The Student Room Group

How do I get back into college?

I left college after AS Levels to join the Army, but tore a ligament in my knee and discharged - no colleges seem to want to take me as a result! What can I do? Will I have to pay? I turn 18 in a few weeks
Original post by AdamD1998
I left college after AS Levels to join the Army, but tore a ligament in my knee and discharged - no colleges seem to want to take me as a result! What can I do? Will I have to pay? I turn 18 in a few weeks

hey :smile: I hope your knee gets better soon.
There is no reason why colleges should not accept you otherwise they're discriminating against you. As long as you've met the entry requirements for the college and your preferred A Level subjects they should allow you in (depending on the college etc) The college should feel privileged to have you :wink: You should be eligible free education up till the age of 19. Have you tried any further education colleges? Most FE colleges should be v. good with any students. You will only have to pay if you enter as a private candidate at a exam center (not sure on these btw but home schooled friend says they're VERY expensive). If you really can't find anywhere that will accept you, you could self teach? If nowhere will accept you take it further like parental support, LEA (local education authority), council, etc.
I should add, you should apply now, as this is around the time, when colleges start receiving applications, and giving interviews to prospective students.
They should take you on. I don't know where you are from but education is free for people in the UK who are 19 or younger. What colleges have you tried? Did they say why they won't accept you? Have you tried a community college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by bizzy_penguin
I should add, you should apply now, as this is around the time, when colleges start receiving applications, and giving interviews to prospective students.

No it's not. Its actually the time where they've stopped taking applications...However OP can still apply through clearing, as any applications made at this point would automatically go there.
Original post by Dann.It
No it's not. Its actually the time where they've stopped taking applications...However OP can still apply through clearing, as any applications made at this point would automatically go there.

Doesn't it depend on where in the UK you are? in my area FE colleges are still allowing applications (just done mine), 6th forms may be different...
Original post by AdamD1998

What reasons have they given for rejecting your application?

As A levels are being reformed with new specifications it is unlikely you can pick up from the AS you have completed and so are facing a 2 year course with new A levels. Inevitably this means you will be over 19 when you complete and this may have implications for funding your study. Any college should be willing to clarify your position to you and explain their reasons for rejecting your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest