The Student Room Group

Are skinny people fat in the UK?

I'm just wondering generally it seems over there like clothes sizes are extremely small it seems. Like a size 6 in uk you can't be larger than a B cup it seems. I've always been above a size 6 and that's including when I'm 105 lbs because I'm a 32DD (37-24-34)-. I have to get down to a 32D to be able to fit that size and the only reason I can fit those sizes is because I got basically no hips or thighs to contend with. My measurements at that point are 36-23-33. Who really wears a size below a size 6 in the uk? So my question is are skinny people in america considered fat over there?

Scroll to see replies

And then at my heaviest I've been a size 14. While I was only 120 lbs. Isn't that like almost plus sized?
I literally have no clue what you're asking. "Are skinny people fat" ...wuut?

I'm in the UK.

When I'm 9 and a half stone I wear a size 10 and am completely in the middle of normal BMI.

When I'm 13 stone I wear a size 14/16 and am overweight.

I've never been a size 6. I should imagine I'd have to be underweight to get that low.

I'm 5'4" and a B cup.

I have zero clue if that answers your question because I'm still unsure about what the question is!
I would probably say that in general people in America are "fatter" than people in the UK and hence sizes would be different... From my experience anything I order from America is usually a size bigger than what I could consider that size, i.e. if I order a US small it seems like a UK medium to me.

http://www.infoplease.com/world/statistics/obesity.html

^as you can see the US is on the list but the UK is not :u:
Reply 4
You do know that US and UK dress sizes are different, don't you? In general you add 4 to the US size to get the UK one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Size 6 in the UK is size 2 in the US...

'Size zero' is size 4 in the UK...
Size 6 is thin and not fat.
Reply 7
Clothes sizes don't tend to account for bra size. Being a larger size doesn't mean you're not skinny, it's just about best fit- so it seems like two separate points? I'm around size 4/6, but my breast size is only around a B cup- if the clothes were made any differently then it wouldn't be a good fit. I don't really understand the point
If you're asking if we think skinny people are fat in the UK because their clothing size is a larger number than the answer is no....

In the US I remember there is/was a bit of an obsession with getting to size zero...? I haven't seen a widespread obsession with being a size 4 in the UK.

I generally think there's less fixation on clothing size as a "measurement of desirability" over here, but that might just be because I'm out of the loop. :dontknow:
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I literally have no clue what you're asking. "Are skinny people fat" ...wuut?

I'm in the UK.

When I'm 9 and a half stone I wear a size 10 and am completely in the middle of normal BMI.

When I'm 13 stone I wear a size 14/16 and am overweight.

I've never been a size 6. I should imagine I'd have to be underweight to get that low.

I'm 5'4" and a B cup.

I have zero clue if that answers your question because I'm still unsure about what the question is!

I'm like a little above 8.5 stones at the highest. Currently about 8 stones slightly less than that and am 5'1.5". Yeah mostly for me I have to be 7 stones to fit a size 6. I am usually called very small generally.
I think size 0 America is size 4 uk so size 6 is actually size 2, I wear a size 6-8 and 5,3 100ish pounds

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kieran1996
I would probably say that in general people in America are "fatter" than people in the UK and hence sizes would be different... From my experience anything I order from America is usually a size bigger than what I could consider that size, i.e. if I order a US small it seems like a UK medium to me.

http://www.infoplease.com/world/statistics/obesity.html

^as you can see the US is on the list but the UK is not :u:

I fit a small or extra small in some case in us sizing sometimes even medium or large depending what my bust is doing.

I just saw that someone said a 6 dress size and under is skinny anything below that is skinny and that above that was curvy. I am not usually called curvy even though I have a huge bust because outside of that I'm generally small in many clothing I can still look like I'm drowning in it due to the skinny arms and waistline etc.... That's why I was wondering like there is a size 10 considered curvy then?
1) USA an UK sizes are different.
2) I take a size 6/8 and my bra size is 32G so wut?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
If you're asking if we think skinny people are fat in the UK because their clothing size is a larger number than the answer is no....

In the US I remember there is/was a bit of an obsession with getting to size zero...? I haven't seen a widespread obsession with being a size 4 in the UK.

I generally think there's less fixation on clothing size as a "measurement of desirability" over here, but that might just be because I'm out of the loop. :dontknow:

oh so there is no size 0 or 2 in the uk? Then?

I thought it was because my mom fits size zeros better there than here.
That's why I thought people like my mom may be the norm as oppose to women like myself are considered curvy in comparison. I had a bunch of skinny friends when I was a teen and I was called the curvy one because I wasn't a B cup. So sometimes it has to do with perception. That's why I was wondering if like people in the uk were used to extra petit chicks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
If you're a US size 6 you would be considered unhealthily skinny in the UK.
Original post by Ezme39
Clothes sizes don't tend to account for bra size. Being a larger size doesn't mean you're not skinny, it's just about best fit- so it seems like two separate points? I'm around size 4/6, but my breast size is only around a B cup- if the clothes were made any differently then it wouldn't be a good fit. I don't really understand the point

I was using this calculator to see what size I needed to order it included my bust size.

http://www.calctool.org/CALC/other/home/dress_size
Original post by Tpos

A US 6 is a UK 10 which, afaik, isn't that skinny especially if the person is very short.
Original post by missytwinpeaks
1) USA an UK sizes are different.
2) I take a size 6/8 and my bra size is 32G so wut?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a size 6 in us sizing currently and a 32F. Uk sizing though a size 10 according to the calc. Which I thought I was size 4 in us dress sizes tbh...
Original post by Tpos

well a size 6 what I am now is actually. I have been smaller and comfortable within a healthy bmi. A size 6 is about a typical small. In us sizing Ive been a 2 even smaller than that when I was a teen. Never felt abnormal because I have a c cup no matter how skinny I get.
Quite right, the minute skinny people put their feet on the land they are now considered obese. In line with this policy, I have suggested deporting everyone to Italy, the walk there alone should solve the crisis.

Quick Reply

Latest