The Student Room Group

N5 Geography Exam Thread!

Hey there!
I've opened this thread in preparation for tomorrow's exams, I want to know what your thoughts are. Excited? Nervous? Confident? You could also tell me what parts of the course you are studying. I'm doing glaciated uplands, costal landscapes, climate change and health. Let me hear your thoughts! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I did Geography last year with the same topics. Just write in lots of detail and youll be fine :smile: Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by student3005
I did Geography last year with the same topics. Just write in lots of detail and youll be fine :smile: Good luck!

Thank you :smile: I'll admit I'm a little nervous, it's not my strongest subject. But thanks for the reply!
I'm feeling quite confident :smile:
We're doing the same topics.
Going to look over ordinance survey tonight as well as coastal feature diagrams which I hate and then everything hopefully will go well :smile:
Original post by SSJBlue
Thank you :smile: I'll admit I'm a little nervous, it's not my strongest subject. But thanks for the reply!

Also make sure you know the difference between describe, explain and give reasons because lots of people who don't know the difference lose marks :smile:
Reply 5
i'm pretty confident about this (i got 38/40 in the prelim, and i still remember all of the stuff)
my teacher and i predict that the environmental hazards question will be on tropical storms, which isn't great because, imo, earthquakes and volcanoes are a lot easier, and there is more to learn for hurricane katrina than for mt st helens and the japan 2011 earthquake

other than climate change, i've done the same topics as you guys
for health, we've learned about AIDS as an example of a disease in both developing and developed countries, cholera as an example for a developing, and heart disease for developed, although i also happen to be knowledgeable on pneumonia as i did it for my assignment, which i got full marks on, but i was at sort of an advantage (?) because i actually had pneumonia in february last year and missed a whole month of school (during which we were studying health)

the bit i'm most worried about tbh is learning the properties of each of the air masses affecting the UK
Reply 6
Original post by ___Sophie___
Also make sure you know the difference between describe, explain and give reasons because lots of people who don't know the difference lose marks :smile:

You sound like you know what you're doing, good luck! :smile: And thank you for the advice, I have some experience with describe and explain as we have to differentiate between the two in my Bus man course alot haha
Reply 7
Original post by (bryn)
i'm pretty confident about this (i got 38/40 in the prelim, and i still remember all of the stuff)
my teacher and i predict that the environmental hazards question will be on tropical storms, which isn't great because, imo, earthquakes and volcanoes are a lot easier, and there is more to learn for hurricane katrina than for mt st helens and the japan 2011 earthquake

for health, we've learned about AIDS as an example of a disease in both developing and developed countries, cholera as an example for a developing, and heart disease for developed, although i also happen to be knowledgeable on pneumonia as i did it for my assignment, which i got full marks on, but i was at sort of an advantage (?) because i actually had pneumonia in february last year and missed a whole month of school (during which we were studying health)

the bit i'm most worried about tbh is learning the properties of each of the air masses affecting the UK

Wow 38/40 and full marks on the assignment, fantastic well done :smile: There is a simple formula I stick to when it comes to air masses
Continental: Dry
Maritime: Wet
Tropical: Warm
Polar: Cold
Arctic: Very cold
e.g Polar Continental is cold and dry

Here's a handy link to the BBC bitesize page on air masses, it helped me alot: www.bbc.co.uk/education/guides/zsxcwmn/revision/2
Good luck! :smile:
Original post by SSJBlue
You sound like you know what you're doing, good luck! :smile: And thank you for the advice, I have some experience with describe and explain as we have to differentiate between the two in my Bus man course alot haha

Best of luck for you :smile:
Original post by (bryn)

How do you already know what you got in the assignment?
Reply 10
How do you already know what you got in the assignment?

our teacher helped to come up with the marking scheme for the assignment, and she was able to tell me what i'd get

apparently she will be marking a lot of the assignments (not the ones from our class, obviously)

she says that, at the very least i will get 19/20 if the marker is harsh, but that my assignment was worthy of 20/20
a few of my teachers are like that (my engineering science teacher claims that he's the head of engineering science for the whole of scotland, and he says we all got 50+ on our assignments, and my computing teacher has already given us our assignment scores, although i don't know if she was allowed to do that).

what was your assignment on?
a lot of my class did it on population, but i think i'd struggle to write an essay on something i find so boring

Original post by SSJBlue
There is a simple formula I stick to when it comes to air masses
Continental: Dry
Maritime: Wet
Tropical: Warm
Polar: Cold
Arctic: Very cold
e.g Polar Continental is cold and dry

Here's a handy link to the BBC bitesize page on air masses, it helped me alot: www.bbc.co.uk/education/guides/zsxcwmn/revision/2
Good luck! :smile:

wow, thanks a lot! iirc the typical questions are like "describe the effects of a prolonged spell of tropical continental air mass during the summer" or something along those lines. you just made my exam a whole lot easier at any rate.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by (bryn)
wow, thanks a lot! iirc the typical questions are like "describe the effects of a prolonged spell of tropical continental air mass during the summer" or something along those lines. you just made my exam a whole lot easier at any rate.

No problem, glad to be of assistance! Best of luck :smile:
Original post by (bryn)
our teacher helped to come up with the marking scheme for the assignment, and she was able to tell me what i'd get

apparently she will be marking a lot of the assignments (not the ones from our class, obviously)

she says that, at the very least i will get 19/20 if the marker is harsh, but that my assignment was worthy of 20/20
a few of my teachers are like that (my engineering science teacher claims that he's the head of engineering science for the whole of scotland, and he says we all got 50+ on our assignments, and my computing teacher has already given us our assignment scores, although i don't know if she was allowed to do that).

what was your assignment on?
a lot of my class did it on population, but i think i'd struggle to write an essay on something i find so boring

Well done with your assignments :smile:
Our teachers don't give us any feedback unfortunately.
For the assignment we didn't get to choose our topic as the whole class had to do the same thing which was about deciding if our nearest town center was a low, middle or high order service center. It was really boring, I would much rather have done something more interesting by myself and we had to spend ages on it because the geography classes in my school aren't in sets and I have a really bad class :frown: I think I did get a good mark though
Reply 13
Well done with your assignments :smile:
Our teachers don't give us any feedback unfortunately.
For the assignment we didn't get to choose our topic as the whole class had to do the same thing which was about deciding if our nearest town center was a low, middle or high order service center. It was really boring, I would much rather have done something more interesting by myself and we had to spend ages on it because the geography classes in my school aren't in sets and I have a really bad class :frown: I think I did get a good mark though

nice!
don't get me wrong though, the way we did the assignment was slightly frustrating too
we were basically just told to research a topic related to geography and then write about it, with the lack of structure being why, imo, most of the class was driven towards population

my school's geography classes are supposedly in sets, but my friend is in my class despite only getting 5 in the prelim, so i think it's probably to motivate us or something.
Reply 14
Just here to wish you guys a final good luck, and I'll see you in the afternoon! Relax, take it easy and answer every question. I'm sure you will be fine.
How did you all find that?
I think it went really well :h:
I didn't like question 14b where you had to explain the causes of heart disease because I only knew how to describe and that question with the picture that had a, b, c and you had to match using the grid reference was weird
But I think I have definitely got an A :h:
Reply 16
How did you all find that?
I think it went really well :h:
I didn't like question 14b where you had to explain the causes of heart disease because I only knew how to describe and that question with the picture that had a, b, c and you had to match using the grid reference was weird
But I think I have definitely got an A :h:

i didn't like question 3, i've never come across a question like that before
it seemed like you were supposed to use the contour lines, but i ended up just getting out my ruler, estimating the scale and writing them down accordingly

other than that, i think i did pretty well. i definitely found english to be a lot easier though.
Reply 17
I found the paper quite tough lol
The A,B,C thing was weird, I've not seen that come up in a past paper before. I'm really disappointed that no costal landscape questions came up, that was my best unit. Struggled to remember how a U shaped valley is formed. Also in that question about the suburbs and inner city I used the word "suburbic" which I just found out isn't even a word :colondollar: Also had a slight disaster when I accidentally spilt water on my paper. Also for that weather question did you pick chart X or Y? I did X. The invigilators let me keep the question paper so if anybody wants any pictures of a particular question, just ask me :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by SSJBlue
I found the paper quite tough lol
The A,B,C thing was weird, I've not seen that come up in a past paper before. I'm really disappointed that no costal landscape questions came up, that was my best unit. Struggled to remember how a U shaped valley is formed. Also in that question about the suburbs and inner city I used the word "suburbic" which I just found out isn't even a word :colondollar: Also had a slight disaster when I accidentally spilt water on my paper. Also for that weather question did you pick chart X or Y? I did X. The invigilators let me keep the question paper so if anybody wants any pictures of a particular question, just ask me :smile:

i picked X, but the only thing i mentioned about the isobars was that it's consistent with glasgow being windy as the isobars are close together. other than that, i just talked about the effects of being near a front, e.g. the cloud cover, the rain etc

by the ABC question, do you mean the one where you were given a black and white photograph?
i just identified the sort of "spit" things near the docks and used that to place everything else, because it was the most distinctive feature
as for the u-shaped valley, i couldn't remember the model answer for it, so i started off doing it like the model answer for a corrie ("snow collected high up in the mountains and was gradually compressed into ice (the start of the ice age). this ice was then forced down the mountain..."), but instead of talking about the hollow, i talked about what would happen if it entered the v-shaped valley, e.g. plucking and abrasion, sides become steeper, floor becomes flat, at the end of the ice age you're sometimes left with a misfit stream/ribbon lake, etc
Reply 19
I picked Y, I'm regretting it now. I had X for the whole exam then in the last second changed. I did it because the cold front was coming in from the north but I really don't know.

It had to be tundra management strategies that came up! I was making loads up hoping some of it's right lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending