The Student Room Group

N5 Geography Exam Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by (bryn)

by the ABC question, do you mean the one where you were given a black and white photograph?
i just identified the sort of "spit" things near the docks and used that to place everything else, because it was the most distinctive feature
as for the u-shaped valley, i couldn't remember the model answer for it, so i started off doing it like the model answer for a corrie ("snow collected high up in the mountains and was gradually compressed into ice (the start of the ice age). this ice was then forced down the mountain...":wink:, but instead of talking about the hollow, i talked about what would happen if it entered the v-shaped valley, e.g. plucking and abrasion, sides become steeper, floor becomes flat, at the end of the ice age you're sometimes left with a misfit stream/ribbon lake, etc

Both ABC questions, the OS map one and the aerial picture of Sunderland kinda threw me, I got them eventually but when I first saw them I just thought "Huh?" And I wrote the same ideas as you when it came to the U-Shaped valley, based my answer on corrie formation but made it relevant to a V-shaped valley with plucking, abrasion, downwards force of glacier etc. :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by jj1814
I picked Y, I'm regretting it now. I had X for the whole exam then in the last second changed. I did it because the cold front was coming in from the north but I really don't know.

I think as long as you had good descriptive points and genuine reasons for picking Y they might let you away with a few marks. You never know though, Y might be the right answer, we won't know for sure until the marking scheme is published.
Reply 22
What did you guys put for Q7? I wasn't too sure so I just listed loads of things. And what about Q3?
Reply 23
Original post by Maria200
What did you guys put for Q7? I wasn't too sure so I just listed loads of things. And what about Q3?

Q7 I did exactly what you did, I just wrote down everything that was popping up in my head at the time. Mosly I wrote about how healthcare is improving and how medical advancements mean more and more cures for diseases are being found. I think I also wrote about health campaigns educating and raising awareness about proper sanitation and birth control. And how diets are better and people are eating healthier and exercising more.

Q3 threw me a little, I think I put:
A - A4059 (I think that was the road name)
B- Afon Melte River
C - Conferous woodland
What I put above might not be right so don't take it too seriously. :smile:
Reply 24
Yeah, I put similar things to what you up. I put things like educating people about diseases as well but I'm not too sure if that's okay.

For Q3, I put:
A-Coniferous wood
B- Minor road
C-Afon Melte (river)
I'm not sure if that's right but it went from X to Y so I just followed the line.
Reply 25
For Q6 I got:

A-Museum
B-Ayres Quay
C-Docks

Is that right?
Reply 26
For Q6 I got:

A-Museum
B-Ayres Quay
C-Docks

Is that right?

Exactly what I got :smile: I think I've completely messed up Q3 though
:bawling:
Yeah, I put similar things to what you up. I put things like educating people about diseases as well but I'm not too sure if that's okay.

For Q3, I put:
A-Coniferous wood
B- Minor road
C-Afon Melte (river)
I'm not sure if that's right but it went from X to Y so I just followed the line.

Pretty sure I did the same for Q3
Reply 28
Well good luck on all your nat 5 geo results :smile: So nostalgic :biggrin:
Reply 29
Original post by ___Sophie___
Pretty sure I did the same for Q3

That's great! I think that it will probably be right.
Did you chose Q1 or Q2? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
That's great! I think that it will probably be right.
Did you chose Q1 or Q2? :smile:

Q1, it was pretty easy. Which one did you choose?
Reply 31
Original post by ___Sophie___
Q1, it was pretty easy. Which one did you choose?

Yeah same. I was glad that the formation of a U-shaped valley came up because my teacher predicted it. 1a) was really straight forward. How did you find the paper overall?
Yeah same. I was glad that the formation of a U-shaped valley came up because my teacher predicted it. 1a) was really straight forward. How did you find the paper overall?

I'm pretty happy with how it went. Although I'm annoyed that things like coastal, conflict of land use and shanty towns never came up as I studied those. A lot of the paper involved using the maps which was unusual. But on the whole it wasn't too difficult :smile:
Reply 33
The count our question for (I think Q3) was solid. I put -
A: Forest
B: River
C: minor road
I'm not sure about the C but I think the other two were correct. I think the paper was as hard as it could've been but all in all was pretty straight forward. Can't believe I read the question on death rates wrong (I though it said birth rates😭) but apart from those 6 marks that I've lost I think I got close to 100% everywhere else.
I accidentally read the tundra question as the rainforest. Silly,stupid on my behalf. I slipped on the u-shaped valley but I mentioned something about a large glacier and a smaller tributary glacier. Do you think i'll still get at least one mark?
Reply 35
Original post by Alma Yelnam
I accidentally read the tundra question as the rainforest. Silly,stupid on my behalf. I slipped on the u-shaped valley but I mentioned something about a large glacier and a smaller tributary glacier. Do you think i'll still get at least one mark?

I hadn't revised the tundra that much so I just guessed and used the rainforest ones I could remember just in case any of them applied :redface:

I wrote a helluva lot for Q7, I was literally laughing at what I was coming up with. I hope they don't take marks off for that :s-smilie: I'm pretty sure it does say "any other valid reason" on the marking instructions :colondollar:

I'm terrible with formations (plus I had the Beyoncé song stuck in my head the full exam :colondollar:). I hope I can at least get some marks for mentioning it was a v-shaped valley before the ice age and it steepened and stuff
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending