The Student Room Group

Can low attendance get your offer withdrawn?

Hello people.

Recently I've been missing a lot of school which caused my attendance to drop pretty low, like 60/70% low.

I've received offers from unis a good few weeks ago, one unconditional. I have now made my choices and I'm sure I can make the grades.

I wondered though, can unis withdraw my offers due to low attendance?

I'm pretty sure this is not something that happens. I would imagine there is a good chance the offer might not be made in the first place if the reference would mention that the person has low attendance or has poor punctuality.

Or could they withdraw offers?

I also think that the unis are more concerned with the actual grades and your personal statement rather than anything else.
The offer is based on grades. Nothing to do with attendance.
Nope, I'm pretty sure they can't see your attendence. Your tutor might have mentioned it in your reference but it's in their best interest to get you as many offers as possible so I doubt they would have done that.

My attendence was just above 60% in AS (having a 35% attendence in Maths...) and I got 5 offers just fine and nothing happened to them.
Original post by Meegas
Hello people.

Recently I've been missing a lot of school which caused my attendance to drop pretty low, like 60/70% low.

I've received offers from unis a good few weeks ago, one unconditional. I have now made my choices and I'm sure I can make the grades.

I wondered though, can unis withdraw my offers due to low attendance?

I'm pretty sure this is not something that happens. I would imagine there is a good chance the offer might not be made in the first place if the reference would mention that the person has low attendance or has poor punctuality.

Or could they withdraw offers?

I also think that the unis are more concerned with the actual grades and your personal statement rather than anything else.

No, they can't.

However even unconditional offers can be withdrawn if you don't sit the exams you said you were going to sit. If your attendance gets super low without a good reason, will your school/college still let you sit the exams?

TBH it's not a good idea to get into the habit of not attending (unless you've been ill or something) because then it's harder to break that pattern when you do arrive at uni and no-one's checking up on you.
Btw I never realised attendance was optional. How are you getting away with it OP?
Reply 5
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
No, they can't.

However even unconditional offers can be withdrawn if you don't sit the exams you said you were going to sit. If your attendance gets super low without a good reason, will your school/college still let you sit the exams?

TBH it's not a good idea to get into the habit of not attending (unless you've been ill or something) because then it's harder to break that pattern when you do arrive at uni and no-one's checking up on you.

You got to the core there. I feel really guilty for not attending as it does contribute to bad habit. Not all that much bothered about school itself as not much teaching going on there anyways.

Original post by 999tigger
Btw I never realised attendance was optional. How are you getting away with it OP?

It's not optional. I did get a shi*load of crap for it today. They threatened they will withdraw me from exams. Not gonna happen though from what I heard, just wanted to scare me. Fairly deserved I guess. And how I get away with it, I don't have a clue myself. Consider me lucky.
Original post by Meegas
You got to the core there. I feel really guilty for not attending as it does contribute to bad habit. Not all that much bothered about school itself as not much teaching going on there anyways.

It's not optional. I did get a shi*load of crap for it today. They threatened they will withdraw me from exams. Not gonna happen though from what I heard, just wanted to scare me. Fairly deserved I guess. And how I get away with it, I don't have a clue myself. Consider me lucky.

That's pretty much how I felt at this stage of sixth form- I was better off revising at home on my own time. It was genuinely a better use of my time. I had a conversation with my psychology teacher that went along the lines of "According to your attendance I'm not allowed to let you sit the exam, but I know you'll get an A so..."

The thing is, attending things you find boring or pointless is one of those things you'll have to do for the rest of your life, and once you've got into the habit of seeing compulsory things as optional, it's hard to get out of it. It's only a month and a bit, and then you'll have the whole summer off.

I'm not saying you have to get 100% attendance for the rest of the year, but maybe try not to let yourself get into the habit of not going because you cba :tongue:
You should be aiming for maximum attendance for your own sake. However I cannot see how your school would withdraw you as they have already paid for these exams and if someone lost a university place over something like this the school could end up with legal repercussions.
The problem is universities brought in unconditional offers in order to attract students. Students are aware they do not have conditions to meet so become demotivated. It doesn't matter to the student but the schools are trying to protect their reputation league tables etc and if their students don't do so well their figures look bad.
The efforts of your teachers are taken more for the school's sake than yours but as said previously the worry for you is this could continue with major effects in University.
This is why so many people disapprove of unconditional offers
Reply 8
Original post by swansea jack 1
You should be aiming for maximum attendance for your own sake. However I cannot see how your school would withdraw you as they have already paid for these exams and if someone lost a university place over something like this the school could end up with legal repercussions.
The problem is universities brought in unconditional offers in order to attract students. Students are aware they do not have conditions to meet so become demotivated. It doesn't matter to the student but the schools are trying to protect their reputation league tables etc and if their students don't do so well their figures look bad.
The efforts of your teachers are taken more for the school's sake than yours but as said previously the worry for you is this could continue with major effects in University.
This is why so many people disapprove of unconditional offers

Schools don't want people to do badly in exams as it makes the school look bad. By not attending, the school doesn't know how well someone will do - and most of the time, students not attending means they have missed work and don't do as well. So schools do withdraw students, and it is something that comes up on TSR quite a bit.
Reply 9
Unis can withdraw any offer if they feel that your reference or grade predictions were false.

If, for example, you were predicted A*AAA and you ended up with DDDU, then the uni would probably review your application. If they felt that your reference or predicted grades had been deliberately overstated or artificially inflated (they would just have to think this, not to prove it) then they could withdraw any kind of offer as being based on fraudulent information.

Schools can withdraw you from A Levels for a range of reasons, including poor attendance. The criteria for this will be stated in your school handbook etc. A friend of mine had his son thrown out of school two months before his A Levels, for setting off the fire alarm as a prank. If you don't even sit the exams because the school withdraws you, then you will automatically fail to meet the uni's offer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Meegas

i was in a similar situation, as my school was quite far from home best thing to do is go to classes , most of the time they are useful , you dont wann take any unnecessary risks
Reply 11
Thanks guys.
I pretty much need to sort myself out. Since I posted I have missed just 1 day of school I think.
I really do not want this to become a habit as it will impact my uni performance.
I also do want to do my very best in my A Levels but at the same time I keep thinking it doesn't matter that much since I'd be happy at RH with my unconditional.
But as mentioned, since I am predicted AAA ending up with something like BCD would make me look like an idiot.
I just want sixth form to be over. Done 3 years, retaking year 12 once. Weather is getting so nice and it's making me not wanna work.
But yeah, last little push, get decent grades and be done with it :biggrin:
Original post by Meegas
Thanks guys.
I pretty much need to sort myself out. Since I posted I have missed just 1 day of school I think.
I really do not want this to become a habit as it will impact my uni performance.
I also do want to do my very best in my A Levels but at the same time I keep thinking it doesn't matter that much since I'd be happy at RH with my unconditional.
But as mentioned, since I am predicted AAA ending up with something like BCD would make me look like an idiot.
I just want sixth form to be over. Done 3 years, retaking year 12 once. Weather is getting so nice and it's making me not wanna work.
But yeah, last little push, get decent grades and be done with it :biggrin:

I am happy that you recieved an unconditional offer, and I do agree with the replies above.

Speaking from experience, I was like you during my A-level, and my attendance was even lower than you I believe. I did manage to get good results at the end. However, I would suggest you to make the most of your lectures and classes, and do your assignemnts when you start your course this year, even the most genius students will need to study and work on their studies during uni.

And also, low attendence may get you withdrawn from the uni, it has happened to people, so it's best not to get into a habit skipping lessons. ;D

Anyways, I wish you the best with your A-Level results and hope everything will go well. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
if it was felt at the Uni that your attendance was going to be low, they might withdraw a conditional
You are nearly an adult.
Do you only intend to turn up to work when you fancy it?

The uni want you to turn up and attend.
some courses but not all have attendance records.
fail to attend gets you a "meeting without coffee"

if a student drops out, the uni looses the cash income from the next year/future year fees
They want your money. They want people to turn up and do well. they don't want people who can't be arsed and stop other better candidates coming

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending