The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
hey guys,

I know this has already been mentioned, but i have done a few past papers to see what the questions are like and have never seen anything come up that is as hard as those "teacher forum" questions, all the questions regardless of the pre - release topic are going to be on the course, because its a synoptic (and therefore overall course) exam, not an exam totally on like degree level entropy equations that we have never done in class!! Well, thats what im hoping neway!! (otherwise im dead):eek:

Saying that, for all the other years, the pre release has actually been on an "advance in physics" , i.e, a new method to look deeper into space, or a new advance such as a train that runs on magnets, but i dont seem to see what this case study is on about, its more history of steam engines opposed to new advances, really thrown me? :s-smilie:

Hit me back and let me know what you think?

Cheers

SAS
Right after going through the chapters I've listed most of the equations that aren't given in the formula booklet, I'll post them uphere just in case anyone wants to have a look but I just have a query about a few...

Linear magnification (m) = v/u
Power of lens = 1/f
sin C = 1/n
emf = E/Q (Is this a correct equation? And how likely is it to come up as I can't remember using it in AS at all)
F= - GMm/r^2
g= - GM/r^2
As with electric field, does the gravitational potential energy = GMm/r^2?
pV=NkT=nRT
U=3NkT/2
Faraday's law
E=F/Q=V/d
F = KQq/r^2
Electrical field around a point charge = kq/r^2
Electrical potential energy = Kqq/r
W=qV (van de graff accelerator, won't be needing this right?)
De Broglie Wavelength = h/p

Also, I think it might be worth learning some of the less well-known units, so far I've got down...

Conductance - Siemens
Power of Lens - dioptres
Flux - Weber
Flux density - Tesla
Absorbed Dose - Gray
Dose equivalent - Sievert

Any equations or units that you guys think may be worth remembering?

Having looked at everything I'm quite pleased Boltzmann factor will be coming up, it's one of the easier chapters. Just hope they concentrate on A2 chapters.
Reply 82
good post mate, looks fairly useful,

just a quick question on SHM, as im guessin it might come up, when do u have to have ure calculator in Rads and when in degrees, coz i remember not remebering when i did r&f!?

Cheers
mikejones
I see. What are you going to spend the morning before the exam doing then?

I'm not sure, if there's any bits and pieces of past papers I can salvage I might do them, if not I'm thinking sleep :biggrin:

sas88
hey guys,

I know this has already been mentioned, but i have done a few past papers to see what the questions are like and have never seen anything come up that is as hard as those "teacher forum" questions, all the questions regardless of the pre - release topic are going to be on the course, because its a synoptic (and therefore overall course) exam, not an exam totally on like degree level entropy equations that we have never done in class!! Well, thats what im hoping neway!! (otherwise im dead)

Saying that, for all the other years, the pre release has actually been on an "advance in physics" , i.e, a new method to look deeper into space, or a new advance such as a train that runs on magnets, but i dont seem to see what this case study is on about, its more history of steam engines opposed to new advances, really thrown me?

Hit me back and let me know what you think?

Cheers

SAS

Yeah, those teachers questions are just there to give a just of the topics. Never looked at the other pre release material myself so I don't really know what I should have expected so I'm cool with this one, it's relatively simple and easy to understand.
Reply 84
It's E = QV/2

And Lambda = h/p is in the formula book
Reply 85
Does anyone have the markscheme for this paper from June 2006?

EDIT: nvm found it
Reply 86
Yeah i know but in comparison its just a bit weird, like before its just been straight forward course related prerelease, this ones a bit weird and initially is harder to pick out relevant course "topics" have to wait and see i guess - suppose they can ask us on anything not on the course or stated in the pre-release ?
Tazman123
Right after going through the chapters I've listed most of the equations that aren't given in the formula booklet, I'll post them uphere just in case anyone wants to have a look but I just have a query about a few...

Linear magnification (m) = v/u
Power of lens = 1/f
sin C = 1/n
F= - GMm/r^2
g= - GM/r^2
As with electric field, does the gravitational potential energy = GMm/r^2?
pV=NkT=nRT
U=3NkT/2
Faraday's law
E=F/Q=V/d
F = KQq/r^2
Electrical field around a point charge = kq/r^2
Electrical potential energy = Kqq/r
W=qV (van de graff accelerator, won't be needing this right?)

Also, I think it might be worth learning some of the less well-known units, so far I've got down...

Conductance - Siemens
Power of Lens - dioptres
Flux - Weber
Flux density - Tesla
Absorbed Dose - Gray
Dose equivalent - Sievert

Any equations or units that you guys think may be worth remembering?

Having looked at everything I'm quite pleased Boltzmann factor will be coming up, it's one of the easier chapters. Just hope they concentrate on A2 chapters.

Edited for accuracy.
Reply 88
how do i convert between:

joules, electron volts, and joules per mole?

:wtf?:
Reply 89
anyone know the answer to my SHM question? :P

erm, i think when its eV -> Joules u multiply by electron charge (opposite if other way round

And Jmol-1 --> Joules per patricle then divide by Avagadro's no, (particles per mole)

think neway mate
Joules/1.6x10^-19 (e) = eV
Joules/moles= J/mol
Reply 91
sas88
anyone know the answer to my SHM question? :P

erm, i think when its eV -> Joules u multiply by electron charge (opposite if other way round

And Jmol-1 --> Joules per patricle then divide by Avagadro's no, (particles per mole)

think neway mate

cheers. Havent got a clue with the SHM question though :redface: Anyone?

To tazman or anyone else planning on *maybe* going through past papers (lol):
Are you going through section B's from this exam? or actual past papers from other exams?
Section B's, doubt I have the willpower to be doing those other papers. I've got 7 section B's to go through which should see me out till exam time.
Reply 93
tazman? any suggestions with the SHM thing?
Reply 94
ah, sounds reasonable enough.

Anyone got their pre-release handy?

1)how is energy actually produced, in the engingine in figure 1?
2)what is work done in relation to this diagram?
3)is there any theory behind efficiency we need to know?
I have no idea what SMH stands for :biggrin:
mikejones
ah, sounds reasonable enough.

Anyone got their pre-release handy?

1)how is energy actually produced, in the engingine in figure 1?
2)what is work done in relation to this diagram?
3)is there any theory behind efficiency we need to know?

1) Heat is produced which is partly turned into useful work.
2) just the fraction which says 'useful work', are you looking for it in terms of the actual steam engine? I'd guess it would go towards working the engine.
3) Just the equation they've given us.
Reply 97
some simple harmonic motion stuff i have covered is:

F = kx (spring), E = ½kx²

a = -w²r

T = 2pi (m/k)^½

T = 2pi/w

(sorry if its hard to understand, i couldnt find some of the symbols to use)

are there any other SHM equations worth learning?

also what kind of stuff do we need to know about hubble time?
Reply 98
sas88
good post mate, looks fairly useful,

just a quick question on SHM, as im guessin it might come up, when do u have to have ure calculator in Rads and when in degrees, coz i remember not remebering when i did r&f!?

Cheers
It should tell you, I believe.
Reply 99
Nice one Taz. Also, am i correct in assuming we use kelvins whenever we use temperature in an equation?

Latest