The Student Room Group

PGCE - what else can you do with it (other than teaching)?

I'm currently studying my secondary PGCE (English) and to be honest the experience has totally put me off, and I can't even stomach the thought of applying for my NQT year next year. I have lost my passion for the subject and even with only 6 weeks left of the course I feel inexperienced and inadequate as a classroom teacher. That said, I have never quit anything in my life, so fully intent to see the rest of the course through, I'm just totally lost about what to do next year.

I've worked as a tutor before and loved the one-on-one time you get with kids. I've also worked in a secure children's unit as a teacher (placement) and loved that too, but you have to have a minimum of 3 years teaching experience to teach in a place like that. Has anyone got any advice?

I was considering doing a year's supply work and then doing my NQT year, would my NQT year then count as a 2nd year's experience? What else can you do with a PGCE qualification? Teaching abroad isn't really an option unfortunately and I'm worried about how limited a career tutoring might be. I'm still young but I want to be in a career where I have prospects.

Other info that might be relevant: I have a 2:1 degree in English Literature, studied Psychology and both English subjects (Language and Literature) at A Level and have a wide range of GCSEs. I've worked as a swimming teacher (unqualified) and lifeguard, and am also currently employed as a support worker for a private company that work alongside social services to provide support for vulnerable youths. I'm a committe member, photographer & social media manager for a small fundraising group for animal welfare (with a focus on huskies and Northern Breeds). I also have experience writing creatively in a variety of styles including novel, poetry and journalistic. Not sure if the extra info might help with suggestions?

Thanks for any help!
How do you have time to be a support worker, committee member, and social media manager whilst doing your PGCE?
It's just overload.
Sounds like you would like to be a teacher at the end and thus NQT will come sooner or later. Other possibility would be to stay in academia (top-up Master?) in case you feel university is something you like and you need still time to develop as a person. In case you are overworked, you should just take a break or work in a less demanding job for some time, but without all the work alongside. Just concentrate on developing the skills you need to be confident in a class room.
Original post by NicciM
I'm currently studying my secondary PGCE (English) and to be honest the experience has totally put me off, and I can't even stomach the thought of applying for my NQT year next year. I have lost my passion for the subject and even with only 6 weeks left of the course I feel inexperienced and inadequate as a classroom teacher. That said, I have never quit anything in my life, so fully intent to see the rest of the course through, I'm just totally lost about what to do next year.

I've worked as a tutor before and loved the one-on-one time you get with kids. I've also worked in a secure children's unit as a teacher (placement) and loved that too, but you have to have a minimum of 3 years teaching experience to teach in a place like that. Has anyone got any advice?

I was considering doing a year's supply work and then doing my NQT year, would my NQT year then count as a 2nd year's experience? What else can you do with a PGCE qualification? Teaching abroad isn't really an option unfortunately and I'm worried about how limited a career tutoring might be. I'm still young but I want to be in a career where I have prospects.

Other info that might be relevant: I have a 2:1 degree in English Literature, studied Psychology and both English subjects (Language and Literature) at A Level and have a wide range of GCSEs. I've worked as a swimming teacher (unqualified) and lifeguard, and am also currently employed as a support worker for a private company that work alongside social services to provide support for vulnerable youths. I'm a committe member, photographer & social media manager for a small fundraising group for animal welfare (with a focus on huskies and Northern Breeds). I also have experience writing creatively in a variety of styles including novel, poetry and journalistic. Not sure if the extra info might help with suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

Hi Nicci,

You sound like a person with wide interests and a lot of drive, and I wanted to throw the idea out there that perhaps tutoring could form part of a portfolio career for you that also included your other interests and skills (animal welfare, journalism, photography). Many high-caliber graduates are choosing to become tutors because it offers them flexible, well-paid academic teaching work. Many of our tutors on The Tutor Pages are also successful authors, artists, actors, musicians and journalists.

In terms of career progression, tutoring has more options than you might think (you could go on to run a franchise along the lines of Magicats, be employed to run a centre by Bright Young Things, or manage an independent tuition centre).

Only you can decide whether a future teaching in schools is right for you. Think about what it is you really enjoy about teaching, and whether classroom teaching will offer you that. Use the old Tony Robbins trick of imagining yourself in five years time down a certain path... are you happy? Are you on this path because it's the 'sensible' option? Take some time to fully consider where you are going, and try to ignore the external or internal voices telling you what you should be doing.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
As someone who has completed their PGCE and been teaching for a few years, I'm curious to know what you decided to do? I am thinking of a career change and wondered if you chose a different route instead of teaching?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending