The Student Room Group

Picking a university course is driving me crazy!

So I have decided to get my dream job, I am going to have to go to university.
To gain access into university I'm going to have to do some courses to meet the requirements..
So I am looking for the course I would need to do.. And I have no clue what all the random words mean, and what course I actually need to go onto...!!!!

My ideal job would be to work for Microsoft, doing operation systems and application coding sided.
I have a couple of years off application development now, but unfortunately that's not enough for Microsoft, they demand a degree.

So.. What does
BEng (Hons)
BSc (Hons)
MComp
MEng

In computer science mean?

i have gathered that HOns means honours, but what does this mean?

And any advice for what course would be best to fit my ideal job?

The university I'm looking to go to is Sussex university, based in Brighton.
(edited 7 years ago)
Honours means that you graduated with an honours classification (First class honours, upper second class honours, lower second class honours, third class honours) rather than only securing the pass degree, without honours, that today is very seldom given.

BEng (Hons) - Bachelor of Engineering
BSc (Hons) - Bachelor of Science
MComp - Master of Computer Science (this is likely to be an integrated masters making the course 4 years rather than three)
MEng - Master of Engineering (as above)

In most instances a person on a BEng degree would choose to do the extra year for the MEng (which confers accredited professional status) rather than exit after 3 years. There are now three main reasons for which a person might choose to graduate with the BEng:

1. She has lost interest in Engineering as a career such that she doesn't need the accreditation, just a (i.e. any) Bachelor's degree.
2. She is performing poorly - "I'd never pass the extra year so it is best to pull out now".
3. She is performing so well that she feels she'd be better served in having the 4th year as a standalone Masters degree at a better regarded institution -> BEng (UWE) MSc (Bristol)

Note: this concern about professional accreditation doesn't obtain so much in computer science. Leaving with a BSc in computing would imply nothing more than that a person was keen to begin his career.

Reply 2
Okay that is very interesting and opened my eyes.

Would you have any advice on what course would be of best option for me? I.e... Of cause the MComp would be the best advised, but.. Would the computer science help me more in my particular situation?
In other words,
Is
MComp in computer science
Or
BSc (hons) in computer science
Going to help me out towards my career as a operation system developer?

Quick Reply

Latest