The Student Room Group

Girls tell it to me honestly. Be as brutal as you like.

I'm a guy. Without boasting or being cocky, I used to "pull" girls without really trying because I was fairly good looking, fun to be around and smart. Then came the nightmare of nightmares. Acne. I have acne. Since I got acne in late year 10, I feel as though girls are just not interested in me. I am now in Year 12. I think over the course of year 11 and year 12 i pulled maybe three girls in total and made one of them my girlfriend. My acne isnt terrible. Its bad but its not as bad as some people have it. But I am almost 100% certain that this is why girls dont have much interest in me anymore. So For the girls.. does acne affect whether you're interested in someone..be brutal. Be honest. I want to know. Ty.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm a guy. Without boasting or being cocky, I used to "pull" girls without really trying because I was fairly good looking, fun to be around and smart. Then came the nightmare of nightmares. Acne. I have acne. Since I got acne in late year 10, I feel as though girls are just not interested in me. I am now in Year 12. I think over the course of year 11 and year 12 i pulled maybe three girls in total and made one of them my girlfriend. My acne isnt terrible. Its bad but its not as bad as some people have it. But I am almost 100% certain that this is why girls dont have much interest in me anymore. So For the girls.. does acne affect whether you're interested in someone..be brutal. Be honest. I want to know. Ty.

Not really - if I like someone, then I like them. Regardless of their appearance.
Gonna be brutally honest and say yes

Depends severity of the acne

If the guy maintains the same confidence and still dresses well and has a respectful attitude etc, then it wouldn't phase me. Someone being comfortable in their own skin makes them much more attractive in my opinion.
Anyway, it'll be gone in a few years time and you'll forget you even had it.
Reply 4

You used to pull girls before Y10 (!!) when you got acne.
Before Y10 I did not know that you could pull your plonker, let alone girls.
And now with acne you still pulled 3?!
And you have a girlfriend!
Sorry I am losing sympathy.
Reply 5
Original post by samina_ay
Gonna be brutally honest and say yes

Depends severity of the acne

Thanks for being honest... Do you think confidence outweighs acne?
In b4 the jokes calling you a spotted díck.
(edited 5 years ago)
Get over it quickly, if you have bad acne now chances are you will get a receding hairline pretty quickly soon too, all to do with your DHT levels.
Thanks for being honest... Do you think confidence outweighs acne?

Confidence does outweigh many things - so remain confident :biggrin: and hope your acne clears up.
Reply 9
Original post by M14B
You used to pull girls before Y10 (!!) when you got acne.
Before Y10 I did not know that you could pull your plonker, let alone girls.
And now with acne you still pulled 3?!
And you have a girlfriend!
Sorry I am losing sympathy.

Err, by "pulling" i mean.. i didnt care for relationships or girls in general... idek what i was doing with my life but girls were always calling me hot/cute/ good looking or asking me out... which makes me assume i was good looking then ..also my acne just got worst as time progressed... i feel like it may be healing now but its slow and very painful.. practically have no self-esteem left.. also I had* a girlfriend.. again i feel like she left me because of my acne.. that might be me being paranoid but it feels bad
My boyfriend was covered in acne all over his chest and face when we first met and his acne was bad, really bad and then after he took Accutane for it, it cleared up most of the acne on his face but left him with small keloid scars on his face and giant keloid scars over her back, chest and arms and his dermatologist said it's the worst case of keloid scarring from acne he's seen. I can honestly say that his spots and then the scars didn't put me off him in the slightest.

Sure, acne isn't a turn on but see after a short while, you don't notice it any more when you look at a person you love or fancy. I totally forget a lot of the time about his scars until we go to a pool and people see him with his top off and they look at him and even then all I think is "oh yeah he has those scars" and then that's it, the thought goes away again.

Having acne doesn't make you undateable.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carrotstar
If the guy maintains the same confidence and still dresses well and has a respectful attitude etc, then it wouldn't phase me. Someone being comfortable in their own skin makes them much more attractive in my opinion.
Anyway, it'll be gone in a few years time and you'll forget you even had it.

Idk why but i get what youre saying.. i just dont take it entirely seriously.. it feels too far fetched.... somehow all that can outweigh a guy covered in marks on his face
Get over it quickly, if you have bad acne now chances are you will get a receding hairline pretty quickly soon too, all to do with your DHT levels.

Love it m8... looks like im forever alone :l
Idk why but i get what youre saying.. i just dont take it entirely seriously.. it feels too far fetched.... somehow all that can outweigh a guy covered in marks on his face

A good example of this is people with glasses. You don't think of them any differently, but as soon as the glasses come off they look strange. The glasses become part of them but it doesn't make you think of them negatively, does it? I guess that one applies more when you're younger and not able to wear contacts. Same goes for people with braces, because so many people have them when they're a teenager.
Original post by QueenBee98
Not really - if I like someone, then I like them. Regardless of their appearance.

Aw, but does looks affect whether you like someone? :L
Reply 15
Yeah it does affect what I think of boys. Because acne can look revolting it's a hug turn off. Especially when they don't do anything about it such as use steroid cream ect and make it worse by squeezing spots 😷
Posted from TSR Mobile

To me, if I fit had acne it wouldn't bother me, i would get with a guy because I liked them, but if they had acne or not x
Yeah it does. Not gonna lie. But I think it works both ways. Have you considered going to the doctors? You can get pills and/or creams which help?

I used to be hella spotty but after a visit to my GP my skin is so much better now. Also drink lots of water and try to avoid copious amounts of milk because that is alleged to inflame pimples.

Good luck buddy, I'm sure you'll grow out of your spots soon.

Also fyi, not all girls are anti-acne, its down to personal preference, so don't get disheartened and think of yourself as some kind of leper. I'm probably just super shallow.
Original post by carrotstar
A good example of this is people with glasses. You don't think of them any differently, but as soon as the glasses come off they look strange. The glasses become part of them but it doesn't make you think of them negatively, does it? I guess that one applies more when you're younger and not able to wear contacts. Same goes for people with braces, because so many people have them when they're a teenager.

I see what you're saying.. maybe im just very insecure.. in year 7 i had a really reallu short phase where i had a crush and i got braces and it made me really insecure.. then it was glasses in year 10... now I have glasses and acne :L The worst part is people notice acne.. and even though i laugh it off.. it eventually gets to you and you kinda lose what self-esteem you have.
Original post by Lucylvo
Yeah it does affect what I think of boys. Because acne can look revolting it's a hug turn off. Especially when they don't do anything about it such as use steroid cream ect and make it worse by squeezing spots 😷

Fair enough, thanks for being honest.
See I have tried to get rid of my acne... but it ends up with me ruining my face lol.. and unfortunately most treatments are temporary and have side effects. Squeezing spots is something you try to resist but sometimes you just brush your face and somehow a lot of your spots pop :frown:
Just know that people who have acne are 100% trying to get rid of it.. its just not working for them

Quick Reply

Latest