The Student Room Group

How to get into investment banking through an Access to HE course?

(edited 6 years ago)
I thought you said you wanted to be a professor or something last time you made a thread like this?
I thought your aim was to obtain a PhD in Psychology?

If you're not trolling then look at the entry requirements for the universities mentioned above. I know that King's accept Access Courses for CompSci so I imagine it'll be the same for business related courses. Manchester want Access combined with A-level Maths for CompSci and Engineering courses but their Economics course accepts Access only.

AFAIK an Access Course is just an Access Course, what matters is the subject(s) taught not where you do it.
Original post by Wisefire
Lol, well I'm massively contemplating what the hell I do from where I am right now... I'm ridiculously lonely and empty at this moment. I've gone through an extreme amount I don't quite know how I move on from. I have literally nothing and no one atm, right down to how I lost myself my old name, changing it, committing huge social suicide starting afresh. These things are irrelevant to this thread though ha...

I can do anything with my life. I just want to eventually have a good social and sex life, and to not feel like a 'salary slave', to be in a lower down cog of a job, like a lower or middle office job. I want to be doing meaningful, significant work. I want to become well educated. I keep shifting thoughts now between wanting to do Business/Finance to go into the City, or wanting to avoid a rat race such as that and to go after a PhD, in a subject I enjoy... I kind of want both things.

I don't know if Psychology (referring to my previous thread) is something I'm truly interested in tbh, and if I do Business or Finance it'd open many good doors potentially, though then again maths is not a strength of mine... I might as well do Business/Finance and go after PG study in it over time. Besides, I do have some interest in Business.

You need to take things 1 step at a time, but still keep a general long term plan and goal.

Lots of people dream about doing PhDs or about working in a high paying job in the City, but very few people actually accomplish these things. Hard work and also luck are big factors.

Remember, the target unis for investment banking are Oxbridge, LSE, ICL, UCL, and Warwick. You can basically study any subject at one of these universities and will be in a good position when applying to investment banks.
Well I believe there's no such thing as 'luck'. I think you just 'make your own luck', by making good or smart decisions lol. I changed my name fully to be more lucky. You make luck about yourself.

Yeah of course, I see. Getting into a target university is tough. I had offers from Manchester and Nottingham for Accounting & Finance last year and I didn't take it as I thought they'd get me nowehere. I was incredibly wrong and misguided. I'd be very happy to get to a university like Manchester or Durham for Finance.

You are lucky to live in a developed first world country, and to have made it to 19 years old without starving or dying of disease.
Could always self teach a levels (what I'm doing currently) or find a centre that does them in a year (I'm sure kingsway does).

Personally, I feel you're overthinking things too much and that's why you've lost focus. It's great to have long term goals but be wary about achieving near term goals that will facilitate your long term objectives. So really, what's best is to stop with the career deliberation and find a solution to your problem (not having the qualifications for uni).

Posted from TSR Mobile
i recognise your username, you made some incredibly pretentious and demeaning posts iirc. glad you found some moral resolve

I just want to eventually have a good social and sex life, and to not feel like a 'salary slave'

would really discourage banking if this is your thinking.. we are basically just that

quoting wise words from my VP "you're the monkey", where we work ridicolous hours pretty much just following orders.. and a social life outside of the industry gl

haven't got any advice other than do things that make you happy.. money isn't everything - just a medium of exchange for worldly goods and services. personally i think relationships (family/friends/spouses) stand at the forefront of what people 'should' imo be aiming for.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anonwinner
You are lucky to live in a developed first world country, and to have made it to 19 years old without starving or dying of disease.

lol wtf
Original post by gr8wizard10
i recognise your username, you made some incredibly pretentious and demeaning posts iirc. glad you found some moral resolve

would really discourage banking if this is your thinking.. we are basically just that

quoting wise words from my VP "you're the monkey", where we work ridicolous hours pretty much just following orders.. and a social life outside of the industry gl

haven't got any advice other than do things that make you happy.. money isn't everything - just a medium of exchange for worldly goods and services. personally i think relationships (family/friends/spouses) stand at the forefront of what people 'should' imo be aiming for.

son do you remember what you used to say 2 years ago? :biggrin:
Reply 9
Get accepted into a degree first, then worry about what kind of job you want. Computer science could be a good option for you too.
don't think they care whether you did a levels or equivalents or access courses, friend of mine got a BB summer offer from an access course

Just leave out the AS levels from your CV and replace it with the access course you do
Original post by welcometoib
son do you remember what you used to say 2 years ago? :biggrin:

i won't be aiming for them, but i think people should consider that. i'm a complete sociopath lost in life

whatsapp me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending