The Student Room Group

WJEC Language 2016 official prediction thread

Scroll to see replies

Is there anyone who could have a look at my story and give me feedback, please? I left school on Friday with my teacher saying write a new story; little did I know that I will not be able to go and see her about my new story. My exam is next Tuesday.
Reply 481
Original post by 1macksam
Is there anyone who could have a look at my story and give me feedback, please? I left school on Friday with my teacher saying write a new story; little did I know that I will not be able to go and see her about my new story. My exam is next Tuesday.

Sure! Send your story to us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TracyEmu

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you.
I've sent you the message!:biggrin:
When writing a report, can you write in first person (in the intro) or not, as I've heard different opinions from two different sources!😊😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophFlorence
When writing a report, can you write in first person (in the intro) or not, as I've heard different opinions from two different sources!😊😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teacher, who is an examiner, said that writing in first person in a report is the worst thing ever. I wrote one, 'I believe' in a mock and she went wild.😂😂 Talk in a posh and boring way, 'One could'. I am doing WJEC, but a report is a report, so, it shouldn't change over exam boards. All the best. 😆
Reply 485
My teacher, who is an examiner, said that writing in first person in a report is the worst thing ever. I wrote one, 'I believe' in a mock and she went wild.😂😂 Talk in a posh and boring way, 'One could'. I am doing WJEC, but a report is a report, so, it shouldn't change over exam boards. All the best. 😆

Great advice! I hope to remember that in the exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks SO much! I didn't think you could, but thought I'd clarify anyway! 😃 I hope a report doesn't come up; I suck at writing them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks SO much! I didn't think you could, but thought I'd clarify anyway! 😃 I hope a report doesn't come up; I suck at writing them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. I got 59/60 in that exam, so if you need any help, you're more than welcome to ask!😊

What exam board are you doing the non-fiction exam with (I think that's the exam where they can ask you to do one of the 6 types of writing; speech, leaflet, report, informal letter, formal letter and a review) ?
Wow, that's amazing; well done! I'm with the Welsh board, too.

Thank you. It's mainly the reports I struggle with to be honest; I'm much better at being lively and cheesy:biggrin: Have you any tips for when writing a report? Thanks!😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you get it? I made this account in 2014 and as of yesterday, I have been using it; so, I am a bit uneducated. 😂
Wow, that's amazing; well done! I'm with the Welsh board, too.

Thank you. It's mainly the reports I struggle with to be honest; I'm much better at being lively and cheesy:biggrin: Have you any tips for when writing a report? Thanks!😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I was so shocked. I am the same as you; I am better with reviews where I can get a bit jokey and cheesy!

My teacher gave me a sheet of A* tips for each non-fiction type, as for report, this is what it says;

- Avoid using first person. Instead write impersonally. Start with, 'This report will consider'. Use phrases such as, 'It has been suggested that...' and 'One could...'

- Keep titles clear and simple, 'A report on...'

- Organise ideas using sub-headings; Introduction, Positive Outcomes, Negative Outcomes, Conclusions and Recommendations.

Hope that helps. 😊
Thank you! I was so shocked. I am the same as you; I am better with reviews where I can get a bit jokey and cheesy!

My teacher gave me a sheet of A* tips for each non-fiction type, as for report, this is what it says;

- Avoid using first person. Instead write impersonally. Start with, 'This report will consider'. Use phrases such as, 'It has been suggested that...' and 'One could...'

- Keep titles clear and simple, 'A report on...'

- Organise ideas using sub-headings; Introduction, Positive Outcomes, Negative Outcomes, Conclusions and Recommendations.

Hope that helps. 😊

Yep, cheese all the way🧀😂

Wow, fantastic tips; thank you SO, SO much! I've screenshot them so I can look at them later. I'm currently about to write an article as part of my revision( report will follow) agh!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, always give case studies in your non-fiction; make it up! For a review, if your question is

Write a report on work experience conducted by pupils at your High School to the Head Teacher.

Introduction (I use 'aims')

This report will outline the benefits and drawbacks of work experience week undertaken by Year 11 pupils at ____ High School.

Benefits of work experience

Don't use any conversational phrases like, 'It goes without saying that'. Be straight to the point.

A case study could be;
One pupil proclaims that by going on a placement in a local Primary School enhanced their skills: understanding the commitments of the job, how to correctly respond to questions that a child may ask and what to do if an emergency arises.

Drawbacks of work experience

Conclusion

Recommendations

Hope this plan helps.
Also, always give case studies in your non-fiction; make it up! For a review, if your question is

Write a report on work experience conducted by pupils at your High School to the Head Teacher.

Introduction (I use 'aims')

This report will outline the benefits and drawbacks of work experience week undertaken by Year 11 pupils at ____ High School.

Benefits of work experience

Don't use any conversational phrases like, 'It goes without saying that'. Be straight to the point.

A case study could be;
One pupil proclaims that by going on a placement in a local Primary School enhanced their skills: understanding the commitments of the job, how to correctly respond to questions that a child may ask and what to do if an emergency arises.

Drawbacks of work experience

Conclusion

Recommendations

Hope this plan helps.

That really has helped a bunch! Thank you:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're welcome 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to write in an impersonal tone. Instead of writing "I have carried out a report into..." you should write "a report has been carried out..."
Instead of writing "my findings are that..." you should write "it has been found out that..."

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 496
Original post by rebbarn29
You need to write in an impersonal tone. Instead of writing "I have carried out a report into..." you should write "a report has been carried out..."
Instead of writing "my findings are that..." you should write "it has been found out that..."

Hope this helps :smile:

That's correct!
Reply 497
What are your predictions on the English language unit 2 writing exam questions?
Reply 498
That's correct!
predictions on the English language unit 2 writing exam questions?
Reply 499
Original post by Luke59
predictions on the English language unit 2 writing exam questions?

A formal Report
A informal/formal Letter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending