The Student Room Group

Spoiling your ballot is the stupidest thing

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gladders
I think, given the small numbers that do this right now, sure, it's ignorable; but if those who currently abstain did this, they would be a huge number, likely liable to outnumber many candidates or even come top of the poll!

Formally, it would make no difference, but politically such a thing would be an enormously powerful message and it would put considerable pressure on Parliament to do something about it.

Sure, but then the opposition sees the massive number of people who didn't pick a candidate and then by the next election changes their policies to appeal to that massive number of people.
The winning party would too, to avoid losing their power to the opposition. More representation for the people is the outcome.
I know so stupid all that happens is the people counting then open it roll their eyes and go meh goon... And rip it up.
Original post by JordanL_
Why would that encourage them to change things? They won because all of these people didn't vote for a party. It gives them every reason not to change things, the current system works perfectly for them.

because the more obvious that it is that the prime minister of a nation isn't supported by a majority of the people, the more likely, over time, it will be that electoral reform will be brought in. and that's bearing in mind that the support for the governing party will perpetually decrease (as this is generally the trend in our nation's politics; supportt for onee of the two biggest parties in the 50s, for exam, would usually be 55-60%, now it's 35-40%) and the more illegitimacy that a government receives from the voters, the more pressure will be put on them to change the system imo
Original post by BubbleBoobies
because the more obvious that it is that the prime minister of a nation isn't supported by a majority of the people, the more likely, over time, it will be that electoral reform will be brought in. and that's bearing in mind that the support for the governing party will perpetually decrease (as this is generally the trend in our nation's politics; supportt for onee of the two biggest parties in the 50s, for exam, would usually be 55-60%, now it's 35-40%) and the more illegitimacy that a government receives from the voters, the more pressure will be put on them to change the system imo

Electoral reform has to be brought in by the government. If the government benefits from the current system, they wouldn't reform it. They don't care how you feel, they only care that they win the election. If everyone that dislikes them stops voting, they're going to win the election.
Original post by Zargabaath
Sure, but then the opposition sees the massive number of people who didn't pick a candidate and then by the next election changes their policies to appeal to that massive number of people.
The winning party would too, to avoid losing their power to the opposition. More representation for the people is the outcome.

That sounds like a good thing, doesn't it?
I'd say no, mainly because of the reasons Saiorse said...

Also, if someone comes and complains to me about the outcome of a vote, I'll ask if they voted. If they say no, then I'll them to **** off, stop complaining, and actually vote next time. If they say, either voting for someone, or spoiling their ballot, then I will listen to their complaints because they bothered to at least make a conscious decision about it...
I'd spoil my ballot because I feel I haven't got a voice. In my opinion the government are falling short on so many things, and I just don't have any faith in our electoral system because it'll always be either Labour or Conservatives in power. I don't feel any of the parties represent me, especially the two main ones. If I was to vote for the party with policies closest to what I want, they still wont come into power so what's the point? Spoiling my ballot would act as a small rebellion because the system just doesn't work and it'll show my discontent to it. I hope more and more young people will do the same, and so if more and more of us spoil our ballots, it'll say something quite significant. I know spoiling my ballot wont change things now, but it may change things in the future as more people die and we become the significant chunk of voters. I'd like to see a candidate in a general election who didn't go to Eton and Oxford, who isn't some stuck up posh boy who has been groomed to be PM. Once that happens, and they have decent ideas, then I'll vote properly.
Original post by jackdiamond24
I'd spoil my ballot because I feel I haven't got a voice. In my opinion the government are falling short on so many things, and I just don't have any faith in our electoral system because it'll always be either Labour or Conservatives in power. I don't feel any of the parties represent me, especially the two main ones. If I was to vote for the party with policies closest to what I want, they still wont come into power so what's the point? Spoiling my ballot would act as a small rebellion because the system just doesn't work and it'll show my discontent to it. I hope more and more young people will do the same, and so if more and more of us spoil our ballots, it'll say something quite significant. I know spoiling my ballot wont change things now, but it may change things in the future as more people die and we become the significant chunk of voters. I'd like to see a candidate in a general election who didn't go to Eton and Oxford, who isn't some stuck up posh boy who has been groomed to be PM. Once that happens, and they have decent ideas, then I'll vote properly.

It'll always be Labour or Conservatives in power if you spoil your ballot instead of voting for the party that you want to win. If everyone with this attitude just took responsibility for themselves and voted, we'd have a very different system.

As for your last statement, Natalie Bennett, Tim Farron, Jeremy Corbyn and Nigel Farage aren't posh and didn't go to Eton or Oxford. Between them their ideas cover most of the political spectrum.
It'll always be Labour or Conservatives in power if you spoil your ballot instead of voting for the party that you want to win. If everyone with this attitude just took responsibility for themselves and voted, we'd have a very different system.

As for your last statement, Natalie Bennett, Tim Farron, Jeremy Corbyn and Nigel Farage aren't posh and didn't go to Eton or Oxford. Between them their ideas cover most of the political spectrum.

Okay fine but my point is that there is no party that I want to win, I'm not going to vote for the party that I least dislike it's just stupid.
Original post by jackdiamond24
Okay fine but my point is that there is no party that I want to win, I'm not going to vote for the party that I least dislike it's just stupid.

How is that stupid? If you don't vote for the party you least dislike, you're giving the ones you most dislike the chance to win.

There will NEVER be a party that you support 100% unless you start your own. What solution would you propose?
How is that stupid? If you don't vote for the party you least dislike, you're giving the ones you most dislike the chance to win.

There will NEVER be a party that you support 100% unless you start your own. What solution would you propose?

I'm not much into politics but I think there should be votes on all major matters in the country. I know that would cost a lot of money and all, but if we were able to vote on all of the things we agree/disagree with it could be more fair and the little man would always get his say. It seems as though there are loads of problems that many people want to deal with, but people in the government always seem to get the final decision, which from what I know is not democracy.
Original post by gladders
That sounds like a good thing, doesn't it?

I think so
I had three polls to vote in. Two I held an opinion to vote in, the other I did not. Therefore I spoiled that last ballot to avoid voting based on a lack of information.

At least it's actually expressing an opinion - even if that opinion is a lack of opinion.
Original post by BubbleBoobies
surely it would be a sign of major disbelief in the electoral system and humiliate politicians if their party only just won in an area over the "none of the above" option? surely that would encourage them to do better or to change things?

Yeah, exactly. I also think it would increase voter turnout - I'm sure plenty of people stay home in part because they don't want to vote for any of the candidates.
Electoral reform has to be brought in by the government. If the government benefits from the current system, they wouldn't reform it. They don't care how you feel, they only care that they win the election. If everyone that dislikes them stops voting, they're going to win the election.

our governments aren't totalitarian though. they're constrained by image. image will affect the voters if not the non-voters. you can't seriously claim that a government won't change at all if their legitimacy decreases over time, or else why has democratic reform taken place at all in UK history?
Why do people do this? Do you think the winner of the election is going to say "damn, look at all those spoiled ballots - I guess people are unhappy! I'll stand down and we'll have another election"? Or what? What's the point?

You're worse than people who don't vote, because you're actually taking the time and effort to go to the polling station and say "I'M NOT VOTING".

My response would be pretty much this:

Original post by Saoirse:3
For me, I'd spoil my ballot if I didn't at all approve of any of the candidates. It shows that you are a voter, you aren't apathetic but you are disgruntled with the choices available - it gives potential future candidate more of an incentive to canvass your support if you clearly will bother voting if there's a good option on the table.

If you just don't vote, then you can't really distinguish between those who care about politics but don't support any of the options, and those who just don't care and/or are lazy.

If you spoil your ballot, that clearly says "I care about politics but none of you are good enough" - you took the time to register and then go to a polling station just to do that. But If you just don't bother, you can easily be lumped in with the lazy and apathetic.
I'd rather have a "none of the above" option or, like in my university's SU elections "re-open nominations".
Original post by otester
Spoiling a ballot is childish.

Pick a candidate or stand yourself, no excuse.

What rubbish. I'm a 19 year old student with almost no experience in the "real world" of work or with public speaking. The idea of someone like me standing in an election is completely ridiculous.

And one who did do exactly that, that SNP one Mhairi Black, has still faced all sorts of criticism because of her being so young, at the same time as people moan about young people not being involved in politics. So you just can't win.

I am not going to vote for a party or candidate I do not support just for the sake of voting. That's just a stupid thing to do, and if you do that, then you have very clearly wasted your vote.
It shows that you still turn up but don't care for the election or any of the candidates. I do it from the PCC elections.
Why do people do this? Do you think the winner of the election is going to say "damn, look at all those spoiled ballots - I guess people are unhappy! I'll stand down and we'll have another election"? Or what? What's the point?

You're worse than people who don't vote, because you're actually taking the time and effort to go to the polling station and say "I'M NOT VOTING".[/QUOTE]
Yes, that's the point in many cases. You're taking the time to show you're willing to engage with the system but don't want to vote for any of the candidates. Staying at home in protest is indistinguishable from apathy. Having said that, I didn't vote yesterday because I had an awful blister on my foot and couldn't walk to the polling station. I was going to spoil my ballot by voting for none because I didn't want to vote for any party political candidates in the PCC election, and the choices were Con, Lab, LD and UKIP - none of which I like anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending