Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Marvel vs DC

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

(Original post by Ras' Al Ghul)
    2011 till now isn't that long.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The Marvel Cinematic Universe started with Iron Man in 2008.

(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    He was owned by Fox (like the X-Men) until last year, so Marvels film studio couldn't use him.
    Spider-Man was (and still is) owned by Sony. They are sharing the rights with Marvel: Sony are financing the upcoming solo Spider-Man film while Marvel has creative control - they picked Tom Holland to play him and chose the director etc. Good call IMO.

(Original post by AmirahxRashid)
    how can you
    DC films are overrated and crap
    the only one that was good was the batman trilogy with
    Christian bale
    and civil war got 90% rating on the rotten tomatoes
    and bvs got 27%
    u do da maths
    It's ironic that the only good DC films so far are Christian Bale and Michael Keaton's Batman films when they're not actually part of the current universe DC is building so they don't count. I did enjoy Man Of Steel but it worked better as a solo film and did nothing to establish a continuity like Marvel have been doing for years. DC started their universe as an afterthought in the wake of Marvel's success, made some hasty decisions and stuffed too much into Batman V Superman, which is why it didn't do well. I haven't seen it myself, but I can already tell that Captain America is the superior film.

In my opinion, I think generally Marvel do better films and DC have the better TV shows. It really depends on what you enjoy though, for the most part. DC feels a lot darker, but I enjoy the Marvel films more. I prefer the characters, the sequencing of all the films in the MCU, and the direction. That being said, Gotham is really great.

Its not even close Marvel by a long way. DC have a lot of work to do to catch up Marvel with regards to the films.

If you are looking for an amazing (yet childish) movie, Marvel is the way forward.
    Even though sometimes DC movies can be full of holes, they pack mature scenes that comic-book movies need to give us a break from the ridiculousness of some Marvel movies. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Marvel Movies, but I don't think you can judge either DC nor Marvel above each other because they cater towards a different audience:

Marvel caters towards a fun story for kids and for selling toys,
    DC caters towards a darker themed and toned move for adults, with fairly weak stories, yet a very visual experience.

That is all, humans.

(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    After watching Batman vs Superman: Dawn of the Sequels and Captain America: Civil War, a friend made the point to me that while both films do the whole ethical dilemma of superheroes and whether they should be liable for the damage caused by their heroism, Captain America did it so much better.

Such as actually having the dispute between them clear and running throughout the film rather than just tossing in the fight at the end as an after thought, with the context as to why they were fighting clear, rather than just "****, we need to make them fight - insert plotpoint here" and having a villain who wasn't just stock zany maniac, and balancing the levity (mostly from anything Antman did tbf) with the serious themes and the serious themes being done through characterisation rather than just filming in the dark... The points can go on really, since Batman vs Superman: The Justice League: The Trailer was such a dreadful pile

Given Marvel is obviously miles ahead of DC in the film making stakes, what does DC need to do to catch up?
    I prefer Marvel because they are a lot more fun and tick all the boxes in regards to fight scenes, comedy and story. Don't get me wrong, I like some of DC too, but I find it a lot more gloomy.

Yes, you could argue Marvel is aimed at kids also, but it's the only one out of the two that makes me react like a little excited fangirl who's highschool crush just noticed her for the first time, everytime they release something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Am I the only one that can't wait for a DC/Marvel crossover event??!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.