The Student Room Group

Recommend an online University

Hello,

I'm currently a legal headhunter working agency side with International firms, US Firms and Magic Circle firms from associate through to partner level. I do not currently have a degree, I'm the only person in my firm without a degree and I would like to pursue an LLB Law online in order to further my understanding of law for my clients and candidates benefit whilst also further enhancing my credibility.

This is not something that is essential for me to do and I have no intention of switching career following it, it's purely for my personal and professional development. I have already managed to successfully move overseas and gain a visa in my field of work due to experience gained to date.

Can anyone recommend an online law degree course that is from a respectable university? I was accepted for a Law degree online from a UK University but decided not to proceed as the University was very low ranked. I wont name them as I don't want to be controversial but they were in the bottom third in terms of rankings.

I can provide recommendations for my intellectual capability from Managing Partners at some of the biggest law firms in the world along with General Counsels at some of the most recognisable brands in the world as I have given advice on their strategies and growth plans for their practice areas and been mandated to headhunt staff for their firms which I carried out successfully.

If anyone can advise on the best and most accessible LLB Law Degrees to take online that would be greatly appreciated. I would like to cap my fees at around 6,000 GBP per year.
Original post by TheHeadhunter
Hello,

I'm currently a legal headhunter working agency side with International firms, US Firms and Magic Circle firms from associate through to partner level. I do not currently have a degree, I'm the only person in my firm without a degree and I would like to pursue an LLB Law online in order to further my understanding of law for my clients and candidates benefit whilst also further enhancing my credibility.

This is not something that is essential for me to do and I have no intention of switching career following it, it's purely for my personal and professional development. I have already managed to successfully move overseas and gain a visa in my field of work due to experience gained to date.

Can anyone recommend an online law degree course that is from a respectable university? I was accepted for a Law degree online from a UK University but decided not to proceed as the University was very low ranked. I wont name them as I don't want to be controversial but they were in the bottom third in terms of rankings.

I can provide recommendations for my intellectual capability from Managing Partners at some of the biggest law firms in the world along with General Counsels at some of the most recognisable brands in the world as I have given advice on their strategies and growth plans for their practice areas and been mandated to headhunt staff for their firms which I carried out successfully.

If anyone can advise on the best and most accessible LLB Law Degrees to take online that would be greatly appreciated. I would like to cap my fees at around 6,000 GBP per year.

There are really only two options. One is the Open University. Although it appears in some ranking lists, recruiters don't judge the OU by the standards of other universities and it has a universally positive perception at least so long as the degree is taken part-time along with work or family commitments. When taken full time, the graduate is more likely to be marked down as weird. The other is the University of London's International Programme.

Traditionally the difference between them was the level of support. The London programme was very much, do your own study and tell us when you want to sit the exam. There are learning resources now but there is still far less support than with the OU.

One relevant factor is that most people pass London degrees with thirds and pass degrees. 2:1s and firsts are virtually unheard of. That isn't surprising. It is marked to the same standard as the London colleges and it would be remarkable if a self -selecting group of mainly foreigners with no entrance requirements and no support were getting the same marks as the brightest and the best from UCL supported by top academics and brilliant library facilities.

Other than these some of the lower ranked universities have a toe in the water. Of these Derby is perhaps the best. It has no reputation for legal scholarship but does seem to punch above its weight in placing its ordinary full time law graduates. That doesn't really offer anything to you.

It wasn't clear to me whether you have moved to or from the UK. If you have moved to the UK look at doing a part-time degree with Birkbeck. That requires real presence but it is in central London and it teaches in the evening.
Original post by nulli tertius
There are really only two options. One is the Open University. Although it appears in some ranking lists, recruiters don't judge the OU by the standards of other universities and it has a universally positive perception at least so long as the degree is taken part-time along with work or family commitments. When taken full time, the graduate is more likely to be marked down as weird. The other is the University of London's International Programme.

Traditionally the difference between them was the level of support. The London programme was very much, do your own study and tell us when you want to sit the exam. There are learning resources now but there is still far less support than with the OU.

One relevant factor is that most people pass London degrees with thirds and pass degrees. 2:1s and firsts are virtually unheard of. That isn't surprising. It is marked to the same standard as the London colleges and it would be remarkable if a self -selecting group of mainly foreigners with no entrance requirements and no support were getting the same marks as the brightest and the best from UCL supported by top academics and brilliant library facilities.

Other than these some of the lower ranked universities have a toe in the water. Of these Derby is perhaps the best. It has no reputation for legal scholarship but does seem to punch above its weight in placing its ordinary full time law graduates. That doesn't really offer anything to you.

It wasn't clear to me whether you have moved to or from the UK. If you have moved to the UK look at doing a part-time degree with Birkbeck. That requires real presence but it is in central London and it teaches in the evening.

Thanks for the response. As a recruiter myself I know that most of the reputable law firms do not hold the OU Law degrees in high regard.

What are your thoughts on the University of London? Do you know how it is regarded? I have never come across anyone with a law degree from there but was looking at it myself. I see LSE and KCL fall under the banner which are held in good regard but I really don't know what sort of regard UoL would be held.

I have looked at Derby who don't seem to be doing an LLB Law, RGU who do an online LLB Law ( http://www.rgu.ac.uk/law/study-options/distance-and-flexible-learning/law-llb-online-/ ) and Essex ( http://online.essex.ac.uk/online-degrees/llb-(hons)-law ).

Any views on the best University from those mentioned would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I should have mentioned - I have moved out of the UK.
Reply 4
Original post by TheHeadhunter
Hello,

BPP has a distance learning LLB programme.

Quick Reply