Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mental Illness and Uni Applications

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

I am going to apply for five unis (entry: fall 2017) and my top wishes are Oxford and Durham. I have been struggeling with my mental health since the beginning of my second year of the IB, and was diagnosed with moderate depression last November. As a result of this depressive episode I was a lot away from school and unable to do homework because of the concentration difficulties, and it severely affected my grades (especially in HL Physics and Mathematics). I am so certain that I am going to need a retake in Physics that I've already decided that I am going to start studying for the retake once I'm done with my current exams. My GP prescribed antidepressants, and I got much better. However, now with the exam stress I have had several panic attacks and have serious issues with sleeping during the night. I am going to see my GP soon, but I believe that this insomnia also severely affects my ability to write good exams, and it is annoying, because I feel like my mind is working at half capacity. Before my depression kicked in I mostly got predicted 7s in all subjects, so this situation is incredibly frustrating.

Now that I have disclosed the background information, I have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know how Durham views retakes? I know that when applying to Oxford, extenuating circumstances need to be disclosed in order for you to be able to not have a much weaker application than the other people applying, is it like that at Durham too?

2. How do I disclose extenuating circumstances to Oxford? I chose my Norwegian HL teacher to write my reference, since it has some relevance to Law. The problem is that she has no idea about this situation, and therefore she will not write it in the letter of recommendation. Is it possible to have two references, or a doctor's note somehow attached to the application?

3. Is depression considered an extenuating circumstance?

Have you tried contacting the universities you want to apply for. I know when I emailed Cambridge about mental health and application process when considering extenuating circumstances, they took it very well and helped out a great deal.

Try emailing or phoning them up.

Depression can be considered an extenuating circumstance but only if it impacted your ability to do well/reach your full potential. In your extenuating circumstances disclosure you will need to have your doctor explain/back you up on how your depression affected your work. You can also explain how it affected you in your own words but you will need a doctor to clarify this in order for it to not hinder your application.

You will also need to prove that you are fit enough to do well at Oxford/Durham. Obviously they won't expect you to be perfect and they would supply you with support at university but you need to prove you are fit to study and get good grades. If you can resit your exams and what not, and have other extracurriculars as well has have your doctor explain you are on track to managing your depression, you should be fine.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.