The Student Room Group

16 and never had a boyfriend

I'm 16 and never had a boyfriend... Is this weird?
All my friends have had boyfriends, I haven't even kissed a guy.. Like I've liked people in the past and stuff but never really got close enough to anyone, they didn't like me back etc. I've never met anyone that I actually properly really like with the same interests as me.. I'm really worried about it because its quite weird to have never done anything. I don't know what the problem is because I'm a nice person and people always compliment me on my looks, figure, intelligence, kindness etc so what can't i get a boyfriend? I am going to sixth form in September and I just wish someone would pay attention to me for once instead of my friends who are really promiscuous..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's not weird at all. I didn't get my first kiss until I was 18 and my first boyfriend when I went off to uni.
Believe me, you don't want the stress that comes with them whilst you're still in school.
When you're 40 you will not give a **** who you held hands with at 16 unless they give you an sti/std in which case it might stay with you forever so don't do anything stupid in order to gain brownie points from your mates. You're only 16 calm down!
Reply 4
Girls who complain about never having a bf are behemoths or extremely picky. 99% of the time it's the latter.
It's alright, I've gone 18 years without one

Ngl I did feel inadequate sometimes because nearly everyone in my year was going out with someone at one point, and I felt like something was really wrong with me. Then I got over it and realised I have better things to worry about.
Reply 6
You'll survive.
I am the same, and happy. Bf just seems to get complicated and I could do without any additional stress atm with my highers! You'll get a lovely bf I'm sure once you leave school.
Reply 8
I didn't have a boyfriend until I was 16 and then I realised I was gay and now I have a girlfriend. :biggrin:

But seriously, don't worry about it. You'll find someone in time.
You are 16, stop worrying about it, enjoy life.
Original post by Anonymous
All my friends have had boyfriends, I haven't even kissed a guy.. Like I've liked people in the past and stuff but never really got close enough to anyone, they didn't like me back etc. I've never met anyone that I actually properly really like with the same interests as me.. I'm really worried about it because its quite weird to have never done anything. I don't know what the problem is because I'm a nice person and people always compliment me on my looks, figure, intelligence, kindness etc so what can't i get a boyfriend? I am going to sixth form in September and I just wish someone would pay attention to me for once instead of my friends who are really promiscuous..

What's with all these anon relationship seeker advice threads about??

OP i'm 17 never had a girlfriend but what does it matter?
Just because society tells you that it's normal to have a boyfriend early on(or wherever you got that idea from) doesn't mean you have to conform to that and follow along with it.
Original post by Airmed
It's not weird at all. I didn't get my first kiss until I was 18 and my first boyfriend when I went off to uni.

Your mum never kissed you?
Reply 11
Original post by thefatone

Just because society tells you that it's normal to have a boyfriend early on(or wherever you got that idea from) doesn't mean you have to conform to that and follow along with it.

Don't have one. :h:
It's more common than you think.
It's not something to care about. Having a boyfriend isn't the be all and end all to life, just wait until you find someone and don't stress about it. A lot of people don't get their first boyfriend/girlfriend until their in college/university.
Reply 14
You probably won't have a "proper" relationship until you're in your twenties

I turned 18 in October and I've only just recently started 'seeing' a boy. It's been almost 2 months soon, we were talking for like a good couple of months previously.

I'd consider this my first proper relationship. All, I'm going to say is patience is key, don't rush into anything.

Also, don't panic about the whole kissing too, it'll happen one day.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by thefatone

Its not society, its channels like disney channel and other teen shows that influence this/

All shows on disney show some kind of relationship taking, yet they have an extremely young audience.
You can say i got a tin foil hat, but I actually believe disney is responsible for the lower generations being so dumb,
yes worry. Panic HARD.

you should have had a partner 1 year ago!!!!
I'm 22 and never had a boyfriend or girlfriend.

My advice is to get close to a guy that you like. If he is extremely shy, then take a bit of the lead and ask him out. Don't think that we are still in 1942 or something. Girls can take the lead now, as long as you have a balance approach to equality in the relationships.

You should also try to be more social, if you are not. Go to BBQ events, malls, cinema etc., you know the standard stuff. Get to meet new people and avoid becoming a social recluse.

Finally, if you have ridiculously high standards, then I think you should reduce it down a bit. I am not saying that you should compromise yourself, but be more thoughtful.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending