luck!
Reply 2
I wish I had some tips but, for me, this is a relatively new thing. If only because I didn't know anything was wrong before (at least that had a name)

I do know that lack of sleep makes mania much much worse. I've been on a manic period and the insomnia is really wrecking my head but I can't take sleeping pills :/
Thanks for all the tips guys :smile:
My psychiatrist that I see at CAMHS told me to take deep breaths and try and clear my mind of thoughts.
It doesn't seem to work very well with me since I can never clear my mind and always end up holding my breath and becoming more elated for letting go of all the pressure that I build up, but it's worth a try, it may work with you.
I've also been struggling with binging lately because of stress and I find when I eat large amounts it triggers/makes it worse, esspecualy my sleep.

I know how you feel, Last week I couldn't sleep at all because I was squealing and getting extremely excited because my exams were coming up (out of all things I could be happy about and it was that...)

Quick Reply

Latest