Maths Ocr 2016 C1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lapis.Lazuli
Maybe take a few marks off last year's boundaries

Posted from TSR Mobile

You take at least 15-20 marks off??
is 40 marks reasonable for a C?
Original post by NotGambit
How many marks do you think we'd get if we followed all those steps but accidently put a - in the wrong place?

You put a (-) somewhere? Maybe lose 2 accuracy marks, but you'll get the method marks if you did the rest of the method right.
Original post by MrCoolVille
is 40 marks reasonable for a C?

I think ( i'm not sure) that 35 is E/D so for C you need at least 45+

The grade boundaries are going to be around 57-59 for an A, I think anything lower would be a bit too optimistic as you have to take into account the fact that C1 is the most popular exam for retakes, so a lot of Y13 students would have taken it, which usually increases the grade boundaries.
Original post by Logic4Life
For the completing the square question I goofed up.
The question was -2x^2+12x+4 but I took the values to the other side and got 2x^2-12x-4 and I completed the square. How many marks will I get. Also will I get error carried forward for the next question asking for the maximum point?

I did exactly the same. Probably lost 3 marks, which then rolls on to the other question which was another 2 marks, which is annoying if they dont have ECF.
Reply 307
Original post by FluffyCommie
The grade boundaries are going to be around 57-59 for an A, I think anything lower would be a bit too optimistic as you have to take into account the fact that C1 is the most popular exam for retakes, so a lot of Y13 students would have taken it, which usually increases the grade boundaries.

I don't know if they'll be that high, looking back the lowest grade boundary I've seen is 54, and that was still an easier paper. So might be at 55/56

Then what do you expect? No one knows for sure. Speculating is a waste of time

Posted from TSR Mobile
don't worry about what they say, you're correct.
technically, it is 0<r<3√5 -5 (not sure if they'll require you to say r>0)

NB 3√5 = √45

thanks, that's reassuring. From previous markschemes I've see questions like this usually allow the r>0 but don't take marks off if you don't have it
is a stretch parallel to x axis of scale factor 2
THE SAME AS
a stretch parallel to Y axis of 1/2?
Can someone explain why there is a -5 in 0<r<root45 -5 I thought the radius was just root 45?
Original post by nox1
I don't know if they'll be that high, looking back the lowest grade boundary I've seen is 54, and that was still an easier paper. So might be at 55/56

I really want it to be lower than 54 but I just have a feeling that it won't... There's no doubting it was the hardest C1 to date, so if it shows in the marks, i'm sure OCR will be forgiving :smile:
Reply 314
I really want it to be lower than 54 but I just have a feeling that it won't... There's no doubting it was the hardest C1 to date, so if it shows in the marks, i'm sure OCR will be forgiving :smile:

Yes same, but it also depends on how everyone did. Looking at the unofficial mark scheme I think I got less than 50, so looking at a B :frown:
Original post by dsouza22neeson
Can someone explain why there is a -5 in 0<r<root45 -5 I thought the radius was just root 45?

the radius is √45, but the question asked you to find a range of values for the radius of the smaller circle, and the way to do that is to find the difference between the radius of the circle (√45) and the distance from the centre of the the circle at (4,3) to the origin (0,0), which is 5.
Hence √45 - 5 :smile:
also don't forget that r cannot be 0 so 0<r<√45 - 5
Original post by nox1
Yes same, but it also depends on how everyone did. Looking at the unofficial mark scheme I think I got less than 50, so looking at a B :frown:

What kind of marks were you getting in the other past papers? because I'm pretty sure people who have been getting 70/72 have completely bummed this paper, so don't sweat it, perhaps more people did badly than you think :wink:
Reply 317
What kind of marks were you getting in the other past papers? because I'm pretty sure people who have been getting 70/72 have completely bummed this paper, so don't sweat it, perhaps more people did badly than you think :wink:

I suppose averaging around 67? Haha thank you :wink:
the radius is √45, but the question asked you to find a range of values for the radius of the smaller circle, and the way to do that is to find the difference between the radius of the circle (√45) and the distance from the centre of the the circle at (4,3) to the origin (0,0), which is 5.
Hence √45 - 5 :smile:
also don't forget that r cannot be 0 so 0<r<√45 - 5

Sorry i still don't understand cos i cant remember how the diagram looked, was 0,0 inside the circle?
That won't make a difference unless everyone who did the exam did bad. They can't just lower the grade boundaries if a few people found it difficult. I know of people who found this exam a walk in the park and lets just hope this is only the minority. The exam boards make it so every year the same percentage/proportion of people get A's. If the highest marks are around 50 for the MAJORITY then OCR will have no choice but to set the mark for an A at 50 to ensure the proportion of students getting A's doesn't drop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending