The Student Room Group

Loughborough or Brunel

Hi guys, really confused and I hope this page helps me get an answer!

I'm currently in my first year at Loughborough studying English and Drama, but I'm not fully settled in yet- I'm an explorer and like doing things in the day, but being a small town, this isn't possible. Gets a bit miserable, so I'm thinking of transferring to Brunel for second year, which I know isn't in Central, but it's still London...

This is the dilemma:If I stay at Lough, I would potentially be studying in Australia for a semester (3-4 months) but I won't know for certain until I start my 2nd year- right now its about 95% certain. But then there's something drawing me to London as it's where I want to be, I might be able to explore more acting opportunities.

Living in London is a dream of mine and now is the only time for certain where I can afford it as Student Finance will help fund it- nothing in the future promises this.

Reputation wise, Lough is better but don't know how important this is. Degree at Brunel will be called English and Theatre.

Hope you guys can help!!!
If you aren't happy at Loughborough and you want to go to Brunel, you should go to Brunel. You certainly shouldn't stay at a university you hate just so you can do a semester abroad. That said... university is a place for studying, location is a secondary issue - do you actually like the Brunel course?
Original post by jam123456
Hi guys, really confused and I hope this page helps me get an answer!

I'm currently in my first year at Loughborough studying English and Drama, but I'm not fully settled in yet- I'm an explorer and like doing things in the day, but being a small town, this isn't possible. Gets a bit miserable, so I'm thinking of transferring to Brunel for second year, which I know isn't in Central, but it's still London...

This is the dilemma:If I stay at Lough, I would potentially be studying in Australia for a semester (3-4 months) but I won't know for certain until I start my 2nd year- right now its about 95% certain. But then there's something drawing me to London as it's where I want to be, I might be able to explore more acting opportunities.

Living in London is a dream of mine and now is the only time for certain where I can afford it as Student Finance will help fund it- nothing in the future promises this.

Reputation wise, Lough is better but don't know how important this is. Degree at Brunel will be called English and Theatre.

Hope you guys can help!!!

I agree with the other comment. If you're having thoughts about dropping out and have your mind set on a different course then you should probably go for it. I actually dropped out of Loughborough a few months ago for similar reasons (amongst other things).

Double check that you like the look of the new course and ask them if you would be able to transfer. Yeah Loughborough has a better repuation but in the grand scheme of things it's probably not going to have any impact on anything you do post-university since Loughborough itself is still relatively unknown (somehow!?) and Brunel isn't an awful uni by any stretch of the imagination.
Reply 3
Original post by Snufkin
If you aren't happy at Loughborough and you want to go to Brunel, you should go to Brunel. You certainly shouldn't stay at a university you hate just so you can do a semester abroad. That said... university is a place for studying, location is a secondary issue - do you actually like the Brunel course?

Thanks so much for your reply! I'm not 100% happy at Loughborough mainly because I feel I don't fit in and it feels like there's some kind of segregation, which a few other agree with too. Saying that, I don't hate it either.

The course in Brunel is appealing, yes. I went there for my audition and have got a place, it's just a case of whether or not I want to accept it.

London would hopefully be a better and bigger place for opportunities. I just wish I could pick Lough and drop it into London.

Do you know much about whether or not reputation of a uni is very important?
Reply 4
Original post by pizzanomics
I agree with the other comment. If you're having thoughts about dropping out and have your mind set on a different course then you should probably go for it. I actually dropped out of Loughborough a few months ago for similar reasons (amongst other things).

Double check that you like the look of the new course and ask them if you would be able to transfer. Yeah Loughborough has a better repuation but in the grand scheme of things it's probably not going to have any impact on anything you do post-university since Loughborough itself is still relatively unknown (somehow!?) and Brunel isn't an awful uni by any stretch of the imagination.

Thanks for that! Interesting to know that you dropped out for similar reasons.

Yeah I will be able to transfer straight to 2nd year, I have an offer, now it's down to me to make a decision. I'm just worried that my results may not be as good as they have been at Lough, just incase lecturers aren't as helpful, or things like that. :/ Need to decide asap though.
Original post by jam123456
Thanks for that! Interesting to know that you dropped out for similar reasons.

Yeah I will be able to transfer straight to 2nd year, I have an offer, now it's down to me to make a decision. I'm just worried that my results may not be as good as they have been at Lough, just incase lecturers aren't as helpful, or things like that. :/ Need to decide asap though.

No problem. Yeah, I don't think I made the most of the 'student experience' there and just spent most of the time shut in my room. I think you have to be a specific kind of person to really enjoy and get the most out of Loughborough... but I am not that kind of person. I still think it's a good uni though. :smile: I just want to go to a city that's a lot bigger and not confined to a campus.

That's alright then, I'm sure you will be fine honestly. I don't want to seem biased since I also left Lufbra, but like I said in the other reply, if you've having doubts and have already made plans to go elsewhere then it's probably a sign that you should follow through with them. At the end of the day though only you will know what's right for you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest