The Student Room Group
cpat
A spacecraft on a journey from the earth to the moon feels no resultant gravitational pull from the earth and the moon when it has travelled to a point of distance between their centres. Calculate the masson of the moon, using the value for the mass of the earth as 6x10^24 kg.

Please help!

It's just a case of balancing the gravitational forces for the Earth and the moon. The resultant force is zero so:

GMmoonm(REMx)2=GMEarthmx2\frac{GM_{moon}m}{(R_{EM}-x)^2}=\frac{GM_{Earth}m}{x^2}

you need more information though, are you given the distance from the Earth to the moon, which I called REMR_{EM} and the distance from the earth to the rocket, x?
Reply 2
Ah I did this question the other day. The question states it's 0.9 the distance between Earth and Moon (starting at Earth).

So R for Earth is 0.9R and for Moon is 0.1R. Then you just equate as mentioned above. You can take g as being equal so it's just the GM/R^2 which gets equated for Earth and Moon.
aqfrenzy
Ah I did this question the other day. The question states it's 0.9 the distance between Earth and Moon (starting at Earth).

So R for Earth is 0.9R and for Moon is 0.1R. Then you just equate as mentioned above. You can take g as being equal so it's just the GM/R^2 which gets equated for Earth and Moon.

g as being equal? That's not correct, and you don't need to assume it. It is g=GM/R^2 where the Ms are different, but you don't need to assume it anyway since you know the mass of the earth and the radius R will cancel out. The mass of the rocket also cancels out.

Latest