The Student Room Group

Maths Ocr 2016 C1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by julesaquilina
I put x equal to y^1/4 and i got y=1/16 and 81

What was the actually question doe?
Original post by KevinGu123456789
For the question about the circle being wholly inside the other, did anyone else get 0<r<√45 - 5?
Most people got 0<r<2, but I thought that this may not be right

How many marks was this one in particular??
Original post by hunihuni
How many marks was this one in particular??

The tiny circle question for r was 2 marks
OCR C1 Grade Boundaries for an A throughout the year

June 2010 -- 58 / 72

January 2011 - - 54 / 72

June 2011 -- 61 / 72

January 2012 -- 57 / 72

June 2012 -- 61 / 72

January 2013 -- 61 / 72

June 2013 ----- 60 / 72

June 2014 -- 65 / 72

June 2015 -- 65 / 72
OCR C1 Grade Boundaries for an A throughout the yearJune 2010 -- 58 / 72January 2011 - - 54 / 72June 2011 -- 61 / 72January 2012 -- 57 / 72June 2012 -- 61 / 72January 2013 -- 61 / 72June 2013 ----- 60 / 72June 2014 -- 65 / 72June 2015 -- 65 / 72
Original post by blinin7

Im also sure the radius was 0<r<=2
As when you put y=0 into the circle equation, you got x=-2
Given the centre of the mini circle was at the origin, and had to be within the larger circle, the furthest it could have been was 0 -> -2 giving it a radius of 2 or less? It was only 2 marks so I cant see how it would be more complex than that?

I think that if you look closely, the distance between the centre of the big circle and the point on it that, if you draw a straight line though the origin, is slightly shorter than 2.
Since the radius is square root 45, and the distance between the origin and the centre of the big circle is 5 (3, 4, 5 triple), the maximum radius is square root 45 - 5. If you go onto the graphing calculator for desmos, and type in:

(x-4)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 45 and x^2 + y^2 = 4, I think you can see that the circle with radius 2 is too large, whereas if you type in x^2 + y^2 = (square root 45 - 5)^2, it appears to fit snugly
Do you think grade boundaries will be below 54 cuz it was 54 for an A in 2011 paper which was easier than this
I think an A will be about 55-58? Anyone else agree?
Reply 168
How hard was the C1 OCR exam people?
Original post by Balrajan singh
What will the grade boundaries be guys? Jan 2011 was 54 for an A and that was much easier than this paper. I got 67 on 2011 paper. This paper was a wreck.

wow the boundaries can go low as 54? maybe i still have hope yet
Guys, you know how last year a mark dropped in the paper was like 3 UMS...well do you think it will be the same this time around? I am pretty sure the grade boundaries will be lower than last year's due to this paper's difficulty.
Guys,
Okay i did the paper last year and got a b (need an A for uni so resat)
And every year "it was the hardest paper yet"
It sucks i know - I mucked up abit too but don't dwell on it. Knuckle down and concentrate on the next paper. That's all you can do. Grade boundaries are unlikely to change
Original post by nobodycarescarla
Guys,
Okay i did the paper last year and got a b (need an A for uni so resat)
And every year "it was the hardest paper yet"
It sucks i know - I mucked up abit too but don't dwell on it. Knuckle down and concentrate on the next paper. That's all you can do. Grade boundaries are unlikely to change

what? june 2015 was one of the easiest papers to date
Original post by admirableyellow

I agree the only hard question was the one with an area. We did 2014 as a mock and i got full marks but this paper i think i got like 54
Did anyone get 12 for the last question? I substituted (ax^-2)/8 back into the original equation twice
Original post by admirableyellow

100% agree. June 2015 was piss easy in comparison to this years.
Reply 176
Defo lower grade boundaries than last year. I was hoping for 95+ UMS in this - I'm in a gap year and have been waiting all year to resit C1-C4 and M1, but that paper has screwed me slightly.

Now I'll take 80UMS and pray the others aren't too bad.

Last year C1 was a piece of p*ss and the rest were difficult, so lets hope this year it's the opposite, or should I say -f(x)...
Reply 177
Does anyone know if there is an unofficial mark scheme??
Original post by MrZebraCookie
Did anyone get 12 for the last question? I substituted (ax^-2)/8 back into the original equation twice

No I did not. I got a=27. I cannot remember the exact question, but you needed to differentiate the equation to get a=8x^3. Then substitute y=32 back into the equation to get x=3/2. Hence, 8(3/2)^3=27.
This was the hardest C1 paper OCR has given us in years. I have done every single past paper and always did alright. You can see a pattern in the questions, especially after 2012. This year was completely different, questions worded differently and a lot more surds/fractions/indices work than normal.
Surely this means low grade boundaries?? Please? I know I screwed up a lot of the questions and quite frankly that exam shook me.
Does anyone have an unofficial markscheme anywhere? So I can see if I got at least one right :frown:
C2 better be kind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending