The Student Room Group

Temp Dr Registration

Hello,

So I'm at a uni in London- and my question is about doctors surgeries. So I am registered with a GP back home (about 3hr away from London), who is lovely and I really don't want to leave that GP surgery as I'll be moving back, and they currently don't accept new patients, so I don't want to lose my place with the current GP.

A few months a go, I experienced a traumatic event, diagnosed with ASD, had CBT. This hasn't helped, and I really need to see a GP in London, as I'm up here for a few weeks and not sure it can wait now, as its becoming more serious.
Can I register as a temporary patient, and see the same doctor on a long-term period? Or is it a case of changing doctors fully? Just thinking prospect of needing follow-up appointments or repeat prescriptions.

Anyone had any experience- even just the fact of using a temporary Dr and repeat prescriptions etc (not expecting someone to have the same situation fully!)

I am going to ask a Drs surgery tomorrow close to the uni, but just thought I'd post on here too.

Thanks x
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

So I'm at a uni in London- and my question is about doctors surgeries. So I am registered with a GP back home (about 3hr away from London), who is lovely and I really don't want to leave that GP surgery as I'll be moving back, and they currently don't accept new patients, so I don't want to lose my place with the current GP.

A few months a go, I experienced a traumatic event, diagnosed with ASD, had CBT. This hasn't helped, and I really need to see a GP in London, as I'm up here for a few weeks and not sure it can wait now, as its becoming more serious.
Can I register as a temporary patient, and see the same doctor on a long-term period? Or is it a case of changing doctors fully? Just thinking prospect of needing follow-up appointments or repeat prescriptions.

Anyone had any experience- even just the fact of using a temporary Dr and repeat prescriptions etc (not expecting someone to have the same situation fully!)

I am going to ask a Drs surgery tomorrow close to the uni, but just thought I'd post on here too.

Thanks x

There is such a thing as tempory registration but it is for a fixed ammount of time and you can't just keep temp registering at the same place.
Does your uni have a doctors surgery connected? They would probably be best suited to give you advice sonce they deal with students a lot.
As far as I am aware from being in a simmilar situation your only option is to temp or full reg.

It's quite annoying for me since I can't unregister at my home gp as I am in the process of being tested and diagnosed for things and if I were to register somewhwere else that would all stop and get messed up. I get ill loads though so at uni I have to rely on going to the walk-in.
My logic for choosing where to stay registered was based on my current tests and the fact that if I was ever properly ill I would be more likely to go home so my parents could care for me.
The system really isn't set up for students. they say register where you are most but it's literally half and half for me.

Anyway sorry about that little rant that was kinda irrelivant to you.
Go ask a doc surgery near you what they suggest. It may even be that your home doc could refer you (if you needed a referal) to somewhere near you although I doubt it.

Quick Reply

Latest